IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

22 hours ago, Red Homer said:

Last time that Bristol went up, if memory serves me correctly, didn't they have a similar start? I think that once the Autumn internationals, and then the 6 nations start, Bristol could start to climb the table, as most other teams will have lots of international players out

that is what I call an optimist! Robinson is a disgrace. Low point was when they lost Ellis Genge who was a south bristol lad destined for stardom who we left on the bench and went straight into the Leicester first team! Robinson make Odriscoll look like Fergy. Get rid of him now!

2 hours ago, Antman said:

My mate (a rugby fan who cant afford the tickets) came with me and he couldn't understand why they didn't run it more - every time they kicked it straight down the throat of the sale lot and allowed them to come forward.

they looked like a team with no belief and more than a little out of their depth. Sale effectively tore them a new arsehole at their liesure!

its been the same week in week out, we have players who can't kick trying to kick and failing, awful

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 22:06, 29AR said:

Apologies if already touched upon but the cards are really stacked against an upcoming championship team. Because they do not know they are promoted until after the playoffs they are so far behind in preparing to try to deal with the gulf. Any player that's good enough is likely snapped up long before the playoffs are over and really are not holding out to see who gets promoted. The reason upcoming sides find it so difficult is because of this and the gulf in class. It really is nigh on impossible but for a few exceptions. The Aviva Premiership is a de facto closed shop. 

I also worry that if we go up we would also get slaughtered every week like Bristol it cant be much fun for the fans sometimes the journey is much better than the destination

On 31/10/2016 at 20:18, Acton Red said:

that is what I call an optimist! Robinson is a disgrace. Low point was when they lost Ellis Genge who was a south bristol lad destined for stardom who we left on the bench and went straight into the Leicester first team! Robinson make Odriscoll look like Fergy. Get rid of him now!

Genge left for "personal reasons" as it goes. He probably is destined for big things. Just not in bristol. 

23 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

But it takes about 90 minutes to play 80. Not as bad as American Football where a 60 minute lasts about 4 hours.

For a reason that I can't figure out I absolutely love NFL but despite watching many rugby games over the past 20 years I just can't into it. I keep trying but I just find it Impossible. 

I don't mind the breaks in NFL, you get a couple of seconds on really intense play and then a couple of minutes to analyse that play.

Even with the big screen at Ashton Gate I was struggling to see what was going on. Couldn't for the life of me see where the ball was during the scrums.

13 hours ago, Up The City! said:

For a reason that I can't figure out I absolutely love NFL but despite watching many rugby games over the past 20 years I just can't into it. I keep trying but I just find it Impossible. 

I don't mind the breaks in NFL, you get a couple of seconds on really intense play and then a couple of minutes to analyse that play.

Even with the big screen at Ashton Gate I was struggling to see what was going on. Couldn't for the life of me see where the ball was during the scrums.

Watch the other code. league is pretty much superior in every way.

No line outs, the odd scrum, but as it is head and feed it just ties up the forwards for a while. no pointless kicking. Atmosphere like football, terraces with beer.

Mark Tainton appointed acting head coach

http://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/tainton-appointed-as-acting-head-coach/

yes, I will move it to the non footie forum in a while, but it is Bristol Sport related if nothing else. I just thought more people would like to hear the news first on here as they might not see it on non footie.

• Like 1

• Admin

ANDY Robinson is on the verge of leaving Bristol Rugby after almost four years, having been suspended by the club.

The director of rugby, whose team have lost all nine matches they have played this season, has two and a half seasons remaining on the three-year contract he signed during the summer.

Bristol, though, have decided to act with the team seven points adrift at the bottom of the table after seven Aviva Premiership matches.

Robinson had been at the club as usual this week, taking a lengthy video analysis session of Sunday's 31-13 home defeat against Sale on Tuesday morning.

But he has been told to stay away from the club pending "an immediate review of the coaching needs and requirements".

In the meantime, Bristol have appointed Mark Tainton as acting head coach.

The club's former fly-half and all-time leading points scorer, Tainton has a variety of experience in coaching from his spells with Ireland, Wasps and London Irish.

In a statement, the club said: "Bristol Rugby have decided, following the extremely disappointing start to the season, to appoint Mark Tainton as acting head coach with immediate effect.

"The club have also taken the decision to suspend the current director of rugby, Andy Robinson, from his role. The club will carry out an immediate review of their coaching needs and requirements.

"That review will be completed as quickly as possible."

Club chairman Chris Booy, who opted against publicly backing Robinson when he spoke to the Post earlier this week, said: "This is clearly a very difficult time for the club, but we remain confident we can retain our position in the Premiership.

"The support for the club this season has been outstanding and that continued backing is very important going forward. Thank you."

Robinson joined Bristol toward the end of the 2012-13 season – and, after losing in the GKIPA Championship finals in both 2013-14 and 2014-15, finally guided them to the top flight at the end of last season.

But their return to the Premiership after seven years has been nothing short of a nightmare so far. They pushed Harlequins close in the opening game of the season, leading 14-3 before losing 21-19, but have taken only one point since – in a 19-14 loss at Newcastle.

Their home form has been alarmingly poor, losing all five Premiership and European Challenge Cup matches without taking so much as a single bonus point.

If – or, more likely, when – Robinson departs the club, Bristol will look for a big-name replacement, with Heyneke Meyer and Gary Gold among those who are both availableand have experience of the Premiership.

Read more at http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/andy-robinson-on-the-brink-at-bristol-rugby-after-being-suspended-by-club/story-29865405-detail/story.html#kQvzCV8CH4jLRYb7.99

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BITW said:

Suspended from his role? Is that the norm in rugby?

No idea. I'm guessing it's a bit like gardening leave from football. They are either redefining his role, bringing in help for him for example which he might not be keen on, or most likely working out severance pay which could be a long drawn out process? But whatever it is they want him 'hands off' as soon as possible.

On 01/11/2016 at 21:00, RedM said:

Yes he personally fell out with Robinson. Bristol's loss for sure. 

No that wasn't the reason, in fact Robinson helped him get game time at Tiggers. He still comes to watch us when he can, proper Bris boy. 

Anyhoo , thanks to Robinson and all the best. Hope this doesn't make things worse (doubtful tbf) and quality replacement(s) are found to keep us up. 

We are Bristol . . . 

1 hour ago, Rinkadink said:

No. 

Interesting wording for sure but what we can infer from it I don't know. 

Local TV are saying a South African, didn't catch his name, is rumoured to be taking over soon. MrRedM heard this a few days ago from a workmate who is a rugby fan, he was also accurate about Robinson so this might be true.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Local TV are saying a South African, didn't catch his name, is rumoured to be taking over soon. MrRedM heard this a few days ago from a workmate who is a rugby fan, he was also accurate about Robinson so this might be true.

Heyneke Meyer? Seen his name linked on twitter but not from anyone I'd know to be reputable.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Heyneke Meyer? Seen his name linked on twitter but not from anyone I'd know to be reputable.

This is what the unofficial forum have been saying. 

But then we had unsubstantiated Hogg rumours and the like too. Hard to know what's BS and what is not at the moment . Meyer might be a very good choice , especially if he immediately drafts in emergency fringe-Bokke cover. Worst fear is that this is purely reactionary to fans grumbling and hasn't been part of a plan prior, leading to us having no DoR/HC lined up at all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Yes that's him. Media such as the Telegraph reporting he is favourite to take over too now.

So what do we know about him, right choice. Ambitious choice, cheap option, something totally different or more of the same?

I genuinely do not have a clue about rugby management. It's really brought it home to me how when I hear a football managers name linked with a club I can almost immediately answer those questions, but have a lot to learn about rugby which gets do much less publicity.