IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Yes that's him. Media such as the Telegraph reporting he is favourite to take over too now.

So what do we know about him, right choice. Ambitious choice, cheap option, something totally different or more of the same?

I genuinely do not have a clue about rugby management. It's really brought it home to me how when I hear a football managers name linked with a club I can almost immediately answer those questions, but have a lot to learn about rugby which gets do much less publicity.

I don't watch a lot of Premiership rugby or Super Rugby so my only knowledge of him is during his time as Springbok coach where, despite an indifferent last year or so, I'd say he did fairly well with an ageing team on the way down. Would be a good appointment in my opinion.

As Northern Red says, certainly not a cheap option. He's won Super Rugby with the Bulls and coached the Boks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rinkadink said:

This is what the unofficial forum have been saying. 

But then we had unsubstantiated Hogg rumours and the like too. Hard to know what's BS and what is not at the moment . Meyer might be a very good choice , especially if he immediately drafts in emergency fringe-Bokke cover. Worst fear is that this is purely reactionary to fans grumbling and hasn't been part of a plan prior, leading to us having no DoR/HC lined up at all. 

The Currie Cup finished a couple of weeks ago so there should be opportunities to get a few SA players over. Someone with Meyer's profile should help with that. Here's hoping anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedM said:

Breaking news. Officially sacked now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37894094

For me over a year too late. The Worcester play offs should have been it. Need to get the biggest name coach we can to lure the very best available to save our season. Unlikely though.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Have to say that Bristol have handled this really poorly. To 'suspend' him rather than just sack him (since I've seen no mention of wrongdoing on his part) is pretty crap.

To go 1/3 of season with no head coach is also appalling.  Theyv managed to make a right hash of things. What a waster opportunity.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Have to say that Bristol have handled this really poorly. To 'suspend' him rather than just sack him (since I've seen no mention of wrongdoing on his part) is pretty crap.

Does seem very odd. Makes me think he was being led down the 'mutual consent' route but perhaps he wasn't having any of it? Mutual consent, a financial agreement and all parties save a bit of face. Sacking maybe means all his contract paid up and bad feeling between all involved, and less attractive to incoming people?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

To go 1/3 of season with no head coach is also appalling.  Theyv managed to make a right hash of things. What a waster opportunity.

Totally agree. I didn't even realise that they hadn't replaced Holley until last month. Holley's reputation in Wales precedes him so I'm not surprised that he got the curly finger, but it's ridiculous that they've gone into the premiership with no head coach and the defence and backs being handled by total novices in Thomas and Peel (not to say they aren't any good, who knows). 

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Does seem very odd. Makes me think he was being led down the 'mutual consent' route but perhaps he wasn't having any of it? Mutual consent, a financial agreement and all parties save a bit of face. Sacking maybe means all his contract paid up and bad feeling between all involved, and less attractive to incoming people?

That does seem likely, RedM. If so then fair play to him for telling them where to stick it. If they were so unsure about him that they've jettisoned him after seven games then they shouldn't have given him a new three year contract. That's their problem, not his. Nonetheless, to suspend him when they just want rid is unnecessary and humiliating. Assuming he's done nothing wrong then he deserves to be treated better than that. All it's done is made the club look a complete joke.

Ultimately they're only a couple of wins away from catching Worcester but they have to put someone in place who'll get them organised very soon.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, phantom said:

To get "suspended" I would view that has having done something wrong?

Would someone be suspended just because the team were crap?

All very odd, and sadly makes Bristol RFC look pretty poor at the moment with their handling of the scenario 

The problem is the Worcester game happened before he was sacked. They had to announce something or rumours would have circulated as he obviously was not there.  

• Admin
23 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

The problem is the Worcester game happened before he was sacked. They had to announce something or rumours would have circulated as he obviously was not there.  

Sorry, I don't get what you mean?

He was told to keep away from the club after the defeat to Sale - why wasn't he sacked in that week up to the Worcester game?

• Admin

Bristol Rugby’s Aviva Premiership derby clash against Bath at Ashton Gate has been moved to Sunday, 26 February (1pm KO) and will be broadcast live on BT Sport.

The fixture was originally scheduled to be played on Friday, 24 February, but has now been chosen for live broadcast.

Bristol’s trip to Worcester in March will also be shown live and has been moved from Saturday 4 to Sunday, 5 March (3pm KO).

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Bristol Rugby’s Aviva Premiership derby clash against Bath at Ashton Gate has been moved to Sunday, 26 February (1pm KO) and will be broadcast live on BT Sport.

The fixture was originally scheduled to be played on Friday, 24 February, but has now been chosen for live broadcast.

Bristol’s trip to Worcester in March will also be shown live and has been moved from Saturday 4 to Sunday, 5 March (3pm KO).

City play Newcastle on the 25th don't we? Stop messing with my travel plans sky and BT!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RedM said:

I must be the jinx, Bristol doing so much better without me there. :blink: Looking so much stronger, Tovey just scored a lovely try too. But Sale have just put Stringer on :noexp:

Was watching Munster hammer the NZ Maori, RedM. Another famous night at Thomond Park. How did Woodward and the team play? And how did Strings go?

11 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Was watching Munster hammer the NZ Maori, RedM. Another famous night at Thomond Park. How did Woodward and the team play? And how did Strings go?

Don't forget I'm only seeing this through my fairly uneducated eyes, but Woodward made a huge, huge, difference tonight. Scored one try and involved in another and had a hand in everything else.  Bristol were so up for it, more physical and determined. Certainly playing like they had a point to prove. Varndell also had a very good game, missed his running whilst he was injured recently. One Bristol player (Hawkins ?) lost his head and did a late shoulder charge as we scored a try late in the first half, he was binned for that and his part in the brawl which followed. I expected a Bristol collapse but they just grew stronger!

Strings came on quite late in the game. He got a bloodied head and have to have it bandaged. He came on much too late to turn the game round of course, but whenever he had the ball he did the right thing. 'In the form of his life' the commentators said, wish we had him in our team. 

Obviously this was 'only' a cup game, Bath away will be a different matter. But it was a huge confidence and moral boost. Shame the crowd wasn't bigger to see it, it looked so sparce. Gutted I missed it too.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Just didn't have enough penetration at key moments, a lot of which will be a confidence thing, but overall that was a hell of a lot better.

Agreed. They were much more organised than the last time I saw them v Sale in the league. Didn't get into the Baff 22 enough but really should have gone over at the end there. It's pretty frustrating because Baff were puke. I agree with the commentators who said they need more experience at half back but Searle looks a real find for the future. Fine kicking from hand and off the tee. 

9 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Chiefs stuffed Wuss tonight too so a good result there. Disappointed that Gengey got the "winning" try against his own team last night mind!

I was about to post this - Boxing Day is just getting bigger and bigger, and I expect at least a point from the game v Glos next Sat.

• Like 1