IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

45 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I'm going to that game.. ahaha :facepalm:

Having been to every PL game at AG and witnessed the "boys against men" early in the season Bristol are definitely improving. Although they lost to both Bath and Leicester their performances were very competitive in both, they held their own and managed a bonus losing point against two top sides.

The knowledgeable guys all around me are a little more optimistic about staying up.

Got to keep in mind we played a weakened Bath and Leicester team, but the signs were a lot more positive since Robinson left. The crowd were pretty supportive and generally a feeling of the worst is over, we can pull ourselves away from this.

I think it was announced Bristol have released one player due to injury, Henson can't be far behind. There is talk of more players arriving in January, don't know what is happening to the managers job, (or director if rugby is it called), maybe an announcement will be made soon. Tainton  has done a better job than Robinson did this season, but I think we are looking at a bigger name.

2 hours ago, RedM said:

Got to keep in mind we played a weakened Bath and Leicester team, but the signs were a lot more positive since Robinson left. The crowd were pretty supportive and generally a feeling of the worst is over, we can pull ourselves away from this.

I think it was announced Bristol have released one player due to injury, Henson can't be far behind. There is talk of more players arriving in January, don't know what is happening to the managers job, (or director if rugby is it called), maybe an announcement will be made soon. Tainton  has done a better job than Robinson did this season, but I think we are looking at a bigger name.

Definitely more positive signs, RedM. On the DoR front, it seems to be the popular model now that you have a DoR then a head coach and the rest of the coaching team. Some clubs will have no DoR though, in which case the head coach is in charge. 

10 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

it seems to be the popular model now that you have a DoR then a head coach and the rest of the coaching team. Some clubs will have no DoR though, in which case the head coach is in charge. 

Eddie Jones would my choice. I'm sure SL could afford him.......:whistle:

20 hours ago, Robbored said:

Eddie Jones would my choice. I'm sure SL could afford him.......:whistle:

I think Eddie is too busy complaining about the rules at the moment. I sympathise with his views though. For me, tackling or taking out a player in the air - accidental or not - is extremely dangerous and warrants a red card irrespective of the outcome.

Talking of complaining, I am getting a bit frustrated with the disciplinary process at the moment. In our second test against NZ, Sam Kane wasn't even sent to the bin - and was then bizarrely cleared by a citing committee - after his shoulder charge which left Robbie Henshaw in a neck brace. Fekitoa gets put in the bin for a cheap shot to Simon Zebo's head. He's then subsequently banned for a week. Then against Aussie, Dean Mumm was sent to the bin for a tip tackle on Furlong - a clear red - and has since been cited. There's no excuse for referees and TMOs to mess these decisions up anymore and it isn't good enough. The IRB keep bleating about player welfare, so why aren't we seeing red cards and significant bans for this kind of dangerous play?

Now that that's off my chest, I see that the Evil Post are reporting that Lancaster could be in the frame. He's only at Leinster till the end of the season, he's not the head coach there and Bristol would certainly be able to pay more then the IRFU so I don't think it'd be unrealistic:

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/stuart-lancaster-a-frontrunner-for-bristol-rugby-role-as-club-considers-new-look-structure/story-29938648-detail/story.html

Looks like Bristol are getting Pat Lam. That's a huge blow to Connacht and Irish rugby but a great appointment for Bristol. I'm not surprised that they're happy to wait until the end of the season to secure him, he's an outstanding coach.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pat-lam-to-leave-connacht-at-end-of-season-to-take-on-new-role-at-bristol-1.2893459

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Interesting he's not joining until next season

I imagine Connacht would have told them to fup off if they'd asked. Lam wouldn't leave Connacht in the lurch halfway through the season anyway, he seems a good sort. If you ask me he's worth waiting for, what he's done for Connacht isn't far short of miraculous.

9 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

People seem to think Lancaster as well - infact I'm pretty sure the rugby paper predicted this scenario on the weekend 

I'm not sure this would work unless Lam was the senior figure. I think Lancaster's Leinster contract is only until the end of the season so it could well be true.

8 minutes ago, Super said:

Must be paying him loads!

I think he'll be worth every penny.

• Like 2

Straight battle between us and Worcester. Lose at home to Worcester on Boxing Day and we may as well begin planning for the Championship. Newcastle at home maybe another winnable in 2017, as well as something from Worcester away- but us and Worcester, as they will go on long losing streak so will always be in touch.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

My husband has been talking to a few workmates who are really into Bristol rugby. They aren't happy, not with the appointment but with the fact that in their opinion this season has already been written off, we will either stay up or we won't, by not appointing until the summer we haven't helped ourselves soon enough. They are pretty angry about it, some even saying Robinson might just as well have stayed as we are just floundering along with no power to bring in players etc. 

29 minutes ago, RedM said:

My husband has been talking to a few workmates who are really into Bristol rugby. They aren't happy, not with the appointment but with the fact that in their opinion this season has already been written off, we will either stay up or we won't, by not appointing until the summer we haven't helped ourselves soon enough. They are pretty angry about it, some even saying Robinson might just as well have stayed as we are just floundering along with no power to bring in players etc. 

It's a fair point, but the only coaches available now are those who've been sacked by other clubs or haven't had a job in a while. It's not ideal, but Bristol have secured a brilliant coach who had lots of offers before signing his contract extension with Connacht in the summer. I think it's a good thing that the club are planning long-term and Lam said as much in his interview. Even if Bristol go down this season, I'll be amazed if he doesn't have them stabilised and playing good rugby in the Premiership within two years. They'll also have more power to get deals done with players for next season because potential signings know he'll be coming in. Several of Connacht's stars have just signed contract extensions after Lam signed his. I imagine they're pretty livid now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

It's a fair point, but the only coaches available now are those who've been sacked by other clubs or haven't had a job in a while. It's not ideal, but Bristol have secured a brilliant coach who had lots of offers before signing his contract extension with Connacht in the summer. I think it's a good thing that the club are planning long-term and Lam said as much in his interview. Even if Bristol go down this season, I'll be amazed if he doesn't have them stabilised and playing good rugby in the Premiership within two years. They'll also have more power to get deals done with players for next season because potential signings know he'll be coming in. Several of Connacht's stars have just signed contract extensions after Lam signed his. I imagine they're pretty livid now.

I have faith in your judgement, if we can stay up we will be a side to be reckoned with with this coach if he is as good as people say. The thought of dropping down and having to do it all again with no guarantee is sickening though.

i was just putting on here the mood of a few rugby fans I know about. Although the signing @Superhas just highlighted might lift the mood if they are as fickle as football fans!

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

I have faith in your judgement, if we can stay up we will be a side to be reckoned with with this coach of he is as good as people say. The thought of dropping down and having to do it all again with no guarantee is sickening though.

i was just putting on here the mood of a few rugby fans I know about. Although the signing @Superhas just highlighted might lift the mood if they are as fickle as football fans!

It's just based on the transformation of Connacht. I wasn't exaggerating when I said it wasn't far short of a miracle. If he can turn them into Pro12 champions (their first ever title, ever!) whilst playing superb rugby on no money then sorting out Bristol with all their resources should be pretty straightforward. The Irish Times reckon that Bristol are paying him 750,000 euro a year, which is more than Joe Schmidt gets paid to coach Ireland, never mind the provincial coaches!

Where they dropped a bollock was not getting rid of Robinson in the summer if you ask me. Might seem a bit ungrateful since he got them up, but the improvement in performances since he left has been notable. You're always playing catch-up after that. I've only seen them play Baff lately but if that performance was anything to go by then they have half a chance against Worcester. Win that game and you're back in it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I know I said it before, but see anyone coming up this season - Bristol at worst will escape that way

That's a good point, heck of a gamble though. 

The game against Worcester is going to be huge, shame we got Wolves away on the same day. I've been asked to go to Wolves but been there a few times before and it's not a ground I like, best result was a draw I think...at the moment rugby is calling!

2 hours ago, phantom said:

I know I said it before, but see anyone coming up this season - Bristol at worst will escape that way

What's the deal with Irish? They aren't interested in coming back up?

46 minutes ago, RedM said:

That's a good point, heck of a gamble though. 

The game against Worcester is going to be huge, shame we got Wolves away on the same day. I've been asked to go to Wolves but been there a few times before and it's not a ground I like, best result was a draw I think...at the moment rugby is calling!

I'm tempted to go to the Worcester match myself, but the prices are a bit off-putting.

50 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

What's the deal with Irish? They aren't interested in coming back up?

I'm tempted to go to the Worcester match myself, but the prices are a bit off-putting.

Prices are a steep, but fairly comparable if not attractive to other clubs. Checkout Northamptons eye watering prices.

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Prices are a steep, but fairly comparable if not attractive to other clubs. Checkout Northamptons eye watering prices.

I'm sure it's competitive enough BCR. Bit of a stretch with City matches and the fact that Bristol aren't my team, though I do take an interest.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Mentioned that they are stuggling financially and want to be settled in new groundshare with Brentford FC before coming back up again

That'd be handy! Hopefully Bristol can save themselves though.