IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

3 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Oops, bit of a brain-freeze moment!

It happens to the best of us! Irish really ought to drop London from their name until they leave Reading anyway.

Interesting interview with Lam here. Basically says that Axel's death put things in perspective in terms of providing for his family and Bristol's offer was too good to turn down. He also has a six month notice clause in his contract, which is why it's been announced already:

http://www.the42.ie/pat-lam-family-future-make-history-3125862-Dec2016/?utm_source=twitter_self

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Anyone there today? Would be interested in how Sean Dougall and Paddy Butler go in the back row.

Non existent. Paul were utterly awful, and looked like a Championship side. How much of that was down to Bristol playing very well I'm not sure.

Varndell easily had his best game in a Bristol shirt, and for the first time this season (Quins aside) Bristol looked dangerous in the 20 meter area. 

One thing that was noticeable was that despite Pau have some huge forwards, they struggled containing Bristols driving maul (2 try's came from that). Against a premier side I'm not sure Bristol would have had it so easy.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, phantom said:

Just signed Tongan captain Siale Piutau from January to the end of the season

If he's half as good as his younger brother then Bristol are in business. I didn't see Wasps play too much last season but the posts here seem to be pretty positive:

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read/s96.htm?98,15814501,15816759

I'm not saying our footballers haven't got fight in them but if I was Lee Johnson I would be sitting them down on Monday to watch the video of this game. Whether they understand rugby or not is irrelevant, they can see how to grind out a win when everything, and I mean everything, is against you. The true meaning of teamwork. 

For those who don't know Bristol had a player sent off, red carded not just sin binned after only 13 (?)minutes, that decision alone was harsh. Rugby is almost impossible to play a man down for that length of time. The Ref seemed to be awarding everything he could against us as often as he could. 

Unlike City Bristol were never behind in the game, but Worcester clawed back points and were only one point behind and we had to go again. If we had let them overtake us we would have collapsed, physically and mentally we had to hold on and play for each other, each man doing his work and more. They gave their all. 

The fooball team need to get some of this mental belief and sharpen up physically too. We need to be a yard infront on both counts. Whether that's different preparation, training or whatever. Are they having motivational speaker sessions with people who are able to reach them? Maybe they should see if they can take anything from the rugby guys?

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

I'm not saying our footballers haven't got fight in them but if I was Lee Johnson I would be sitting them down on Monday to watch the video of this game. Whether they understand rugby or not is irrelevant, they can see how to grind out a win when everything, and I mean everything, is against you. The true meaning of teamwork. 

For those who don't know Bristol had a player sent off, red carded not just sin binned after only 13 (?)minutes, that decision alone was harsh. Rugby is almost impossible to play a man down for that length of time. The Ref seemed to be awarding everything he could against us as often as he could. 

Unlike City Bristol were never behind in the game, but Worcester clawed back points and were only one point behind and we had to go again. If we had let them overtake us we would have collapsed, physically and mentally we had to hold on and play for each other, each man doing his work and more. They gave their all. 

The fooball team need to get some of this mental belief and sharpen up physically too. We need to be a yard infront on both counts. Whether that's different preparation, training or whatever. Are they having motivational speaker sessions with people who are able to reach them? Maybe they should see if they can take anything from the rugby guys?

This is there first win of the season right.?

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Doozerchris said:

This is there first win of the season right.?

In the Premiership, yes. They have won a couple of cup games against a French (?) side. Yes it's their first win, but they have been mirroring the football, ie largely playing ok but ultimately being beaten. 

4 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Good for them. 

Maybe this can be moved off Football Chat now.

Just for you...it can stay here for a while now.

The topic was clearly titled so if you weren't interested perhaps you shouldn't have looked. I have made it relevant to football in any case. 

• Like 4

My first proper rugby game today. It was the only way I could be at Ashton Gate on Boxing Day (bloody fixtures!) Was sat in the Lansdown for the first time. 

I had no idea what was happening. My brain just doesn't understand rugby. Had a good day out though, with my mum, brother and foster son. Atmosphere was great for the most part. Tom Varndell, well :wub: 

Funniest bit of the day was when a man apologised to my mum because he had sworn rather loudly. I told him she'd been to football and sat in the East End/Williams/Atyeo so it wasn't anything she hadn't heard before :D 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Neo said:

@Dollymarie aIf you like Varndell you should check out his 2 minute interview he gave today - I found it on the Bristol rugby twitter.

I am as straight as they come but those arms get your mind wandering !! :blink:

@Dollymarie and I have already had a discussion about him. I don't know first she eyes up Flinty after I saw him first now she's noticed Mr Varndell. I can about accept that, now luckily for me she didn't get to see Tovey play today (where were you Jack :sad26:) If she sets her sights on him there's going to be trouble!!!

I went with my grandson because it was Boxing Day and too far to wolves -bit weird the whole thing - atmosphere good but i find it quite weird that people are so enthusiastic about a complete embarrassment of a  team - if the city were in their position the atmosphere would be toxic. For the city of Bristol and because they were robbed by the blue and white quarter I hope they stay up