IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

56 minutes ago, RedM said:

I'm not saying our footballers haven't got fight in them but if I was Lee Johnson I would be sitting them down on Monday to watch the video of this game. Whether they understand rugby or not is irrelevant, they can see how to grind out a win when everything, and I mean everything, is against you. The true meaning of teamwork. 

For those who don't know Bristol had a player sent off, red carded not just sin binned after only 13 (?)minutes, that decision alone was harsh. Rugby is almost impossible to play a man down for that length of time. The Ref seemed to be awarding everything he could against us as often as he could. 

Unlike City Bristol were never behind in the game, but Worcester clawed back points and were only one point behind and we had to go again. If we had let them overtake us we would have collapsed, physically and mentally we had to hold on and play for each other, each man doing his work and more. They gave their all. 

The fooball team need to get some of this mental belief and sharpen up physically too. We need to be a yard infront on both counts. Whether that's different preparation, training or whatever. Are they having motivational speaker sessions with people who are able to reach them? Maybe they should see if they can take anything from the rugby guys?

Are we talking about the side that didn't win a game until today and are rock bottom,let's hope our football team are not watching tapes of them with all due respect 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, red84 said:

Great atmosphere down there, helped along by the pantomime villain who was Wayne Barnes!

It was '5hit or bust' for Bris today, a loss would have meant more than probable relegation hence the improved atmosphere. Compare that to one of our play off games and it was nowhere near the atmosphere we generate at a similarly important match.

Good as it was today, the last 2 rugby games I have been down to, both Sale games, have had such a depressing atmosphere, really, really bad. It was better today but it was a 'must win' game.

17 minutes ago, RedM said:

@Dollymarie and I have already had a discussion about him. I don't know first she eyes up Flinty after I saw him first now she's noticed Mr Varndell. I can about accept that, now luckily for me she didn't get to see Tovey play today (where were you Jack :sad26:) If she sets her sights on him there's going to be trouble!!!

You're safe with Tovey, I just googled him. He's ginger so you can keep him thanks. :P

• Like 1

First game of Rugby since Jnr school, first club game and first at the Gate. Really enjoyed it, beer in my seat, upper Lansdown brilliant view, tables in the concourse, I would change my ST seat in a heartbeat. Thought they played well, just to keep things sane I thought the Ref was poor even though I don't get the rules.... sorry , Laws. Good atmosphere and I thought the announcer got the ground going well.  There is a very good chance I will go back, and if they carry on like that they will stay up.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

In the Premiership, yes. They have won a couple of cup games against a French (?) side. Yes it's their first win, but they have been mirroring the football, ie largely playing ok but ultimately being beaten. 

Since Robinson was sacked anyway- when he was in charge we took some real beatings.

12 minutes ago, Spoons said:

And most Probaly there last win of the season, due to all the international players returning to there clubs.

That will certainly be the proof in the pudding! Bristol just need to get wins against those around them. Having lost to Sale was a bad result, especially because Bristol threw it away in the first half. It was always going to be a tough return to the top flight, but Bristol Rugby's own John Pemberton (Mark Tainton) seems to have galvanised the team.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

The only thing that was a bit cringe (and sorry but reminded me of when I've been to the mammary ground to watch us v them) was the announcer shouting at the different stands to make some noise. Sorry just seemed very contrived and unneeded. Or is it a rugby thing? 

Usually only plastic teams like Saffacens or LIrish. Proper teams like Bristol have no business entertaining that nonsense.

Few things that struck me from yesterday.  

Some of the food outlets were different, never seen a healthy option food wagon when we're home. Cowshed BBQ is a step up in quality as well, though there did seem to be one less Thatchers bus.

Top tier view is brilliant, there are tables there , the plastic glasses are better quality and branded. Does this happen when we have the top open?  

I did wonder why the top tier was open with large empty spaces in the other stands, I guess it was just for Boxing day as it's not open every game.

The fan park was rammed, as was the Coopers, but somehow the surrounding areas were less busy than on a football matchday.

All in all an enjoyable day, £37 not cheap but I won't be going too often so OK.  Very different atmosphere, but that could partly be down to me not caring quite so much. It does give me an option for when the Brother in Law comes down next, one of us should be home so we can get out for a few.

pint.jpg

• Admin
13 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Are we talking about the side that didn't win a game until today and are rock bottom,let's hope our football team are not watching tapes of them with all due respect 

The way I read the posts was that the Football team could take a leaf out of the rugby teams spirit and determination 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

You clearly didn't understand my point, maybe that's more me than you but some others have grasped what I intended to highlight, with all due respect to you too. 

2 hours ago, Super said:

Will do wonders for confidence plus drags sale into it now.

Sale are on a run similar to City at the moment, can't buy a win. They played alright and will certainly feel they should have seen the game out but are clearly lacking in confidence. 

Worcester winning was a bummer but it might actually give Bristol a bit of confidence that they too could beat Quins when they come to AG. Certainly a few of the home games look very winnable, though other than the Worcester game it's difficult to see us getting anything much away. 

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Disappointing not to get the win but a LBP was the minimum expected. Onto Friday and a break from the league. 

Didn't realise it was a month long break!

Bristol host Quins next in the league with Worcester hosting Saracens, so on paper a good opportunity to finally draw level with Worcester at the very least if not overtake them. Got to keep the momentum going

• Like 1