IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

55 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Didn't realise it was a month long break!

Bristol host Quins next in the league with Worcester hosting Saracens, so on paper a good opportunity to finally draw level with Worcester at the very least if not overtake them. Got to keep the momentum going

Yup. Looking forward to Friday now!

Month long break is probably useful- Woodward took a huge hit towards the end so could possibly be out.

I think Bris will find it tough v Quinn's, who had a good win against Sale that probably assured safety.  A win and not only could they go a couple of points clear of Wuss, it could also really put pressure on Sale.

So 4 huge Friday night games in the next 3 months - Bath Friday (Euro) Quinn's early Feb, Bath end of Feb and Glos end of March.

Edited by Barrs Court Red
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Month long break is probably useful- Woodward took a huge hit towards the end so could possibly be out.

I think Bris will find it tough v Quinn's, who had a good win against Sale that probably assured safety.  A win and not only could they go a couple of points clear of Wuss, it could also really put pressure on Sale.

So 4 huge Friday night games in the next 3 months - Bath Friday (Euro) Quinn's early Feb, Bath end of Feb and Glos end of March.

Read something that suggests there's mandatory "time off" from playing if you have been concussed. Luckily, as you say, a decent break from the league gives plenty of time, hopefully, to recover. Maybe even Gav will be fit by then and might even feature in one or two of these cup games!? 

Reading the comments above its made me change my mind a little, I was feeling frustrated we don't have a league game for a month just when we were finding a bit of form, but maybe it could be a good thing. We have a new player arriving don't we, gives us time to bed him in. Also Gav maybe back in the next few weeks, but Woodward has been kicking everything so not so urgent now. 

Im feeling a bit gutted, no a lot gutted, I'm in Newcastle when we play Bath in the league, but will be going on Friday for the Cup match so that will have to do. 

3 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Gotta feel for the staff at Ashton Gate, got the Bath game and then back in early the next day for the Cardiff early kick off.

I guess they will be working though the night on that one. Yes originally it was football at 3pm on Saturday followed by rugby 24 hours later. Now TV schedules and road closures (!) leave a much smaller turnaround with rugby first, the perfect storm..even without the predicted weather. I have great faith in our groundstaff though, they do a great job.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, RedM said:

I guess they will be working though the night on that one. Yes originally it was football at 3pm on Saturday followed by rugby 24 hours later. Now TV schedules and road closures (!) leave a much smaller turnaround with rugby first, the perfect storm..even without the predicted weather. I have great faith in our groundstaff though, they do a great job.

What are the road closures for Saturday? 

20 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

What are the road closures for Saturday? 

It's Winterstoke road isn't it, for the metrobus roadworks. They have been closing the road early evening after matches to do work, but amazingly they can't wait until after a 3 o'clock kick off finishes this weekend so moved the match 12pm KO...its just pure coincidence we are playing Cardiff, apparently! The road then can be closed earlier, don't think it's shut before match, but don't quote me on that!

Good for Bristol to have a few weeks break from the league, a win on Friday v Bath would be massive for confidence and with Woodward looking like he might be out its good they don't have a premiership game on the weekend

Quins will be a must win game imo, they've lost every away game this season and will be without their England internationals, and with Worcester playing sarries it will be a massive opportunity to overtake them

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Good for Bristol to have a few weeks break from the league, a win on Friday v Bath would be massive for confidence and with Woodward looking like he might be out its good they don't have a premiership game on the weekend

Quins will be a must win game imo, they've lost every away game this season and will be without their England internationals, and with Worcester playing sarries it will be a massive opportunity to overtake them

I think it's a winnable game- as is Gloucester arguably, Newcastle also and Worcester away. Maybe Bath at home as is local derby factor but failing that the odd losing bonus point as happened Saturday will keep us on track, think we may even finish 10th.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think it's a winnable game- as is Gloucester arguably, Newcastle also and Worcester away. Maybe Bath at home as is local derby factor but failing that the odd losing bonus point as happened Saturday will keep us on track, think we may even finish 10th.

Although the Wuss game is massive, this is what will keep us up imo.

• Like 2

I see that Alby Mathewson is coming from Super Rugby until the end of the season. Do Bristol have injuries at scrum half? I don't know Mathewson, but he's 130-odd Super Rugby caps and 4 NZ caps so clearly no mug. I'm not sure but it seems that his contract with Western Force is up too, so there might be room for him to stay if he goes well.

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 14:13, MichaelRobartes said:

I see that Alby Mathewson is coming from Super Rugby until the end of the season. Do Bristol have injuries at scrum half? I don't know Mathewson, but he's 130-odd Super Rugby caps and 4 NZ caps so clearly no mug. I'm not sure but it seems that his contract with Western Force is up too, so there might be room for him to stay if he goes well.

Weird one imo, hes obviously a top player but we have williams and cliff who are two good scrum halves, getting an All black can only be good though!

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Weird one imo, hes obviously a top player but we have williams and cliff who are two good scrum halves, getting an All black can only be good though!

Maybe they want more experience at half back with so many stand offs out injured. I don't know how many times Williams played for Scarlets, but I think Cliff had a lot of Sale caps before moving to Bristol. I suppose that you can't turn down opportunities to sign quality players when you're in a scrap, especially on short-term contracts.

Had no idea Baff had signed Fruean. He's had horrible injury and illness setbacks, good luck to him. I see that Bristol haven't picked Dan Tuohy, is he injured?

3 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Maybe they want more experience at half back with so many stand offs out injured. I don't know how many times Williams played for Scarlets, but I think Cliff had a lot of Sale caps before moving to Bristol. I suppose that you can't turn down opportunities to sign quality players when you're in a scrap, especially on short-term contracts.

Had no idea Baff had signed Fruean. He's had horrible injury and illness setbacks, good luck to him. I see that Bristol haven't picked Dan Tuohy, is he injured?

Bris have made a few changes looking at the line up, Tuohy isn't injured from what I've seen but we don't have the best strength in depth at lock so we don't want him being injured for quins, especially with his injury record not being the best.

I think thats just why we signed Matthewson, he has tonnes of experience and from what I've seen of him looks like a good player for a team in our position, especially with Worcester selling players in recent weeks it's good to see us bringing in fresh talent

Edited by JBFC II

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I think Bris might come unstuck tomorrow. Some key players missing from the line up, and Bath seem to be fielding a strong team.

A defeat is inconsequential normally, but I fear it could harm the gathering momentum.

Perhaps. It's better to rest a few now for more valuable league matches in my view though. I haven't seen much of Baff this season, but I certainly wasn't impressed when they played you at home a few months back.

13 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Perhaps. It's better to rest a few now for more valuable league matches in my view though. I haven't seen much of Baff this season, but I certainly wasn't impressed when they played you at home a few months back.

They've lost 4 on the bounce I think, so are out of form.

id forgotten how arrogant and smug their fans are until this week, so it would be wonderful to beat them whatever competition it is - but then from a practical the league is more valuable as you point out.

I didn't realise that the league game has moved to a 1pm Sunday kick off - for some reason I thought it was a Friday. 

12 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

id forgotten how arrogant and smug their fans are until this week, so it would be wonderful to beat them whatever competition it is - but then from a practical the league is more valuable as you point out.

I didn't realise that the league game has moved to a 1pm Sunday kick off - for some reason I thought it was a Friday. 

I'm no rugby fan, but Glaws fans detest those posho winkers.

21 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

11 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I'm no rugby fan, but Glaws fans detest those posho winkers.

That's shocking for a team with their squad and resources. Long may it continue.

Baff aren't my favourites either. Actually there's not many English clubs I like, particularly after the Anglo-French collusion which led to the bastardisation of the Heineken Cup. Bristol and Gloucester are top of the 'like' list though @Woodsy

16 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

That's shocking for a team with their squad and resources. Long may it continue.

Baff aren't my favourites either. Actually there's not many English clubs I like, particularly after the Anglo-French collusion which led to the bastardisation of the Heineken Cup. Bristol and Gloucester are top of the 'like' list though @Woodsy

Gloucester are the Kings, obviously, but give me Bristol over everyone else. Anyone else who can despise Barf like we do are ok by me

Can't stand Exeter or Sarries fans either - nobs, the lot of them

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Gloucester are the Kings, obviously, but give me Bristol over everyone else. Anyone else who can despise Barf like we do are ok by me

Rugby fans tend to be a load of Timothys, Piers and Annabels. Gloucester fans are Waynes, Terrys and Shazzas! 

4 hours ago, Woodsy said:

No experience of Chiefs fans but totally agree about Saffacens. Glaws or Bristol (preferably both) need to get back into the Champions Cup so that they can draw Munster.