IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

On 14/03/2017 at 03:02, Up The City! said:

How can it be financially viable to having them playing in a stadium with 20k spare seats? 

They really need their own smaller stadium (share with BCFC women etc) and then come to AG when they are likely to attract a big crowd.

Because you scale the staffing levels accordingly.  

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 18:43, MichaelRobartes said:

Very good move for him to get a two year contract at his age. With Madigan, Searle and Pisi contracted for next season it's not surprising that Henson is off. Anyone know if Geraghty is on a short-term contract?

Geraghty was just till the end of the season, i can see pisi leaving as well don't think he's lams type of player, that would leave madigan searle and sheedy as our 10s which isn't too bad....

A back line of:

R.Williams

Madigan

Varndell

Piatau

Hurrel

Morahan

Woodward

Will look half decent at home to Ealing Trailfinders....

• Like 2

Sorry, but the way Bristol are recruiting I just don't see that they expect to be in the Championship next season. I reckon they've been given the nod on an expended Premiership or a change to a no relegation system. Morahan, Luatua and Madigan would all have had decent options all over Europe if they wanted to play in the northern hemisphere, so why sign for a team who are going to be in the second tier? I'm sure they're well paid, but I can't imagine they'd earn significantly more than they would elsewhere in Britain, Ireland or France. Plus, these aren't players at the end of their careers, these are guys in their prime. Doesn't make sense unless Bristol know something we don't

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Sorry, but the way Bristol are recruiting I just don't see that they expect to be in the Championship next season. I reckon they've been given the nod on an expended Premiership or a change to a no relegation system. Morahan, Luatua and Madigan would all have had decent options all over Europe if they wanted to play in the northern hemisphere, so why sign for a team who are going to be in the second tier? I'm sure they're well paid, but I can't imagine they'd earn significantly more than they would elsewhere in Britain, Ireland or France. Plus, these aren't players at the end of their careers, these are guys in their prime. Doesn't make sense unless Bristol know something we don't

I was thinking the same.

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

It can't be the Premiership expanding, this was muted a couple of years ago but died a death. Really don't think they'd announce it at this late stage. Is it possible all 4 teams currently in the Championship play-off positions have indicated they can't/ don't want promotion due to finances/quality of stadiums?

If none of those then I just think the players you mention are getting a fat paycheck and are willing to do a 12 month stint in the C'ship before being back in the Premiership. Also, I'd put it down to "the Lam effect"!

EDIT: Closing the Atyeo for next season also indicates they don't expect to be in the Prem.

Edited by Kid in the Riot

38 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It can't be the Premiership expanding, this was muted a couple of years ago but died a death. Really don't think they'd announce it at this late stage. Is it possible all 4 teams currently in the Championship play-off positions have indicated they can't/ don't want promotion due to finances/quality of stadiums?

If none of those then I just think the players you mention are getting a fat paycheck and are willing to do a 12 month stint in the C'ship before being back in the Premiership. Also, I'd put it down to "the Lam effect"!

EDIT: Closing the Atyeo for next season also indicates they don't expect to be in the Prem.

Perhaps your right, but I can't imagine that any of them didn't have other offers. Luatua has 20-odd caps for the All Blacks for goodness sakes! I'm sure SL is putting his hand in his pocket, but still. Just seems like their recruiting to be in the top flight. Perhaps I underestimate to pull of Lam

8 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Perhaps your right, but I can't imagine that any of them didn't have other offers. Luatua has 20-odd caps for the All Blacks for goodness sakes! I'm sure SL is putting his hand in his pocket, but still. Just seems like their recruiting to be in the top flight. Perhaps I underestimate to pull of Lam

KITR is right that Lam will be a huge factor for the guys who have signed on. I suppose most of them are thinking that a year in the Championship isn't the end of the world. Luatua is a funny one alright, he started for NZ last year against Italy but it's not that unusual for players to leave Super Rugby for Europe or even Japan when they're in the reckoning for further test caps.

I don't know much about Morohan, I see he's playing for the Force now, and I read that he scored against the Lions when they played the Queensland Reds on the 2013 tour. Handy enough to have a 3-cap Wallaby on the wing anyway!

14 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

KITR is right that Lam will be a huge factor for the guys who have signed on. I suppose most of them are thinking that a year in the Championship isn't the end of the world. Luatua is a funny one alright, he started for NZ last year against Italy but it's not that unusual for players to leave Super Rugby for Europe or even Japan when they're in the reckoning for further test caps.

I don't know much about Morohan, I see he's playing for the Force now, and I read that he scored against the Lions when they played the Queensland Reds on the 2013 tour. Handy enough to have a 3-cap Wallaby on the wing anyway!

Perhaps. I mean with the squad they're putting together and the league winner now going up automatically, promotion shouldn't be an issue and they'll be able to plan for the Premiership much earlier. Just seems odd that so many players should be buying in. With regard Luatua, I guess NZ aren't exactly short of back row options and perhaps they've told him their going a different direction. He's not the most 'subtle' of players, but I would think he'll be a good player over here

I've watched a fair bit of Super 15 rugby (not so much since the little one figured out how to ask for cartoons!) and Morahan is dynamic in broken play from when I've seen him. Always difficult to tell how players will translate coming from Southern Hemisphere though as it's such a different style. He has ability though

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Perhaps. I mean with the squad they're putting together and the league winner now going up automatically, promotion shouldn't be an issue and they'll be able to plan for the Premiership much earlier. Just seems odd that so many players should be buying in. With regard Luatua, I guess NZ aren't exactly short of back row options and perhaps they've told him their going a different direction. He's not the most 'subtle' of players, but I would think he'll be a good player over here

I've watched a fair bit of Super 15 rugby (not so much since the little one figured out how to ask for cartoons!) and Morahan is dynamic in broken play from when I've seen him. Always difficult to tell how players will translate coming from Southern Hemisphere though as it's such a different style. He has ability though

Would be surprised if ring-fencing is on the cards this season.

That sounds about right. A long term plan, a medium-long term project. Go straight back up with no issues next year (assuming we go down- we probably will but survival isn't impossible). Then come back significantly stronger, augment it as soon as we know automatic promotion is assured- so next Feb or so? Build from there.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Closing the Atyeo makes sense in any event, as any big crowds if we do stay up can be accommodated in the Upper Lansdown presumably? In the Championship, you could argue that you'd only need the Dolman/South Stand open anyway. 

It's a great situation to be in really - now that the playoffs have been scrapped - stay up and we have great quality coming in but in the event we go down, it'll be essentially a elongated pre-season ahead of prem rugby the following year. (assuming Hartpury don't put up too much of a challenge) 

3 hours ago, chipdawg said:

You've seen a lot more than me then. Last season I watched properly was when the Reds were basically playing basketball with Genia and Cooper on their way to the title! I guess Luatua will know Lam from his Blues days as well. That transfer annoyed Hansen enough to be a gobshite and mouth off about Lam which was interesting. I think Mitch Eadie is leaving and I'm sure he'll be an upgrade on Crane who I've always thought was a bit of a show pony.

Good to hear about Morahan. Can he tackle? Would be an improvement on Varndell if so!

42 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

You've seen a lot more than me then. Last season I watched properly was when the Reds were basically playing basketball with Genia and Cooper on their way to the title! I guess Luatua will know Lam from his Blues days as well. That transfer annoyed Hansen enough to be a gobshite and mouth off about Lam which was interesting. I think Mitch Eadie is leaving and I'm sure he'll be an upgrade on Crane who I've always thought was a bit of a show pony.

Good to hear about Morahan. Can he tackle? Would be an improvement on Varndell if so!

I thought Crane was a good signing when he arrived, lots of experience but I haven't seen Bristol much this season- live up north and actually don't particularly enjoy watching English club rugby. Luatua more fits the modern template for powerful, heavy back row forward and I guess he has a little bit of 'x-factor'. I've read he can play lock too, though I'd guess he'll come in to play 8 at Bristol? 

I love Super 15, when our daughter was first born I'd always take the early shift with her so I could watch games first thing while she slept on me. I saw Morahan a couple of times, he was playing centre at least one of those games so I'd assume he can tackle! It's difficult to tell in Southern Hemisphere rugby to be honest, so many breaks and broken tackles. It's just the way they play more than an inability to defend, it's one of the reasons I enjoy it. More freedom to attack less worrying about solid defence

Bristol had a scrum and then a penalty right in front of the posts, 6-13 down at the time, they took the 3 points. I struggle to understand the thinking, you will not get a better chance to score a try than in that situation. Surely they would have a set move to use in that specific position, I just don't get the negativity of the coaching team.

Edited by Portland Bill
  • Like 3