IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

19 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Bristol had a scrum and then a penalty right in front of the posts, 6-13 down at the time, they took the 3 points. I struggle to understand the thinking, you will not get a better chance to score a try than in that situation. Surely they would have a set move to use in that specific position, I just don't get the negativity of the coaching team.

I don't even understand rugby but this confused me.

35 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

City's fall from grace after winning the league has been pretty spectacular but fair play the rugby have done it in double quick time.

Poor preparation and poor recruitment ultimately has cost both clubs. 

You seem to have become extremely cynical in your old age :whistle:

10 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Bristol had a scrum and then a penalty right in front of the posts, 6-13 down at the time, they took the 3 points. I struggle to understand the thinking, you will not get a better chance to score a try than in that situation. Surely they would have a set move to use in that specific position, I just don't get the negativity of the coaching team.

Just showed the lack of confidence at the moment, opting to take a couple of 'easy' points when we should have gone for the jugular as at the time Glous weren't looking that much better. If we had shown our intent then I think we would have put them on the back foot, instead we revealed our hand and showed them were weren't confident. We had missed a couple of early penalty kicks by then and it was an opportunity wasted. We didn't lack effort on the whole but had little quality or threat without Varndell and Henson, and we seemed yo have little idea either. 

Two poor teams, but we made Glouscester look better than they were, International players aside. I expected more from my first derby game ( I was still in Newcastle/Edinburgh when we played Bath a month ago).

Poor atmosphere. Most fans were drinking pint after pint, even saw some walk out of the Heinekein with shots/shorts type drinks which I've never seen before. It was almost at times like the rugby was secondary to a drinking secession, everybody drinking and chatting and taking little notice what was happening in the pitch, it certainly didn't have the full attention football gets. Even the kicker wasn't respected by all and people telling others to shhhh and respect.

I suppose though it was on the cards from the start as the people from the Heinekein piled out right at the start of the minutes silence for the Westminster victims, they weren't immediately quiet and the lack of respect and interest just followed on the from there. I'm really surprised there isn't more trouble at rugby matches, it's a perfect storm with so much drink being downed, local rivalry and fans all mixed in together some taunting eachother. Crazy stuff, but still no atmosphere.

I guess I sat there (sober) and felt well just bleugh, deflated. I really got the feeling the club couldn't give a toss what league we played in as long as they could get people to pour expensive drinks down their throats. 

I can't see any other outcome after this, only relegation. And it seems the fans have already accepted this.

Thankfully I can't make the last two games, or rather I have a reason not to go. 

I certainly won't be rushing back, and will give Friday evening games a wide birth. I'm sick of the constant flow of people to the bar during the game, or the amount of people coming in late because they've been getting drinks.

Sunday games seem to attract a different crowd to a Friday but both Friday and Sunday games have a terrible lack of atmosphere, not helped by the standard of rugby on show.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Thankfully I can't make the last two games, or rather I have a reason not to go. 

I certainly won't be rushing back, and will give Friday evening games a wide birth. I'm sick of the constant flow of people to the bar during the game, or the amount of people coming in late because they've been getting drinks.

Sunday games seem to attract a different crowd to a Friday but both Friday and Sunday games have a terrible lack of atmosphere, not helped by the standard of rugby on show.

It's the same at internationals, people constantly up and down to the bar.

Incidentally the only time I've ever noticed it with City was on visits to Wembley and the Millenium, no doubt down to increased crowds and more people who don't normally go to football.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Interesting how Bristol are continuing with signing all these top quality players, whilst London Irish haven't made one signing yet

Irish still can't guarantee premiership rugby next season yet which is what Bristol struggled with last year, whereas Bristol can guarantee more money, a better coach and premiership rugby in 2 years time and i guess Bristol are probably still a more attractive club even in the championship tbf

25 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Irish still can't guarantee premiership rugby next season yet which is what Bristol struggled with last year, whereas Bristol can guarantee more money, a better coach and premiership rugby in 2 years time and i guess Bristol are probably still a more attractive club even in the championship tbf

I can't get my head around what's going on at Irish. I thought they were taken over in 2013 by folks who said they wanted to invest and try to get an Irish core back into the club. Looking at their squad it doesn't seem that they've spent a bucketload - though they do have Ben Franks - and they've only four Irish players.

2 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I can't get my head around what's going on at Irish. I thought they were taken over in 2013 by folks who said they wanted to invest and try to get an Irish core back into the club. Looking at their squad it doesn't seem that they've spent a bucketload - though they do have Ben Franks - and they've only four Irish players.

A story that sums up many football clubs

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

A story that sums up many football clubs

True enough WTTJ. In fairness I can't recall exactly what was said and they may have envisaged a longer-term strategy than chucking a ton of cash at the club which I'd generally be in favour of. Plenty of good players leave the Irish system for England or France because of the limited opportunities associated with only having four clubs so it's a shame that they seem to have moved away from that.

14 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

The problem for Irish is that they are a big club playing in a division they shouldn't be in so they are going to struggle to get top Irish players of the quality they need to come to them.

I guess unlike Bristol they haven't spent millions to get out of the championship and are doing it a more financially stable way but that could backfire as it did with bristol last season

13 hours ago, JBFC II said:

The problem for Irish is that they are a big club playing in a division they shouldn't be in so they are going to struggle to get top Irish players of the quality they need to come to them.

I guess unlike Bristol they haven't spent millions to get out of the championship and are doing it a more financially stable way but that could backfire as it did with bristol last season

Good points. Surprised they didn't market themselves as Exiles more before relegation though. Plenty of talented young guys scratch around the Provinces playing a handful of matches a season till mid-20s. Sure they could have got more over with carrot of first team action.

1 hour ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Good points. Surprised they didn't market themselves as Exiles more before relegation though. Plenty of talented young guys scratch around the Provinces playing a handful of matches a season till mid-20s. Sure they could have got more over with carrot of first team action.

It's a shame really, you'd think that they would try and have more than 4 Irish players at London Irish really but it's a result based business and when you have a fijian for instance who is of better quality than an irishman it's obvious who you would pick, still think they should look down the irish route in the premiership though

49 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

It's a shame really, you'd think that they would try and have more than 4 Irish players at London Irish really but it's a result based business and when you have a fijian for instance who is of better quality than an irishman it's obvious who you would pick, still think they should look down the irish route in the premiership though

Yeah they shouldn't bring them in for the sake of it but there are good players in Ireland who don't get much gametime. Some go to England or France anyway. If LI had an understanding with the IRFU then they could potentially benefit from bringing some of those guys in and giving them games. If the IRFU wanted them back in the Irish system then LI would probably lose them but provinces would maybe be happier to leave players go to improve in the Premiership in future. In theory everybody wins. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Yeah they shouldn't bring them in for the sake of it but there are good players in Ireland who don't get much gametime. Some go to England or France anyway. If LI had an understanding with the IRFU then they could potentially benefit from bringing some of those guys in and giving them games. If the IRFU wanted them back in the Irish system then LI would probably lose them but provinces would maybe be happier to leave players go to improve in the Premiership in future. In theory everybody wins. 

That's true tbf, I was looking at Leinsters team for their game this weekend and when you look at the quality of some of the players not taking part LI could get some real gems there, even players like Cian Healy would do well in the premiership and he doesn't get much game time anymore for Leinster