IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

What happened?

The Montpelier owner wanted to buy a 45% stake in Gloucester, but needed approval from the prem and top 14 members. This wasn't given but 20% was approved. However the Montpelier guy has now called the deal off. Basically 2 competitor clubs have allegedly scuppered investment in a rival. You could say well they would, but my argument is that it's not their business. Article on beeb and shedweb (glos forum) if you want to know more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steveybadger said:

The Montpelier owner wanted to buy a 45% stake in Gloucester, but needed approval from the prem and top 14 members. This wasn't given but 20% was approved. However the Montpelier guy has now called the deal off. Basically 2 competitor clubs have allegedly scuppered investment in a rival. You could say well they would, but my argument is that it's not their business. Article on beeb and shedweb (glos forum) if you want to know more.

Haven't the Prem shafted Bris enough in the past though? 

5 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Haven't the Prem shafted Bris enough in the past though? 

Well playing devil's advocate they kept their prem shares when they last got relegated, leaving promoted Exeter with less income.   They haven't done well out of the (crap imo) play off system but then everyone knows the rules.

was there something else happened (genuinely don't know)? Regardless 2 wrongs don't make a right?

and it's salary cap busting Bath that really have the brassneck in this situation (guess we can both agree we don't like them)!

Ring fencing was always a bit of a pipe dream this year tbh, never saw it as likely or on the cards.

Looks like a London Irish-Yorkshire final this season? I think they are both eligible for promotion.

In terms of winning the Championship next season? Promotion by February? Reckon it maybe sometime in March if Yorkshire put up another strong challenge. That's assuming that London Irish don't blow it in the final then it would be a 2 horse race deep into the season IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Alby Matthewson has left now ( to go to sale apparently) so that leaves us with Andy Uren (a youth team player) and rhodri Williams, so it's a position i reckon we may be looking to sign one, as much as i think stringer is a good player, Bristol have gone past the stage of signing 30-40 year olds so i doubt he will come here and i doubt he'd want to spend a season in the championship, would be a cracking signing though

12 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Alby Matthewson has left now ( to go to sale apparently) so that leaves us with Andy Uren (a youth team player) and rhodri Williams, so it's a position i reckon we may be looking to sign one, as much as i think stringer is a good player, Bristol have gone past the stage of signing 30-40 year olds so i doubt he will come here and i doubt he'd want to spend a season in the championship, would be a cracking signing though

I suppose it depends on what offers he gets. Great guy to help out the younger fellas and still fit enough to play every match. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

How are Bristol set for scrum halves? I see Strings is leaving Sale, not sure if he's going to play on but would certainly be worth a look based on what I've seen of him this season.

The policy of signing older "names" has been proven to have been a failure.  Bristol seem to have learnt from this, so I would be disappointed if we go for Stringer, even though the guy has been a fantastic player.

I'm going to the game later. Will be a bit sad saying goodbyes and seeing how this season has panned out after this time last year. What a contrast the crowd will be to tomorrow's too.  :sad26:

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

The policy of signing older "names" has been proven to have been a failure.  Bristol seem to have learnt from this, so I would be disappointed if we go for Stringer, even though the guy has been a fantastic player.

True enough. That said, Strings is a great professional and has kept himself in unbelievable shape. If Bristol want a new first choice guy they should look elsewhere but they could do a lot worse if they want a steady hand backing up the current lads. They'd sell a few more tickets as I'd go to watch him play anyway!

2 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I suppose it depends on what offers he gets. Great guy to help out the younger fellas and still fit enough to play every match. 

I think in a mentor role he'd be perfect, it'd be a bit like the role Gav has played this year with young Billy Searle in that he's taught him all that he knows whilst playing every game as well, I just reckon he'd be getting offers from Ireland, Wales or France with the lure of European rugby as well

16 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I think in a mentor role he'd be perfect, it'd be a bit like the role Gav has played this year with young Billy Searle in that he's taught him all that he knows whilst playing every game as well, I just reckon he'd be getting offers from Ireland, Wales or France with the lure of European rugby as well

You'd think so but he might reason that he'd get more games in the Championship. I'd love to see him playing against us so am hoping it's a PRO12 or Heineken Cup side.

• Like 1

Poor result today and the first half performance was dire, but what a top man Jamal Ford-Robinson is, gave away 3 bags of kit after the match before he leaves to Northampton. Managed to bag myself a polo shirt which is a couple of sizes too big but a great gesture nonetheless, he'll be missed

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Poor result today and the first half performance was dire, but what a top man Jamal Ford-Robinson is, gave away 3 bags of kit after the match before he leaves to Northampton. Managed to bag myself a polo shirt which is a couple of sizes too big but a great gesture nonetheless, he'll be missed

Thought the 2nd half was much better, Woodward had an absolute Weston though. JFR is a top bloke and will no doubt be in the Atyeo with Joe Joyce as usual tmrw. He will be missed and it was great to see him and Mitch both score on their last outing in the hoops. 

34 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Thought the 2nd half was much better, Woodward had an absolute Weston though. JFR is a top bloke and will no doubt be in the Atyeo with Joe Joyce as usual tmrw. He will be missed and it was great to see him and Mitch both score on their last outing in the hoops. 

2nd was better, shame to see Woodward have a howler after such a great season, should have played that pass to Edwards early on so Edwards had an easy score in the corner. JFR and Mitch both have big futures ahead of them, I can see them playing for England one day

Woodward to Glaws. Good signing @Woodsy I also couldn't help but notice Eddie Jones has named Woodward in the latest England training squad, is that an example of the infamous English granny rule coming into play?

http://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/woodwards-gloucester-switch-confirmed/

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/07/jason-woodward-england-eddie-jones-mike-brown

4 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Woodward to Glaws. Good signing @Woodsy I also couldn't help but notice Eddie Jones has named Woodward in the latest England training squad, is that an example of the infamous English granny rule coming into play?

http://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/woodwards-gloucester-switch-confirmed/

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/07/jason-woodward-england-eddie-jones-mike-brown

Rugby is laughable in this respect.  Samoans playing for the All Blacks, Kiwis playing for Samoa. Italians called Luke McLean and Dries Van Schalwyk.   South African Irishmen, Kiwi England captains. 

17 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Rugby is laughable in this respect.  Samoans playing for the All Blacks, Kiwis playing for Samoa. Italians called Luke McLean and Dries Van Schalwyk.   South African Irishmen, Kiwi England captains. 

I actually don't mind at all. It was more of a not to subtle dig at the Irish granny complaint in football. Anyone willing to fly halfway around the world, start a new life and put their bodies on the line for anyone is alright by me.