IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

Good win at a tough Bedford side but the defence really needs to be improved to be conceding another bonus point isn't good enough and if we do go up we aren't going to be able to be conceding 5 tries a game and expecting a win. 

Went to the A League game v London Irish at clifton on Friday night and we looked very good against an experienced Irish side, searle and tovey both stood out

27 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Good win at a tough Bedford side but the defence really needs to be improved to be conceding another bonus point isn't good enough and if we do go up we aren't going to be able to be conceding 5 tries a game and expecting a win. 

Went to the A League game v London Irish at clifton on Friday night and we looked very good against an experienced Irish side, searle and tovey both stood out

Good win in terms of margin of victory but obviously that defence needs some serious work. Still, there's been a noticeable improvement in attack over the past two games; now to see it in defence. 

• Like 1

@MichaelRobartes

Make you right on the pricing to an extent. It's a small sample size but I know one neutral rugby fan who went to a few last year but at these prices, these level? Less than likely. They went to watch Newport instead as was only £10. Another who also was dabbling but decided not to. In Bristol's partial defence, other stadia have standing which as we know from football is cheaper than seats- the club can't have it for obvious reasons, so it's not entirely the clubs fault- as my mate also believed.

On the pitch...4 wins in 4. Will it be promotion by February, and seemingly improving by the week.

Will it be promotion by Feb or even by New Year as some predicted? Doubt it- not because we won't keep winning but also because in general I expect Ealing to keep winning, and also one out of Bedford and Doncaster to also be up and around it. Will I suspect be quite deep into the season until we can breathe properly easy- there's enough average teams for 1 or 2 other teams rather than us to keep winning and keep it quite tight until fairly late on IMO.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@MichaelRobartes

Make you right on the pricing to an extent. It's a small sample size but I know one neutral rugby fan who went to a few last year but at these prices, these level? Less than likely. They went to watch Newport instead as was only £10. Another who also was dabbling but decided not to. In Bristol's partial defence, other stadia have standing which as we know from football is cheaper than seats- the club can't have it for obvious reasons, so it's not entirely the clubs fault- as my mate also believed.

On the pitch...4 wins in 4. Will it be promotion by February, and seemingly improving by the week.

Will it be promotion by Feb or even by New Year as some predicted? Doubt it- not because we won't keep winning but also because in general I expect Ealing to keep winning, and also one out of Bedford and Doncaster to also be up and around it. Will I suspect be quite deep into the season until we can breathe properly easy- there's enough average teams for 1 or 2 other teams rather than us to keep winning and keep it quite tight until fairly late on IMO.

It's definitely fair to raise the point about terracing. That being said, I don't think there's any reason for Bristol to charge more then £20 for Championship rugby.

On a not entirely unrelated note I think English domestic rugby is going to be in a difficult place in the not-too-distant future given the money that's flooded into it as a result of the hugely over-inflated price BT have paid for Premiership rights. I'm not sure that it's sustainable given the alleged viewing figures. I think that some of the key players in the European rugby power struggle like Nigel Wray and Bruce Craig have realised this and are now pushing for one of the Six Nations rest weeks going to accommodate another round of Premiership games which is a crazy notion. I daresay most English rugby fans wouldn't be happy for the national team's prospects to be harmed. In my view the English lads are playing too many matches anyway as their gametime isn't managed in the way that the Irish lads' gametime is. I don't believe that the players will stand for being flogged like that either, Billy Vunipola has already claimed that he'd prefer to play fewer matches for less money. The matches in America won't have necessarily eased their concerns either with the thousands of empty seats in Philadelphia for the Sarries - Newcastle match the other week.

In relation to Bristol, I think they'll be counting their blessings to have Lansdown there if the shit does hit the fan, especially with some of the salaries they're probably paying. I still think they'll coast to promotion. The defensive stats don't look great but Lam hasn't had much time to implement his plans yet.

in the Room 101 feature on page 38 of todays The Rugby Paper the Bristol lock forward Joe Joyce lists his 3 pet hates , number 2 Bristol Rovers fans who spend more time moaning about City than they do talking about their own team on radio phone ins .

Few I suspect will disagree .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Massive game today, really strong Bristol team out with probably only Madigan and cortes being the starting players who are missing

Ealing are going to give us a real good game and they certainly aren't the push overs of a few years back with new money pouring in, reckon Bristol bonus point win but ealing to get a few tries as well

Squeezed home but for me it's 5 years of same old same old, score a lot of points but couldn't defend a jelly fight at a kids birthday party.

And the problem is you can get away with it to a degree in this division but have no chance in the premiership as we already know to our cost.

Edited by Esmond Million's Bung

Most of Bristol's defending wasn't bad today I thought, especially on their 5m line. Some of the counter rucking was excellent. I felt they tried to offload too often given the conditions. They got beaten up in the scrum so it didn't help that they kept knocking on and turning ball over there. 

They didn't play the conditions at all well but did enough in the end. Concerning that all the investment hasn't bought them a solid scrum, though I guess Cortes would make a difference at tighthead.

The defending was much improved today, some great tackling on the 5 metre line. If we could scrimmage we'd have been out of sight after 60 minutes, ball in hand we were excellent but the front 3 were dominated.

Overall much improved in what is probably the toughest game of the season

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Agreed @JBFC II only criticism I'd have of Bristol in possession is not playing the percentage game enough given the rain. Too many attempted offloads with a wet ball.

And also too many passes to players standing flat, leading to us losing metres, stuff that can be addressed easily though

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JBFC II said:

The defending was much improved today, some great tackling on the 5 metre line. If we could scrimmage we'd have been out of sight after 60 minutes, ball in hand we were excellent but the front 3 were dominated.

Overall much improved in what is probably the toughest game of the season

I thought they played better in a close game than they did in large parts of the last two home games in which they had a much greater points margin, which must seem an odd thing to say. That said I think they will take confidence and build from yesterday's result more than they would from beating the teams we have already played.

The next home game is on Saturday, they have move the days and times a lot lately, but I'm already committed to do something else so sadly I cannot attend.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RedM said:

I thought they played better in a close game than they did in large parts of the last two home games in which they had a much greater points margin, which must seem an odd thing to say. That said I think they will take confidence and build from yesterday's result more than they would from beating the teams we have already played.

The next home game is on Saturday, they have move the days and times a lot lately, but I'm already committed to do something else so sadly I cannot attend.

First time I've seen them this season @RedM so it's good to hear about the improvement in performance. I think that for the most part they played well, the problems in the scrum are always a momentum killer and the scoreline ended up being a lot closer than it should have been given Bristol's superiority in pretty much every other area of the game. Ealing were decent and let no-one down but were clearly second best outside the scrum for me.

I might go on Saturday since it's only a tenner. Last time I went to see them was Sale at home last season which was probably the worst game of rugby I've ever seen in my life.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RedM said:

How many there ?

I see today "Bristol United" faced "Cardiff Blues Premiership Select" in the British & Irish Cup today.

I presume the teams are combined teams from each City, but can anyone clarify the selection criteria for me? Which teams do the Bristol United players come from? (It appeared to be only Bristol and Bristol Uni players today)

On 14/10/2017 at 20:34, Chris_Brown said:

I see today "Bristol United" faced "Cardiff Blues Premiership Select" in the British & Irish Cup today.

I presume the teams are combined teams from each City, but can anyone clarify the selection criteria for me? Which teams do the Bristol United players come from? (It appeared to be only Bristol and Bristol Uni players today)

Basically bristol United is bristol rugby reserves/academy, Cardiff blues select is Cardiff blues reserves plus academy plus players from combination clubs around Cardiff, a bit of a confusing one... 

• Thanks 1