IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

Bristol might need a new scrum half for next season with Rhodri Williams off to the Dragons. I see that Jordan Williams and Ryan Bevington are also being reported as new signings for the Dragons by the BBC but I haven't seen that the departure of the latter two has been confirmed by Bristol. Simon Thomas of Wales Online who is a reliable source is reporting that only Rhodri Williams has signed at this stage:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41872454

Not surprising that the WRU are looking to get exiles home to bolster the Dragons, less so that Rhodri Williams is one given Rhys Webb's imminent unavailability for Wales at the end of the season. They'll want to give other guys the chance to put a case forward for selection.

• Sad 1

• Admin
14 hours ago, The Bard said:

Game yesterday was an absolute cakewalk.  Some really nice play but Rotherham missed so many tackles and looked 3rd rate.  Entertaining

Wasn't much of a spectacle, like you say Rotherham were a very poor side and Bristol really should have put more points on the board, but got too sloppy in the second half

Leedshire has always been a tough place to go, so to dismantle them like that was highly impressive, a couple of wonderful tries as well. 

What is also refreshing to see/hear is that we have finally got our scrum together, we destroyed Rotherhams last week and we were winning penalties off it this week, great improvement 

Edited by JBFC II
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

My biggest worry is as with their last promotion season Bristol scored a lot but conceded a lot as well and that is all well and good in the championship but will get found out again in the premiership, it is an area that they will need to strengthen and to work on.

Funnily enough defence is probably where we have improved most recently, 3 tries conceded in our last two. 

If we can cut out these 10 minute periods where we fall asleep then I'll be more happy, with the rumoured signings coming in as well we should have a much stronger scrum for the premiership, very exciting time to be a Bristol fan

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Funnily enough defence is probably where we have improved most recently, 3 tries conceded in our last two. 

If we can cut out these 10 minute periods where we fall asleep then I'll be more happy, with the rumoured signings coming in as well we should have a much stronger scrum for the premiership, very exciting time to be a Bristol fan

Indeed and the prospect of  Charles Piutau to boot, happy days.

• Like 1

Another big game on Saturday up at Doncaster having put Nottingham to the sword last weekend. Let's hope the lads up at Hartpury can do us a massive favour and at least stop Ealing from taking maximum points. 

1 Bristol 10 10 0 0 432 198 9 49
2 Ealing Trailfinders 10 8 0 2 384 210 9 41
3 Bedford 10 6 1 3 316 248 8 34
4 Nottingham 10 6 0 4 292 291 5 29

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Another big game on Saturday up at Doncaster having put Nottingham to the sword last weekend. Let's hope the lads up at Hartpury can do us a massive favour and at least stop Ealing from taking maximum points. 

1 Bristol 10 10 0 0 432 198 9 49
2 Ealing Trailfinders 10 8 0 2 384 210 9 41
3 Bedford 10 6 1 3 316 248 8 34
4 Nottingham 10 6 0 4 292 291 5 29

Not too concerned looking at Doncaster's last few results:

image.png.b7984b8bab98e583e94496ae249ce191.png

• Like 1

On 30/11/2017 at 11:04, CyderInACan said:

Good. Would love to see Ealing drop points again though 

Personally I think it would actually be healthy for Bristol if they are pushed to the title instead of having it all done and dusted by January. 

Bonus point wins for Bristol and Ealing on the road today, so as you were...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Personally I think it would actually be healthy for Bristol if they are pushed to the title instead of having it all done and dusted by January. 

Bonus point wins for Bristol and Ealing on the road today, so as you were...

I know what you mean, but seeing as I'm going to Ealing in Feb I'd like that to be the game that we secure it! 

• Admin
11 hours ago, RedM said:

Great game of rugby tonight. I havent seen the last couple of games as i have been away watching City. Tonight is the best ive seen them play all season...and last! Good crowd too 28-7 at HT

Hadn't realised it was on sky, caught the last hour. Bristol need to dramatically improve defensively as they concede too many soft points still. Title is nailed on now with promotion, good to see two more games will be live on TV in the coming weeks (Bedford H, Ealing A - ridiculous 7pm kick off on a Saturday) 

One thing the officials were poor last night, how they missed the tackle in the first half where the Bristol guy not only tackled someone in the air, but also with no hands.... Maybe influenced by the crowd? 

First home game I missed last night so had to watch on the TV, Bristol were decent last night but if they play like that next season in the premiership we'll get torn apart. 

No premiership team will give us that much ball in hand and although Madigan, Morahan and Leiua were all outstanding there were too many errors which need to be dealt with. 

The forwards were again much improved but we were still pretty equal at scrum time with the Pirates which we shouldn't be, we need to be getting the upper hand at scrum time if we want to compete in the premiership. 

Defensively we were excellent at times but again there was that 10 minute spell of falling asleep which we can't have next year. 

Overall a decent result, the score board doesn't really tell the whole story and a lot to work on for next season

Ealing- I know they lost vs us and I know they had an abberation v Nottingham- but they generally do keep on winning though- if we go to Ealing and somehow lose then it would get a bit tight again suddenly...

Gap is still 8 points. Promotion by February I think someone predicted on here? Not so sure...

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ealing- I know they lost vs us and I know they had an abberation v Nottingham- but they generally do keep on winning though- if we go to Ealing and somehow lose then it would get a bit tight again suddenly...

Gap is still 8 points. Promotion by February I think someone predicted on here? Not so sure...

It is still tight but I can't see us losing v ealing, reckon it'll be another 5 point victory. The Bristol backs are levels above anything else in this league and when they are on form no team (including Ealing) will be able to stop us. As long as cortes is in the scrum we'll be comfortable imo

5 hours ago, JBFC II said:

It is still tight but I can't see us losing v ealing, reckon it'll be another 5 point victory. The Bristol backs are levels above anything else in this league and when they are on form no team (including Ealing) will be able to stop us. As long as cortes is in the scrum we'll be comfortable imo

True enough. 

I actually welcome a challenge for the title. If we keep winning and we have a strong contender pushing us reasonably deep into the season, that should stand us in good stead I'd say.

• Like 1