IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

3 hours ago, airdog said:

that has certainly been the case in the past but with the coaches we now have and the players that we will have next season I am confident it will be different this time and in 3 years time we will be top 5 and regularly getting crowds of 20,000 +

They'll recruit well this summer - some world class but mostly Premiership class talent.  Target next season will be top 7. Get into Champions Cup first time.  Basically need to get ourselves above Sale, Newcastle, Worcester for sure plus catch a couple of Glaws, Quins or Northampton...  

Easy...

• Like 1

WIll Hurrell and Jack Tovey both sign new deals for next year

Not too sure what to think with regards to that, both young EPQ's so if they are given the right coaching could come in very handy next year but when we were in the Premiership, Tovey didn't impress and Hurrell has hardly set the league on fire this season...

Anyway in Pat Lam we trust

Oh and the team is up for tomorrows game, 4 changes and still a much better side then we were able to put out last year...

https://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/team-news-richmond-vs-bristol-rugby/

• Like 1

In a small comparison between that team and the team in 2015/16 for a match v London Welsh which we won 35-0 in front of 11000.

2015/16 team and substitutes:

Jack Wallace; Tom Varndell, Jack Tovey, Gavin Henson, David Lemi (c); Adrian Jarvis, Will Cliff; Jack O’Connell, Marc Jones, Anthony Perenise, Glen Townson, Mark Sorenson, Nick Koster, Jack Lam, Mitch Eadie.

Replacements: Ross McMillan (for Marc Jones, 60 mins), Ellis Genge (for Jack O’Connell, 57 mins), Jamal Ford-Robinson (for Anthony Perenise, 57 mins), Joe Joyce (for Nick Koster, 67 mins), Craig Hampson (for Will Cliff, 57 mins), Matthew Morgan (for Tom Varndell, 60 mins). Ben Mosses (for David Lemi, 67 mins).

2017/18 team v Richmond plus substitutes:

15. Jordan Williams; 14. Luke Morahan, 13. Siale Piutau, 12. Tusi Pisi (c), 11. Alapati Leiua; 10. Ian Madigan, 9. Andy Uren; 1. Soane Tonga’uiha, 2. Jason Harris-Wright, 3. Sione Faletau, 4. Joe Joyce, 5. Sam Jeffries, 6. Steven Luatua, 7. Dan Thomas, 8. Jordan Crane.

Replacements: 16. Nick Fenton-Wells, 17. Ryan Bevington, 18. Alex Giltrow, 19. Joe Batley, 20. Ryan Glynn, 21. Callum Sheedy, 22. Mat Protheroe.

The 2015/16 team had 6 internationals and some youngsters who I wouldn't mind seeing in our first team at the minute (JFR and Genge...) but at the same time I'd only have 2 players from that starting line up in 2015 in our line up now (Cliff and Perenise)

It just shows how far we have come as a club in the last couple of years, we now have 10 internationals in our squad including many who can't make the team or who are injured, we have some bright young talents and a top coaching team who I believe will take Bristol to the very top, what a great time it is for Bristol Sport

52 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

@JBFC II Tovey has had offers to go elsewhere and for more money than he's on at Bristol, so clearly rated by some. Tovey loves the club and city though hence he has stayed.

Good second half for Bristol yesterday and a very narrow win for Ealing means we extend our lead by a point!

I think he has all the attributes to be a very good player and we have the right coaches to turn him into one so hope it works out.

We are awful for 40 minutes yesterday, Richmond were unlucky to go in level and with a good kicker they could very easily have been 10 points in front at half time. Fortunately our backs saved us with some outstanding tries and another near flawless kicking display from Madigan who looks more and more like the player we thought we were bringing in

3 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Yet still we concede far too many tries! If we're shipping points against Richmond and Pirates imagine how Chiefs and Sarries will profit from our usual loss of focus we seem to suffer from. 

So true, conceding 7 tries in two games against Pirates and Richmond is unacceptable.

Reckon a new defence coach is a must in the summer, we have some top quality players who can obviously tackle well but if they aren't being told how to defend then their quality is worthless.

The line defence and defence in and around the rucks has improved, massive changes needed in the scrum and defending of mauls though as we were being bullied by amateurs yesterday

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

So true, conceding 7 tries in two games against Pirates and Richmond is unacceptable.

Reckon a new defence coach is a must in the summer, we have some top quality players who can obviously tackle well but if they aren't being told how to defend then their quality is worthless.

The line defence and defence in and around the rucks has improved, massive changes needed in the scrum and defending of mauls though as we were being bullied by amateurs yesterday

This is what really annoys me - we're playing teams that train twice a week FFS yet still we concede far too many points. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Hugely more experienced line up announced for Friday though v. Cardiff. We really need to stop conceding so many points though. 

Basically a first team on Friday bar Luatua and Cortes, going to be interesting to see if Cardiff play a stronger side as like us they can't qualify. 

I'd imagine the coaching staff don't want the players rusty going into Bedford and Ealing although it is still a risky tactic as injuries now wouldn't be good

16 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Basically a first team on Friday bar Luatua and Cortes, going to be interesting to see if Cardiff play a stronger side as like us they can't qualify. 

I'd imagine the coaching staff don't want the players rusty going into Bedford and Ealing although it is still a risky tactic as injuries now wouldn't be good

Exactly that - Lam said as much I think when the team was announced 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I'm pretty annoyed they're ditching the B&I Cup. I think it's a great competition for player development. 

Some serious signings for Bristol today!

Think they should do an English cup competition, include teams from the premiership down to the national 2 and give some of the smaller clubs the chance to host the likes of saracens/Leicester etc

Some excellent signings today, building a much better squad for next season than what we had last year, really excited for what the future holds for Bristol 

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Think they should do an English cup competition, include teams from the premiership down to the national 2 and give some of the smaller clubs the chance to host the likes of saracens/Leicester etc

Some excellent signings today, building a much better squad for next season than what we had last year, really excited for what the future holds for Bristol 

That would be nice. I think we are replacing it with an interprovincial tournament to give our kids competitive matches.

Muldowney, Afoa and Heenan are good signings. I don't know the other lads that well.

• Like 1