IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Sorry, am I going mad....................Glos playing Bath in the cup, but not even in the same pool....and both finished BOTTOM of their respective pools, please someone explain !

No you’re not going mad don’t worry!

In order to make a 4th round of fixtures, they have a ‘derby weekend’ which includes crunching derbies like Bristol v Exeter, wasps v Worcester and sale v London Irish, hmmmm

Those results then go towards the pool groups. 

For instance if Bristol and Quins both win tomorrow Bristol will go through as the best second ranked team, and in doing so will knock Exeter off their perch, despite being in different pools

• Thanks 1

Can’t wait for Friday and the sell out under the lights. It seems an eternity since we won up at Newcastle!

Thoughts on our likely team? Presume the World Cup contingent won’t be available along with Morahan and Piutau as they’ve had no action pre-season, which would mean back ups on both wings (Pincus and Edwards?) with Protheroe at full back. 

Cmon Bris!

26399 sold for Friday, highest figure since the redevelopment!

Pat said before the cup games that Piutau and morahan would take no part in order to rest them fully up for bath so I expect them to start. I reckon it’ll look something like this

Woolamore 

Thacker

Afoa

Holmes

Attwood

Luatua

Thomas

Hughes

Uren 

Sheedy

Daniels 

O’Conor

Hurrell

Morahan

Piutau

That side is more than good enough to win imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Club and Country said:

Where as last year was abit of a surprise, it really wouldn’t surprise me this year if Bristol beat bath

infact, would be more surprised if Bath won!

Yep favourites with the bookies to win Friday night @ 4/6. A different kind of pressure this year!

Is top 6 a realistic aim? I would guess that's what Pat and the players have in mind...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep favourites with the bookies to win Friday night @ 4/6. A different kind of pressure this year!

Is top 6 a realistic aim? I would guess that's what Pat and the players have in mind...

I would think so, when you look at the players Bristol have added it’s pretty smart recruitment on there part

as a bath fan would genuinely have no idea what to expect this season, if they finished top 6 would be fantastic, which is an odd thing to say really as baths strongest starting 15 should be good enough to beat anyone, it’s just never on the pitch and firing 

Edited by Club and Country

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Buzzing for this - not sure about Morahan & Charles being ready though 

At least you can attend this year!

rugbyinsideline reckon we’re looking to still recruit two world class players - will be interesting to see what happens. Mind you, I read Yesterday that were after George Ford - can’t see that happening.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

At least you can attend this year!

rugbyinsideline reckon we’re looking to still recruit two world class players - will be interesting to see what happens. Mind you, I read Yesterday that were after George Ford - can’t see that happening.

Probably not - but stranger things have happened!

11 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Probably not - but stranger things have happened!

I think it’s highly unlikely. 

Madigans contract runs out in the summer (and I doubt it’ll be renewed) which means you could argue we’d have space for another 10 but I think Pat will look to reinvest that money on a centre/winger and promote Eden to back up with Lloyd to 3rd choice. 

Even if we do go for another 10, surely Ford is outside our wage budget? He’s on loads!

4 hours ago, Club and Country said:

I would think so, when you look at the players Bristol have added it’s pretty smart recruitment on there part

as a bath fan would genuinely have no idea what to expect this season, if they finished top 6 would be fantastic, which is an odd thing to say really as baths strongest starting 15 should be good enough to beat anyone, it’s just never on the pitch and firing 

And, thinking of Friday's match, don't Bath still have four or five players out in Japan?

17 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Even if we do go for another 10, surely Ford is outside our wage budget? He’s on loads!

Austin Healy said at the weekend whilst commenting on the Exe v. Bris game that Mads is allegedly one of the best paid players in the Prem (and I guess you'd expect him to be fairly well up to speed on who-gets-what) so maybe we might try for Ford next summer if he's good enough for Champion's Cup rugby :whistle:

9 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

They’ve got Watson, Joseph, mcConnachie, Cokanasiga and Underhill just for England!

Precisely, which is one reason I am crossing my fingers for Friday evening.

It does irk me - cricket is the same - that rugby teams seem to be almost penalised for their success.

I know many of us on this forum like to knock Surrey (cricket), but they, along with Yorkshire, deserve some praise for performing well every season when it seems most of their squad are absent on international duty.