IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

Good game but made me really decide that I hate the fact that the fans are mixed. I had quite a few Glousc sitting next to me. Our stadium is 'weird', they 'couldn't hear a thing' (from us, not the speakers) and the Bristol chant 'unimaginative'. That's when they weren't constantly in and out of the row for beers or toilet. i took great delight celebrating every point ?

Not a huge fan of club rugby, but went down yesterday as the Brother in law was down from Essex, I got him tickets for Christmas.
I was really impressed, 2nd half , Bears played some lovely running rugby, really easy to watch. Good day out and we are trying to arrange him coming down for the Exeter game at Easter.

4 hours ago, RedM said:

Good game but made me really decide that I hate the fact that the fans are mixed. I had quite a few Glousc sitting next to me. Our stadium is 'weird', they 'couldn't hear a thing' (from us, not the speakers) and the Bristol chant 'unimaginative'. That's when they weren't constantly in and out of the row for beers or toilet. i took great delight celebrating every point ?

"Glaws" fans tend to have quite a high opinion of themselves and their club. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RedM said:

Their stadium is a shithole, especially the “shed”, that they never stop going on about.

On my way back now. 

First 50 we were dire, lots of handling errors, gave them too much space in attack and to be honest we were happy to only be 14-0 down.

The yellow card was the turning point, should have been a red and a penalty try from my angle but regardless it gave us a second wind. Lovely couple of scores with some actually rugby and we held on! 

Up to 4th now but still not near our best today, plenty to work on but some stuff to be happy about 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

On my way back now. 

First 50 we were dire, lots of handling errors, gave them too much space in attack and to be honest we were happy to only be 14-0 down.

The yellow card was the turning point, should have been a red and a penalty try from my angle but regardless it gave us a second wind. Lovely couple of scores with some actually rugby and we held on! 

Up to 4th now but still not near our best today, plenty to work on but some stuff to be happy about 

I could understand why no penalty try was given as there was a Saints player covering. However, given the rate of knots Joycey was travelling at, and the angle of his run, in reality a near enough certain try was stopped. So, can consider ourselves a little hard done by. 

Great to see Pat still not happy at all with the performance! Striving for excellence. We were better against Gloucester for sure. Starting to really see the potential of this team though, top 4 must surely be a realistic goal. That said, we could still end up finishing 8th and I wouldn't be that surprised!

Big game against Worcester now who presumably aren't that effected by international call-ups? 

Is one possible criticism of Bears' season that all our wins seem to have come in periods when other teams have been effected by World Cup and 6 Nations call-ups?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I could understand why no penalty try was given as there was a Saints player covering. However, given the rate of knots Joycey was travelling at, and the angle of his run, in reality a near enough certain try was stopped. So, can consider ourselves a little hard done by. 

Great to see Pat still not happy at all with the performance! Striving for excellence. We were better against Gloucester for sure. Starting to really see the potential of this team though, top 4 must surely be a realistic goal. That said, we could still end up finishing 8th and I wouldn't be that surprised!

Big game against Worcester now who presumably aren't that effected by international call-ups? 

Is one possible criticism of Bears' season that all our wins seem to have come in periods when other teams have been effected by World Cup and 6 Nations call-ups?

Perhaps, although considering we’ve played 6-7 of our 10 matches in that period, it’s quite a tough criticism. Also, Exeter weren’t affected when we beat them iirc. That being said, games at Leicester and at home to wasps are disappointing ones to lose. 

Worcester won’t be too affected I’d imagine, Ted HIll may be in the England squad but that’s all I can think of.

Completely agree with Pat, we need to be much more clinical with possession and cut out the mistakes, which to be fair we did do in the last 30 and it showed. 

21 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Perhaps, although considering we’ve played 6-7 of our 10 matches in that period, it’s quite a tough criticism. Also, Exeter weren’t affected when we beat them iirc. That being said, games at Leicester and at home to wasps are disappointing ones to lose. 

Worcester won’t be too affected I’d imagine, Ted HIll may be in the England squad but that’s all I can think of.

Completely agree with Pat, we need to be much more clinical with possession and cut out the mistakes, which to be fair we did do in the last 30 and it showed. 

Agreed. No doubting on our day, if it all comes together, we can beat anybody in this division. Exciting times. 

13 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep that Saints player would never have stopped him in a million years! Joycey failed his HIA too so might be a doubt for Sunday. 

• Admin

Bristol Bears' fan favourite Will Hurrell has revealed he suffered a stroke playing for the club against Leicester Tigers on January 4.

Centre Hurrell, was replaced in the 54th minute of the Gallagher Premiership clash at Welford Road by Luke Morahan, for what at the time was believed to be concussion.

He has not featured in a match day squad since.

However last night the Bears players took to Facebook to clarify his injury situation.

Hurrell wrote: "So, I just wanted to let everyone know about my situation as I have had many supporting, kind and worried messages from you all.

"In my last game I played for Bristol against Leicester I received a head injury, which turned out to be a stroke, an infarction of the artery on my left temporal lobe (for any scientists ).

"It’s been a tough 6 weeks but the support I have received has been unbelievable.

"In particular my parents and the RPA [Rugby Players Association] who have helped me through every step of the way.

"I am feeling better but still [have] severe headaches, memory loss and panic attacks.

"I will try to reply to everyone but thank you for all your kind messages.

"I do not know what the future holds but I am feeling positive whatever that is.

"Thank you all and sorry if I don’t reply straight away!"

An official statement from the Bristol Bears is expected later today.

Hurrell, 30, joined Bristol from Doncaster Knights in 2016 and has been a regular for the club ever since.

In 2018/19 the powerful back was on his way to being a nominee for the Bears player of the season before his season was ended early by a shoulder injury training with the club against England.

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/bristol-bears-will-hurrell-stroke-3871997

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Just under 13000 so not many

I don’t think the 1pm ko helped,.Or the fact England were playing at 3, which was ok if you wanted to go into the sports bar straight after but a bit of a rush to get home for. 

Also I guess Worcester aren’t the attraction like one of the bigger names, and with WestBrom the day before an expensive W/e if you were pay on the day or couldn’t give both days up to watching sport

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Midred said:

Remarkable that the match could be played less than 24 hours after City's game. I know the pitch requirements would be different if City were playing the next day but great work for all the organisation needed.

Yes the pitch looked fine, even with less than 24 hours turnaround and all the wet weather we’ve had recently.

• Thanks 1