IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

18 hours ago, RedM said:

I don’t think the 1pm ko helped,.Or the fact England were playing at 3, which was ok if you wanted to go into the sports bar straight after but a bit of a rush to get home for. 

Also I guess Worcester aren’t the attraction like one of the bigger names, and with WestBrom the day before an expensive W/e if you were pay on the day or couldn’t give both days up to watching sport

Like the sags, I would imagine the majority of rugby clubs would kill for that sort of crowd ?

• Like 3

Banner image

SIALE PIUTAU PENS ONE YEAR EXTENSION

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 26TH 2020

Siale Piutau has signed a one-year contract extension at Bristol Bears, the club is delighted to announce.

The former Tongan international captain, who joined Bristol in 2017, has made 47 appearances for the club.

The 34-year-old centre, one of Tonga’s greatest ever players, announced his retirement from international rugby following the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan.

Director of Rugby Pat Lam said: “Siale is a key part of our group. He’s one of the big drivers of our culture and is well respected and valued by all the players and staff.

jmp_harlequins_v_bristol_bears_pk0031.jpg?width=1280

“It’s not just his personal performances, it’s the leadership role he plays and the clarity he brings to everybody on and off the field.

“We have excellent young players that are growing and learning what being a professional rugby player is from players like Siale, so to keep him for another season is massive for the Bears.”

Piutau added: “I’m delighted to be staying at Bristol. It’s a city that me and my family have a close affinity to, and we are really enjoying our time here and the environment that Pat and the coaches have created.

“I’m hugely excited about the direction and journey this club is on and delighted to continue to be a part of that, alongside my brother.”

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Boom.

Great defensive effort.

What the hell was Madigan doing with 10 seconds remaining kicking it back to Bath?!

Still, another solid performance on the road and four wins on the bounce. 

Shaping up to be a cracking season finale.

Lansdown punching the air at the end, has he ever done that at the football?! He looked well happy. 

• Like 4

The tentacles of Bristol Sport are sucking me in!!!!

Nearly as excited by that as watching City .........  ok, I’ll admit it ....... more excited by that than watching City.

Excellent performance.  SL, please note,  appoint a quality manager and, more often than not, they deliver.

Even started to watch the Basketball as well. 

Not sure the blood pressure can cope with three sports though!

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, RedRock said:

The tentacles of Bristol Sport are sucking me in!!!!

Nearly as excited by that as watching City .........  ok, I’ll admit it ....... more excited by that than watching City.

Excellent performance.  SL, please note,  appoint a quality manager and, more often than not, they deliver.

Even started to watch the Basketball as well. 

Not sure the blood pressure can cope with three sports though!

Just on RB........... SL saying words to the effect of     " that's what you get with a fantastic coach, inspiration and grit" !             Hmmmm, ring any bells, Steve ?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Just on RB........... SL saying words to the effect of     " that's what you get with a fantastic coach, inspiration and grit" !             Hmmmm, ring any bells, Steve ?

I think SL has the same opinion of LJ as his does of Pat Lam.

Went to the Rec today and had a right laugh. I was on the clubhouse terrace, along with loads of Bris fans and the one line comments reminded me of the old days at the Gate.

The fact we won and all my mates are Bath fans made it all the sweeter but a good day was had, if a little soggy.

GO BRIS.

• Like 2

Exeter Chiefs are officially Exeter Rugby Club yet appear in the table as Exeter Chiefs
Bristol Bears are officially Bristol Rugby Club yet appear in the table as Bristol
Northampton Saints are officially Northampton Rugby Football Club yet appear in the table as Northampton Saints
Sale Sharks are officially Sale Rugby Union Football Club yet appear in the table as Sale

It's massively pedantic but I wonder why the BBC pick and choose which "rebrands" they use as a means of identifying the clubs?

Answers on a postcard please . . .

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Exeter Chiefs are officially Exeter Rugby Club yet appear in the table as Exeter Chiefs
Bristol Bears are officially Bristol Rugby Club yet appear in the table as Bristol
Northampton Saints are officially Northampton Rugby Football Club yet appear in the table as Northampton Saints
Sale Sharks are officially Sale Rugby Union Football Club yet appear in the table as Sale

It's massively pedantic but I wonder why the BBC pick and choose which "rebrands" they use as a means of identifying the clubs?

Dropped the two stupid rebrand names and kept the decent ones?

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Yes , I was wondering that, guess they just don't like us? :yes:

12 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Just got my tickets for the game at the end of the month. Friday night rugby, a few beers, and hopefully a spanking of the cheats. Can't wait!

Nice. I bloody love Friday night rugby. Few beers under the lights, roaring Bris on, top drawer night in BS3 

55 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Frustrating in many ways today. 

Excellent to get a win of course but seems like that was a point missed, which could prove to be pivotal at the end of the season

Yeah, but on the flipside prevented Quins getting a BP so we now have a 10 point advantage over them in 7th place. 

Secure a top 6 finish first then see what happens...

Another good defensive performance second half today. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yeah, but on the flipside prevented Quins getting a BP so we now have a 10 point advantage over them in 7th place. 

Secure a top 6 finish first then see what happens...

Another good defensive performance second half today. 

True. 

The defence has been outstanding so far when compared to recent seasons, a little bit more fluidity and a slightly better end product are needed for us to push towards the top 2 though. 

That being said, even 6th would give us a fantastic platform for next season, especially with the new players coming in

13 minutes ago, TomF said:

I’m no rugby expert but watched the game on BT and thought second half they really put a shift in defensively when Quinn’s through everything at them. Felt the ref wasn’t particularly favourable either - shame they didn’t get the forth try but a win is a win really.. 

Last weeks win at Bath was a terrific defensive display as well. The Bears must have repelled  Bath from just about 4 or 5 metres from their own line. It’s was tremendously thrilling to watch.

Not quite so many heroics today but another very impressive display. 5 consecutive wins.........

26 minutes ago, TomF said:

I’m no rugby expert but watched the game on BT and thought second half they really put a shift in defensively when Quinn’s through everything at them. Felt the ref wasn’t particularly favourable either - shame they didn’t get the forth try but a win is a win really.. 

Yeah, even though Quinns had so much possession it always felt like we were in control. Same against Bath last week.

Defence had been a big issue for Bristol over the last few years but they seem to have cracked it. Once it all comes together with the attacking game we'll be a real force to be reckoned with. 

Just had a look at the table and I reckon four wins from our remaining nine games (and a few bonus points) will secure Champions Cup rugby for next season.