IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Not pretty but it was never going to be in those conditions. We do seem to create a lot of our own problems.

Big win with Exeter and Sale to come in the next couple of weeks.

Yup, at times it was like we were playing against ourselves as well as the opposition. Ground out an ugly win but at least we have added that to what we can do. 

If Itoje wasn’t playing it would have been a hell of a lot easier!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RedM said:

Yup, at times it was like we were playing against ourselves as well as the opposition. Ground out an ugly win but at least we have added that to what we can do. 

If Itoje wasn’t playing it would have been a hell of a lot easier!

Not least because it was his moaning that stopped the first (perfectly good) try from being given!

Plenty to work on from yesterday, but to play badly and grind out a win against (an admittedly not quite full strength) Saracens bodes well for the future. Watching the Exeter v Tigers and Quinn’s v Sale game we weren’t the only ones who looked slow out of the blocks either. The other positive is we won’t face a pack that good again this season, especially at line out time

Thought the Sarries game plan was excellent yet the Bears found a way to win.

Some bewildering decisions, particularly for the penalty try and the refs statement about rucks and mauls concerning the player holding the ball ( it's not a bloody ruck then) but we take the win and move on to Friday night.

Hopefully, it's not pissing down and we see Radradra at his best as he had no chance when it was pissing down.

I thought the Bears front 5 were excellent but far too much kicking from 9 and let's not mention the line outs eh! :(

Itoje is just pure class but the 'Block' was bullshit! (Biased mind).

Edited by Ska Junkie

13 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Not least because it was his moaning that stopped the first (perfectly good) try from being given!

Plenty to work on from yesterday, but to play badly and grind out a win against (an admittedly not quite full strength) Saracens bodes well for the future. Watching the Exeter v Tigers and Quinn’s v Sale game we weren’t the only ones who looked slow out of the blocks either. The other positive is we won’t face a pack that good again this season, especially at line out time

I think the line out issues were more about us than them to be fair, how many times did both Bris hookers throw beyond the lines? That's schoolboy stuff, admittedly with a wet ball and possibly the best line out thrower in the world on the other side.

17 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I think the line out issues were more about us than them to be fair, how many times did both Bris hookers throw beyond the lines? That's schoolboy stuff, admittedly with a wet ball and possibly the best line out thrower in the world on the other side.

Yep that's true, certainly something to work on. To be honest, thackers set piece has never been great and from what leinster fans have said byrnes line outs aren't his strong point. 

That being said that was made up for by the scrum, to demolish that Sarries front row in the way we did on a fair few occasions was spectacular 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

Yep that's true, certainly something to work on. To be honest, thackers set piece has never been great and from what leinster fans have said byrnes line outs aren't his strong point. 

That being said that was made up for by the scrum, to demolish that Sarries front row in the way we did on a fair few occasions was spectacular 

I totally agree JBFC, the demolition of their front 5 was unexpected but great to see. Plenty to work on as you say but I, for one, cannot wait to see our back line unleashed although yesterday wasn't the day for it.

I  thought Sarries pressing game off Goode's kicks was brilliant and we struggled at times, even the mighty Piutau! I still don't get the first half penalty against Sarries when Charles was nailed in our 22 before their 6 shifted him into touch, seemed fair game to me. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

I totally agree JBFC, the demolition of their front 5 was unexpected but great to see. Plenty to work on as you say but I, for one, cannot wait to see our back line unleashed although yesterday wasn't the day for it.

I  thought Sarries pressing game off Goode's kicks was brilliant and we struggled at times, even the mighty Piutau! I still don't get the first half penalty against Sarries when Charles was nailed in our 22 before their 6 shifted him into touch, seemed fair game to me. 

Yep, sarries kick chase was something we could learn from. Wigglesworth showed his experience with basically every kick being perfect and then the likes of segun were always there competing well. Something for Randall to definitely improve on, as on another day that could have been the difference between a win and defeat. 

I didn't get the penalty either, seemed like he was just clearing Piutau into touch, no malice in it or harm done. Referees and TMO's are very quick (too quick in my opinion) to pick up on little things that wouldn't have been an issue a few years ago, and that's a prime example. 

As you say, here's hoping for some dry weather on Wednesday so we can get the likes of radradra, Piutau and morahan more involved, if the pack can play like they did yesterday they should get plenty of ball against the 'lesser' teams

28 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

How many clubs can leave out one of, if not the best full back in the world plus one of the best wingers and still look strong. 

Exactly. And with the games coming round quicker than they are used to all the more important to rest and rotate.

30 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

Woolmore, Vui, Luatua, Hughes, Sheedy, Siale Piutau, Radrada and Purdy cannot start against Exeter according to the new rules.

Is that correct? All I can see is that no player can start three games in a week, or play more than 180 minutes over three games in a week. The Saracens, Gloucester and Exeter games are over a 10 day period, so surely that rule doesn't apply here?

Apologies if there's another new rule I've missed.

22 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

You could be right, I thought it was that no player could start more than 2 games in 3.

I got my information from this article:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/amp/rugby-union/53826615

Screenshot_20200820-161556.png

So looks as though it only applies on the rare occasion that a team plays three times in a week - though it's not really clear whether a week is seven days (unlikely) or from the start of one weekend to the end of the next.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Super said:

Did well to hold on at the end of the half!

Never in doubt! Great game! Really liking how the new players are fitting in.

Wish I was as confident about the way the football is going in comparison

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Did well to see that out in relative comfort but we're our own worst enemy at times.

Lineout needs work.

I thought we were really strong in our lineouts, but then I'm still learning the game.

Brillaint result and performance, and was also clear to see that there's room for improvement. 

7 premiership wins on the bounce. That takes some doing! Well done the lads. 

• Like 1