IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Even though we beat them at their place and it took a last gasp score at AG to win?

I would hope if we had to do the final we made some sort of point that we were doing it for Wasps, somehow. 

Having watched Chiefs v Racing I was sooo impressed with them - they are really formidable and looked better now than when the Bears faced them during the season.

I really can’t see anything than a Chiefs win should the Bears have to face them and by some margin.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Depends on how hard the Wasps squad being hit by Covid but I really hope that the Bears don’t have to face the mighty Exeter Chiefs who are deservedly the European champions and the PLs dominant club.

They’d be too powerful for the Bears and the result could be an embarrassment.

Did you feel the same way before City played Man Utd?

• Like 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Having watched Chiefs v Racing I was sooo impressed with them - they are really formidable and looked better now than when the Bears faced them during the season.

I really can’t see anything than a Chiefs win should the Bears have to face them and by some margin.

Completely different styles of rugby though, as when we beat them, it's about who puts their best performance in

19 minutes ago, TomF said:

Four more cases from Wasps.  11 positive in total. Another round of testing tomorrow and then a decision will be made.

Think its looking increasingly likely Bristol are going to be stepping in..

I don't really agree with it, but it would give us a shot at the double! 

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Exeter best team. Just give it to them. It's like asking Liverpool to go through a play off system last season to be confirmed as Champs. Ridiculous. And all just for bloody TV.  

Sadly I would imagine the TV contract may be dictating events here.

But this scenario was written into the rules before the re-start so not like it has just been rushed through

8 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Exeter best team. Just give it to them. It's like asking Liverpool to go through a play off system last season to be confirmed as Champs. Ridiculous. And all just for bloody TV.  

Yeah I agree - BUT they won the league knowing they'd have to win 2 more games to be crowned as champions. So nothing has changed. AND this was in the rules when the league restarted. PLUS I have never forgiven them for that win down here 2 years ago. 

Maybe I don't agree after all . . . 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Absolutely they are. They won title by accumulating mote points that’s any other team. The top four play off is a blatant exploitation of the game - all for the TV money.

I think is absolutely outrageous.

if as a Bears supporter and we actually beat the Chiefs in the play off final it would mean bugger all to me and I’d willingly give the trophy to Exeter - they deserve it.

Edited by Robbored

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Four more cases from Wasps.  11 positive in total. Another round of testing tomorrow and then a decision will be made.

Think its looking increasingly likely Bristol are going to be stepping in..

Do players who have been exposed have to isolate for two weeks regardless of if they test negative?

Edited by ChubStixx
Edit

• Admin
30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Absolutely they are. They won title by accumulating mote points that’s any other team. The top four play off is a blatant exploitation of the game - all for the TV money.

I think is absolutely outrageous.

if as a Bears supporter and we actually beat the Chiefs in the play off final it would mean bugger all to me and I’d willingly give the trophy to Exeter - they deserve it.

No offence but the above is nonsense 

The play off format has been in place for years and Exeter are fully aware of what is required to be crowned Champions. 

There's nothing under hand here. It's been in the game for years.

I'm sure Bristol would enjoy the payback though after finishing top of the Championship but Exeter won promotion after a play off

20 minutes ago, ChubStixx said:

Do players who have been exposed have to isolate for two weeks regardless of if they test negative?

Interesting point.

I was in a venue on Saturday 10th with someone who since tested positive. I've been tested and found negative but still have this 

20201019_162258.jpg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, phantom said:

No offence but the above is nonsense 

The play off format has been in place for years and Exeter are fully aware of what is required to be crowned Champions. 

There's nothing under hand here. It's been in the game for years.

I'm sure Bristol would enjoy the payback though after finishing top of the Championship but Exeter won promotion after a play off

It’s always been nonsense Phants. Bristol lost out having win the Championship in the play offs.The format was introduced in 2005/6 simply for tv money. 

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s always been nonsense Phants. Bristol lost out having win the Championship in the play offs.The format was introduced in 2005/6 simply for tv money. 

Loads of sports use play off systems, and in the Premiership its been around for years so its a bit pointless bleating now. TV money is needed - now more than ever

• Like 1

• Admin

Story just updated on BBC sport: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54598315

Wasps' participation in Saturday's Premiership final against Exeter at Twickenham is in doubt after three more players tested positive for Covid-19.

Four players and three staff members tested positive last week, meaning the club now has seven players self-isolating who would be unavailable.

A decision on whether or not Wasps can play will be made on Wednesday after another round of testing on Tuesday.

Bristol Bears will replace Wasps should they be unable to fulfil the fixture.

The Bears finished third in the league and lost to Wasps in the semi-finals earlier this month.

In addition to the three extra players who have returned positive results, a further member of staff has also tested positive.

"After consultation with the medical leads at Premiership Rugby, the RFU and Public Health England, the club will continue not to train at this stage," a Wasps statement said.

"The club's Covid-19 contact tracing, measures and protocols, which remain rigorous, will continue to be adhered to.

"Exeter Chiefs and Bristol Bears have been made aware of the situation prior to the public release of this information."

Wasps, who finished second in the Premiership table behind Exeter, lost to Rob Baxter's side in their last appearance in the final in 2017.

The Coventry-based club should have had an extra week's preparation for the match as the Chiefs were playing in the Champions Cup final on Saturday.

But Lee Blackett's men have not trained since the seven positive tests were announced last Wednesday.

Should Bristol replace Wasps it will be the first time they have made the end-of-season final and would see the holders of Europe's two cup competitions play for the domestic title.

Exeter beat Racing 92 on Saturday for their first-ever Champions Cup crown while Bristol overcame Toulon to win the Challenge Cup final in Provence the previous day.

Analysis

BBC rugby union correspondent Chris Jones

Just five days out from the final, and the Premiership showpiece remains in limbo, with a total of seven players at Wasps now testing positive for the virus in the last week.

The squad will have another round of testing on Tuesday, but even if Wasps are cleared to play, their preparation has been badly hit given they will have a number of players unavailable and have yet to resume training for their biggest match in years.

Bristol remain on standby, with this latest news increasing the Bears' chances of being handed an unprecedented reprieve when a decision is made on Wednesday.

Bears put tropical social plans on hold

Pat Lam and Bristol players celebrate the European Challenge Cup final win against Toulon
Pat Lam and the Bristol squad had a European Challenge Cup final win to celebrate on Friday

As Bristol Bears continue to wait in the wings for an announcement on Wasps' participation, their head coach Pat Lam believes everything should be done to ensure Exeter and Wasps contest Saturday's final.

"We absolutely believe Wasps and Exeter should be contesting this final," Lam said shortly after hearing about the four further positive tests.

"Lee (Blackett) has done a superb job, as has Rob (Baxter). On Saturday, it was superb to see what Exeter have done in winning the European Champions Cup.

"We ourselves have been put in a situation where it's not ideal. Everything with Covid in fact is not ideal.

"To be in a situation where even now, we're still waiting for sure if we've played our final match in this season of all seasons, I've got a players' room next door all decked out in tropical and Hawaiian gear where we were supposed to having our socially-distanced party to wrap up the season.

"We were told we were going to get an answer on Monday morning, so we were hoping to have that party in the afternoon, but we'll keep waiting."

Bristol already have plenty to celebrate after their 32-19 European Challenge Cup final win against Toulon on Friday, plus a third-place finish in the Premiership.

"The players have been great throughout all this," added Lam. "Myself included, we were all booked for holidays this week and ready to go.

"We've put them all on hold for now.

"But when we got back from the season restart, there were a lot of things we all signed-up to: Playing midweek games, forfeiting games if teams couldn't fulfil fixtures and the play-off situation too, with teams potentially dropping out and the next highest-finisher stepping in where we are now.

"We were all hoping we wouldn't find ourselves in this situation, but here we are.

"We've got to get tested ourselves as a group on Tuesday and train and then on Wednesday, we'll see where we go from there."

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Yeah I agree - BUT they won the league knowing they'd have to win 2 more games to be crowned as champions. So nothing has changed. AND this was in the rules when the league restarted. PLUS I have never forgiven them for that win down here 2 years ago. 

Maybe I don't agree after all . . . 

Agree entirely with all that. Just can't stand any sport where the best team over the course of a season - and Exeter have been - need to subject themselves to an additional knock out series in which they might not be "champions" after all. Seems to be against natural justice, that's all.

Believe me, I've no great love for them - I was there the night they beat us to win the play offs even though we'd won the league by 4 points and, if memory serves (but might not), we'd beaten them home and away in doing so. Not the best night out, that one. 

I respect what they've achieved since then, certainly, although the way they play bores the arse off me. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 3

• Admin

AN OPEN LETTER FROM CHAIRMAN, CHRIS BOOY

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 21ST 2020

Friday’s European Challenge Cup victory was a fitting end to what has been an incredible – and at times surreal – 2019/20 campaign.

The opening day derby win over Bath, over a year ago now, set the tone for a season that will live long in the memory for Bears supporters across the globe. Pat Lam’s men secured historic doubles over Bath and Gloucester, beat European champions Exeter away from home and the team achieved a third placed finish and our highest ever points total in the Premiership.

To be able to celebrate those achievements with a trophy last weekend – surrounded by brilliant people who care deeply about the club – was without doubt my personal highlight of the past two decades I have been involved. What’s equally exciting is that we believe this is just the start. Pat has a world class management team and a squad with a core of homegrown players, supplemented by world class talent who are proud to represent the jersey.

The class of 2019/20 topped the stats charts in so many areas and achieved results whilst staying true to the dynamic, exciting Bears brand that we have come to be known for. With Pat at the helm driving our vision, the sky is the limit for this great club and we aspire to dominate in the Premiership and Europe for years to come.

There is no denying that there have been turbulent times away from the field and it is with deep regret that we have not been able to share the joy of the team success with our magnificent supporters. We are incredibly grateful for your continued backing and for the thousands of messages, emails, cards and social media well wishes that the guys have received. It will be a special moment when we are all back together at Ashton Gate.

I’d like to thank CEO Mark Tainton who, during an unprecedented season impacted by the pandemic, has shown outstanding leadership off-field to ensure that the Bears have been prepared as possible for the challenges ahead. Mark has been fantastically supported by Gavin Marshall, the group’s chief financial officer, and Mark Kelly, who is doing an excellent job as managing director of Bristol Sport and Ashton Gate.

Finally, we pay tribute to Steve, Jon, Maggie and the entire Lansdown family, who continue to show unwavering support and commitment to the Bristol Bears and our community. Nothing would have been possible without the Lansdowns and it’s their vision to see sport thrive in our proud city that has given us the platform to succeed. The club is truly grateful.

Enjoy the short off-season and we look forward to the 2020/21 campaign.

Up the Bears!

Chris Booy

Bristol Bears Chairman.

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bristolbearsrugby.com/news/an-open-letter-from-chairman-chris-booy/

• Like 1

• Admin

Wasps head coach Lee Blackett has confirmed 11 players from his squad are unavailable for selection for their Premiership final against Exeter.

Those players have either tested positive for coronavirus or have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive.

Of those 11, Blackett says four would have probably been in the matchday 23.

"It's not ideal preparation but you could argue we'll be fresh," said Blackett, previewing Saturday's final.

"We've had two weeks' rest, and we trained really, really well yesterday.

"We've got 33 players to pick from. It's gut-wrenching for those who will miss out but the health and safety of players and families is more important."

Bristol Bears, beaten by Wasps in the semi-final on 10 October, were on standby to replace Wasps if the Coventry-based club were unable to fulfil the fixture.

On Wednesday, however, it was confirmed that Wasps would be able to participate.

Blackett said the results of the latest round of testing, which were all negative, came through at 02:30 BST on Wednesday.

"A fair few of us as staff were up at 02:00 and most of us never went back to sleep," he added. "You think you'd be able to get back to sleep after positive news, but it was the excitement and the realisation of what's just happened.

"Finals are emotional anyway and for us it's been such an emotional week. We needed to lower emotions yesterday.

"Everybody was excited to be back, but we needed to control ourselves because we need to save that emotion for the weekend."

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54644695

11 minutes ago, bristolmoose said:

Looks like a lot of the Bears may turn out for the Barbarians this weekend as Saracens continue to believe rules are for other people!

Hopefully not. The new season isn’t that far away with plenty of injuries and international players, we’d have a thin squad come first game as it is.