IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

6 hours ago, phantom said:

Without sounding daft, it is naturally much easier to support and get behind a winning team

It's not just the winning team bit for me. I guess the thing I most enjoy is seeing the 'journey' having watched some of the players in the Championship now Premiership. Seeing how Pat Lam has influenced and built the team.

I'm under no illusion that yes it has had money spent on players, coaches, facilities etc. But you can spend and fail, you can have the wrong DNA so to speak and it doesn't work.

The whole Bears ethnic is something else. They play as a team and you can see the bond and what it means. 

I cannot find the words to explain it only that they have that 'something' that I haven't seen in our footballers for a while.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

It's not just the winning team bit for me. I guess the thing I most enjoy is seeing the 'journey' having watched some of the players in the Championship now Premiership. Seeing how Pat Lam has influenced and built the team.

I'm under no illusion that yes it has had money spent on players, coaches, facilities etc. But you can spend and fail, you can have the wrong DNA so to speak and it doesn't work.

The whole Bears ethnic is something else. They play as a team and you can see the bond and what it means. 

I cannot find the words to explain it only that they have that 'something' that I haven't seen in our footballers for a while.

I know exactly what you mean RedM. Pat Lam is an impressive guy and has built a formidable squad of players that are more than capable on winning the PL.

Sure he’s had sound financial backing but that doesn’t always mean success.

Rugby has always been my third favourite sport behind football and cricket but despite that I really enjoy watching the Bears and look forward to seeing them live on tv

• Like 1

On 12/01/2021 at 09:40, JBFC II said:

To be honest, I’m bored of it. I can’t remember the last time I wanted City, whereas every Bristol game this season has been enjoyable in its own way, even in defeat. 

Perhaps that will change, but for now, especially as we can’t go in person, Bristol have been much better lockdown entertainment 

Might be something to do with us appointing Holden mate, which you were all for.

4 minutes ago, Lenners said:

Might be something to do with us appointing Holden mate, which you were all for.

Was I? I don’t think anyone was ‘all for’ us appointing Holden, rather I thought we should give him a chance to show us what he can bring. I’d still back that, as although the football hasn’t been the most inspiring we’re in the top 10 with a decent chance of a cup quarter final with how the draws panned out.

I don’t think anyone expected City to be as exciting as Bristol rugby this season, the difference in quality of coaches explains that, so I’m not quite sure what you’re getting at?

18 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Also, Sinckler banned for two weeks, as expected:

Probably fair, although I feel he’s been scapegoated somewhat. He wasn’t aggressive towards the referee, or abusive. Had there been a full house there it probably wouldn’t have been heard. 2 weeks does send out a clear warning though

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

When will the Bears know when/if  the postponed European matches will replaced with PL fixtures?

Both Baxter and Lam were saying that it would be a good option.

I think it’s been confirmed they won’t, at least the Premiership has confirmed there will now be a 2 week break

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Also, Sinckler banned for two weeks, as expected:

Whilst I am a bit gutted that he will miss games for us and England, I am actually glad that this has happened. Once exceptions start being made it won't be long until rugby players start acting as obnoxiously as footballers while on the pitch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Probably fair, although I feel he’s been scapegoated somewhat. He wasn’t aggressive towards the referee, or abusive. Had there been a full house there it probably wouldn’t have been heard. 2 weeks does send out a clear warning though

Personally I don't think that he's been scapegoated. I haven't seen anyone talk to an official in the way that he did and escape a card or a citing. I agree with Slacker that bans for this sort of thing are needed to try and stop it from creeping into the game.

29 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Personally I don't think that he's been scapegoated. I haven't seen anyone talk to an official in the way that he did and escape a card or a citing. I agree with Slacker that bans for this sort of thing are needed to try and stop it from creeping into the game.

I agree they do, respect for the referee is highly important in keeping the values of rugby. Backchat does happen regularly though, look at Dan Biggar for instance. I think it’s a little harsh on Sinckler that he’s been caught up on it just because what he said was heard because of the lack of crowd noise. Hopefully this’ll mean they start picking up on it more regularly in the future 

2 hours ago, Paul G said:

They know now. 2 week rest period. 

Yeah, to benefit player welfare apparently.

I can see both sides of the argument, a break now whilst cases are high isn't a bad idea if it reduces potential spread (although presumably they're still training), but player welfare will be more of an issue later in the season if the European tournaments do play to a finish with international matches and a Lions tour to potentially follow. And they didn't seem overly bothered about player welfare when they were scheduling midweek fixtures to get last season finished.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

Whilst I am a bit gutted that he will miss games for us and England, I am actually glad that this has happened. Once exceptions start being made it won't be long until rugby players start acting as obnoxiously as footballers while on the pitch.

He actually won't miss anything for us that he would have been available for. Technically he misses the Bath game but he wouldn't have played in it anyway because he'd have been away with England.

• Like 2

On 13/01/2021 at 13:06, MichaelRobartes said:

A big part of it is that Sinkler played with the ref for 5 years at Quins.  In fact Karl Dickson was apparently the player charged with keeping him out of trouble.  The reaction was therefore, in some part, towards someone he was very familiar with.  I cannot believe Sinkler would've spoken to Wayne Barnes like that for example.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55664542

The final two rounds of European pool matches that were postponed earlier this week will not be rearranged, Premiership Rugby has confirmed.

The games were set to take place over the next two weekends but instead the Champions Cup and Challenge Cup will go straight to a knockout format in April.

European Cup organisers (EPCR) are set to announce the revamped structure of the competitions in the coming week.

On 21/01/2021 at 17:30, JBFC II said:

Flatman has named Luatua his player of the season so far, thoroughly deserved imo

On 21/01/2021 at 17:50, RedM said:

Absolutely agree. He is everything you’d want in a captain. 

The bloke is a Bristol legend. Whilst the likes of Semi, Charles etc get the plaudits, Luatua just quietly goes about his job, doing what he does, helping us be one of the best teams to watch that there is. What a man. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, RedM said:

Who is the ‘kicker’? ( sorry don’t know the correct term) as Sheedy is on the bench. Lloyd is in that position isn’t he, but does he kick, I can’t remember?

Lloyd kicks, kicked a very good conversion in the win v Bath at the start of last season

• Thanks 1