Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Barrs Court Red

All things Bristol Bears (Merged)

Most of Bristol's defending wasn't bad today I thought, especially on their 5m line. Some of the counter rucking was excellent. I felt they tried to offload too often given the conditions. They got beaten up in the scrum so it didn't help that they kept knocking on and turning ball over there. 

They didn't play the conditions at all well but did enough in the end. Concerning that all the investment hasn't bought them a solid scrum, though I guess Cortes would make a difference at tighthead.

The defending was much improved today, some great tackling on the 5 metre line. If we could scrimmage we'd have been out of sight after 60 minutes, ball in hand we were excellent but the front 3 were dominated.

Overall much improved in what is probably the toughest game of the season

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Agreed @JBFC II only criticism I'd have of Bristol in possession is not playing the percentage game enough given the rain. Too many attempted offloads with a wet ball.

And also too many passes to players standing flat, leading to us losing metres, stuff that can be addressed easily though

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JBFC II said:

The defending was much improved today, some great tackling on the 5 metre line. If we could scrimmage we'd have been out of sight after 60 minutes, ball in hand we were excellent but the front 3 were dominated.

Overall much improved in what is probably the toughest game of the season

I thought they played better in a close game than they did in large parts of the last two home games in which they had a much greater points margin, which must seem an odd thing to say. That said I think they will take confidence and build from yesterday's result more than they would from beating the teams we have already played.

The next home game is on Saturday, they have move the days and times a lot lately, but I'm already committed to do something else so sadly I cannot attend.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RedM said:

I thought they played better in a close game than they did in large parts of the last two home games in which they had a much greater points margin, which must seem an odd thing to say. That said I think they will take confidence and build from yesterday's result more than they would from beating the teams we have already played.

The next home game is on Saturday, they have move the days and times a lot lately, but I'm already committed to do something else so sadly I cannot attend.

First time I've seen them this season @RedM so it's good to hear about the improvement in performance. I think that for the most part they played well, the problems in the scrum are always a momentum killer and the scoreline ended up being a lot closer than it should have been given Bristol's superiority in pretty much every other area of the game. Ealing were decent and let no-one down but were clearly second best outside the scrum for me.

I might go on Saturday since it's only a tenner. Last time I went to see them was Sale at home last season which was probably the worst game of rugby I've ever seen in my life.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RedM said:

How many there ?

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

How many there ?

7100 ish. 

• Thanks 1

On 07/10/2017 at 16:10, Super said:

Another high scoring game! 

Good crowd too - about 8,500 from memory. Still conceding too many points though. 

I see today "Bristol United" faced "Cardiff Blues Premiership Select" in the British & Irish Cup today.

I presume the teams are combined teams from each City, but can anyone clarify the selection criteria for me? Which teams do the Bristol United players come from? (It appeared to be only Bristol and Bristol Uni players today)

On 14/10/2017 at 20:34, Chris_Brown said:

I see today "Bristol United" faced "Cardiff Blues Premiership Select" in the British & Irish Cup today.

I presume the teams are combined teams from each City, but can anyone clarify the selection criteria for me? Which teams do the Bristol United players come from? (It appeared to be only Bristol and Bristol Uni players today)

Basically bristol United is bristol rugby reserves/academy, Cardiff blues select is Cardiff blues reserves plus academy plus players from combination clubs around Cardiff, a bit of a confusing one... 

• Thanks 1

Just watched saracens v ospreys, what a fantastic advert for rugby, the day bristol can get anywhere near the level of either of those two I'll be a day to remmeber

11 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Ealing running out of steam I reckon, should be an easy win next st home to Roth and hopefully open up a wider gap to Ealing 

It's free for all City season ticket holders so should be a good crowd for a points-fest! Immediately followed by England v. Argentina!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

It's free for all City season ticket holders so should be a good crowd for a points-fest! Immediately followed by England v. Argentina!

England v Argies will be good! Hopefully we put on a show and some City fans return 

• Like 2

Bristol might need a new scrum half for next season with Rhodri Williams off to the Dragons. I see that Jordan Williams and Ryan Bevington are also being reported as new signings for the Dragons by the BBC but I haven't seen that the departure of the latter two has been confirmed by Bristol. Simon Thomas of Wales Online who is a reliable source is reporting that only Rhodri Williams has signed at this stage:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41872454

Not surprising that the WRU are looking to get exiles home to bolster the Dragons, less so that Rhodri Williams is one given Rhys Webb's imminent unavailability for Wales at the end of the season. They'll want to give other guys the chance to put a case forward for selection.

• Sad 1

Free ticket for city season ticket holders for Saturdays game v Rotherham, over 7k sold already so should be a good crowd. 

I'm not too bothered about losing Rhodri, Bevington and Jordan Williams tbf, 3 decent players but 3 players who wouldn't be 1st choice next season

14 hours ago, The Bard said:

Game yesterday was an absolute cakewalk.  Some really nice play but Rotherham missed so many tackles and looked 3rd rate.  Entertaining

Wasn't much of a spectacle, like you say Rotherham were a very poor side and Bristol really should have put more points on the board, but got too sloppy in the second half

Leedshire has always been a tough place to go, so to dismantle them like that was highly impressive, a couple of wonderful tries as well. 

What is also refreshing to see/hear is that we have finally got our scrum together, we destroyed Rotherhams last week and we were winning penalties off it this week, great improvement 

Edited by JBFC II
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

My biggest worry is as with their last promotion season Bristol scored a lot but conceded a lot as well and that is all well and good in the championship but will get found out again in the premiership, it is an area that they will need to strengthen and to work on.

Funnily enough defence is probably where we have improved most recently, 3 tries conceded in our last two. 

If we can cut out these 10 minute periods where we fall asleep then I'll be more happy, with the rumoured signings coming in as well we should have a much stronger scrum for the premiership, very exciting time to be a Bristol fan

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Funnily enough defence is probably where we have improved most recently, 3 tries conceded in our last two. 

If we can cut out these 10 minute periods where we fall asleep then I'll be more happy, with the rumoured signings coming in as well we should have a much stronger scrum for the premiership, very exciting time to be a Bristol fan

Indeed and the prospect of  Charles Piutau to boot, happy days.

• Like 1

Another big game on Saturday up at Doncaster having put Nottingham to the sword last weekend. Let's hope the lads up at Hartpury can do us a massive favour and at least stop Ealing from taking maximum points. 

1 Bristol 10 10 0 0 432 198 9 49
2 Ealing Trailfinders 10 8 0 2 384 210 9 41
3 Bedford 10 6 1 3 316 248 8 34
4 Nottingham 10 6 0 4 292 291 5 29

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Another big game on Saturday up at Doncaster having put Nottingham to the sword last weekend. Let's hope the lads up at Hartpury can do us a massive favour and at least stop Ealing from taking maximum points. 

1 Bristol 10 10 0 0 432 198 9 49
2 Ealing Trailfinders 10 8 0 2 384 210 9 41
3 Bedford 10 6 1 3 316 248 8 34
4 Nottingham 10 6 0 4 292 291 5 29

Not too concerned looking at Doncaster's last few results:

image.png.b7984b8bab98e583e94496ae249ce191.png

• Like 1

On 30/11/2017 at 11:04, CyderInACan said:

Good. Would love to see Ealing drop points again though 

Personally I think it would actually be healthy for Bristol if they are pushed to the title instead of having it all done and dusted by January. 

Bonus point wins for Bristol and Ealing on the road today, so as you were...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Personally I think it would actually be healthy for Bristol if they are pushed to the title instead of having it all done and dusted by January. 

Bonus point wins for Bristol and Ealing on the road today, so as you were...

I know what you mean, but seeing as I'm going to Ealing in Feb I'd like that to be the game that we secure it! 

Great game of rugby tonight. I havent seen the last couple of games as i have been away watching City. Tonight is the best ive seen them play all season...and last! Good crowd too 28-7 at HT

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RedM said:

Great game of rugby tonight. I havent seen the last couple of games as i have been away watching City. Tonight is the best ive seen them play all season...and last! Good crowd too 28-7 at HT

Hadn't realised it was on sky, caught the last hour. Bristol need to dramatically improve defensively as they concede too many soft points still. Title is nailed on now with promotion, good to see two more games will be live on TV in the coming weeks (Bedford H, Ealing A - ridiculous 7pm kick off on a Saturday) 

One thing the officials were poor last night, how they missed the tackle in the first half where the Bristol guy not only tackled someone in the air, but also with no hands.... Maybe influenced by the crowd? 

First home game I missed last night so had to watch on the TV, Bristol were decent last night but if they play like that next season in the premiership we'll get torn apart. 

No premiership team will give us that much ball in hand and although Madigan, Morahan and Leiua were all outstanding there were too many errors which need to be dealt with. 

The forwards were again much improved but we were still pretty equal at scrum time with the Pirates which we shouldn't be, we need to be getting the upper hand at scrum time if we want to compete in the premiership. 

Defensively we were excellent at times but again there was that 10 minute spell of falling asleep which we can't have next year. 

Overall a decent result, the score board doesn't really tell the whole story and a lot to work on for next season

Ealing- I know they lost vs us and I know they had an abberation v Nottingham- but they generally do keep on winning though- if we go to Ealing and somehow lose then it would get a bit tight again suddenly...

Gap is still 8 points. Promotion by February I think someone predicted on here? Not so sure...

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ealing- I know they lost vs us and I know they had an abberation v Nottingham- but they generally do keep on winning though- if we go to Ealing and somehow lose then it would get a bit tight again suddenly...

Gap is still 8 points. Promotion by February I think someone predicted on here? Not so sure...

It is still tight but I can't see us losing v ealing, reckon it'll be another 5 point victory. The Bristol backs are levels above anything else in this league and when they are on form no team (including Ealing) will be able to stop us. As long as cortes is in the scrum we'll be comfortable imo

5 hours ago, JBFC II said:

It is still tight but I can't see us losing v ealing, reckon it'll be another 5 point victory. The Bristol backs are levels above anything else in this league and when they are on form no team (including Ealing) will be able to stop us. As long as cortes is in the scrum we'll be comfortable imo

True enough. 

I actually welcome a challenge for the title. If we keep winning and we have a strong contender pushing us reasonably deep into the season, that should stand us in good stead I'd say.

• Like 1

Phantom , if you go to the Bristol rugby forum and look at the post from  rinkadink on the Sky commentary thread  you will see stills that show the tackle you refer to was perfectly legal .

The ref got it right .

that has certainly been the case in the past but with the coaches we now have and the players that we will have next season I am confident it will be different this time and in 3 years time we will be top 5 and regularly getting crowds of 20,000 +

• Like 1

3 hours ago, airdog said:

that has certainly been the case in the past but with the coaches we now have and the players that we will have next season I am confident it will be different this time and in 3 years time we will be top 5 and regularly getting crowds of 20,000 +

They'll recruit well this summer - some world class but mostly Premiership class talent.  Target next season will be top 7. Get into Champions Cup first time.  Basically need to get ourselves above Sale, Newcastle, Worcester for sure plus catch a couple of Glaws, Quins or Northampton...  

Easy...

• Like 1

WIll Hurrell and Jack Tovey both sign new deals for next year

Not too sure what to think with regards to that, both young EPQ's so if they are given the right coaching could come in very handy next year but when we were in the Premiership, Tovey didn't impress and Hurrell has hardly set the league on fire this season...

Anyway in Pat Lam we trust

Oh and the team is up for tomorrows game, 4 changes and still a much better side then we were able to put out last year...

https://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/team-news-richmond-vs-bristol-rugby/

• Like 1

In a small comparison between that team and the team in 2015/16 for a match v London Welsh which we won 35-0 in front of 11000.

2015/16 team and substitutes:

Jack Wallace; Tom Varndell, Jack Tovey, Gavin Henson, David Lemi (c); Adrian Jarvis, Will Cliff; Jack O’Connell, Marc Jones, Anthony Perenise, Glen Townson, Mark Sorenson, Nick Koster, Jack Lam, Mitch Eadie.

Replacements: Ross McMillan (for Marc Jones, 60 mins), Ellis Genge (for Jack O’Connell, 57 mins), Jamal Ford-Robinson (for Anthony Perenise, 57 mins), Joe Joyce (for Nick Koster, 67 mins), Craig Hampson (for Will Cliff, 57 mins), Matthew Morgan (for Tom Varndell, 60 mins). Ben Mosses (for David Lemi, 67 mins).

2017/18 team v Richmond plus substitutes:

15. Jordan Williams; 14. Luke Morahan, 13. Siale Piutau, 12. Tusi Pisi (c), 11. Alapati Leiua; 10. Ian Madigan, 9. Andy Uren; 1. Soane Tonga’uiha, 2. Jason Harris-Wright, 3. Sione Faletau, 4. Joe Joyce, 5. Sam Jeffries, 6. Steven Luatua, 7. Dan Thomas, 8. Jordan Crane.

Replacements: 16. Nick Fenton-Wells, 17. Ryan Bevington, 18. Alex Giltrow, 19. Joe Batley, 20. Ryan Glynn, 21. Callum Sheedy, 22. Mat Protheroe.

The 2015/16 team had 6 internationals and some youngsters who I wouldn't mind seeing in our first team at the minute (JFR and Genge...) but at the same time I'd only have 2 players from that starting line up in 2015 in our line up now (Cliff and Perenise)

It just shows how far we have come as a club in the last couple of years, we now have 10 internationals in our squad including many who can't make the team or who are injured, we have some bright young talents and a top coaching team who I believe will take Bristol to the very top, what a great time it is for Bristol Sport