Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Barrs Court Red

All things Bristol Bears (Merged)

Recommended Posts

I used my free ticket today and, have to say, it was over priced. Bristol only have two problems - can't score and can't defend. Apart from that everything is OK. Even though it was great having a relaxing pint whilst watching the match, it was an awful experience. It was like watching the rugby equivalent of one of SoD's teams on a really bad day. I felt sorry for the regular Bristol supporters as the team looks doomed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Always amusing when people call rugby "egg chasing" like they've just thought of it and it hasn't been said ten billion times before. 

I don't find it amusing at all but I do find it amusing when somebody has to post that they've seen it ten billion times before, now that is amusing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Always amusing when people call rugby "egg chasing" like they've just thought of it and it hasn't been said ten billion times before. 

I don't think anyone who calls it egg chasing thinks they're the first.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the first time ever at Ashton Gate I felt completely detached from the action, I even moved into the Lansdown stand to see if it would help, it didn't.

There was a decent crowd but in all honesty it was like no one was actually interested in the rugby, it was like watching a training session rather than an extremely important match.

I used to go up to the memorial ground quite regularly and never once did i feel like I did today, today was my first rugby match at Ashton Gate and maybe that had something to do with it because it is so different to what I am used to? 

The most annoying thing was having to stand up every 30 seconds whilst someone got a beer. I did like the rugby pint glasses tho. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

Went down today with my freebie ticket.I will never moan about a boring football match again as it was bloody shocking.The standard of rugby from Bristol was really poor and the atmosphere was crap as well.The only plus was that I could take my pint to my seat and drink it with no problems.All I can say to Steve Lansdown is save your money because in the championship next year the crowds will be cut by half.

You should have sat in the middle of your row.

I didn't need to get up for anyone during the match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I call it Egg chasing because it's very apt, not because I think it's clever. 

We could call it 30 gurt lummoxes, tediously handballing for 80 minutes, and that would be apt too!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Boos ringing around the Gate - Robinson out.

I never heard any boos against the team, it's what they do when they have a maul. Its encouraging them to push!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Interesting. Shades of our 2015 summer then? (without wanting to open that can of worms again!)

very similar tbf, the only problem is i doubt a new manager will make a difference for Bris unlike LJ did for us.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RedM said:

I never heard any boos against the team, it's what they do when they have a maul. Its encouraging them to push!

Like my response to Phantom, it was not - it started because of another passage of dreadful kicking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Like my response to Phantom, it was not - it started because of another passage of dreadful kicking.

Ok, I'm not saying there weren't boos. It's just when I first started going it confused the hell out of me too when 'boos' were heard during the game. 

Actually I'm very surprised the rugby crowd are so patient with the situation, if Robinson were a football manager I would dread to think the abuse he would be getting, but no way would he have lasted that long I suppose. I like many others much more knowledgeable than myself was hugely surprised he got his contract renewed, big gamble and even bigger mistake. I think we should have gone for Mike Ford as he was available at the time, not sure what he is doing now or if he is an option?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedM said:

Ok, I'm not saying there weren't boos. It's just when I first started going it confused the hell out of me too when 'boos' were heard during the game. 

Actually I'm very surprised the rugby crowd are so patient with the situation, if Robinson were a football manager I would dread to think the abuse he would be getting, but no way would he have lasted that long I suppose. I like many others much more knowledgeable than myself was hugely surprised he got his contract renewed, big gamble and even bigger mistake. I think we should have gone for Mike Ford as he was available at the time, not sure what he is doing now or if he is an option?

Ford is off to Toulon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first ever live Rugby match yesterday, was about 12 of us so it was a good day and enjoyed the fan village, thought it was a better atmosphere in the village than football matches. For some friends it was their 1st New Ashton Gate visit and they were impressed.

The actual Rugby was awful, it's not for me and can't see me going again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 29AR said:

Apologies if already touched upon but the cards are really stacked against an upcoming championship team. Because they do not know they are promoted until after the playoffs they are so far behind in preparing to try to deal with the gulf. 

Not completely true, as well as the season before deals are done with certain players a long way before the end of the season and only come to fruition on promotion etc. 

As for yesterday Stringer is still a class act and it was his speed and reading of the game that kept Bristol on the back foot for long parts of the game. 

One sad thing about Bristol they have approximately 54 players in their squad, I'm not sure if any of them would get in any other premiership side! 

One thing that may save Bristol is London Irish are financially screwed at the moment and are not interested in going up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to the Bath game the week before (another free ticket courtesy of a friend) and felt quite confident off the back of that performance yesterday, even though we lost. But yesterday was shocking, embarrassing even. Sale were a pretty average team but played us off the park. We were second to every ball, every breakdown and just kicked aimlessly. There is no way in the world that I would pay the £30+ odd that it would cost to watch usually with the state of the team currently, just couldn't justify it but hopefully that changes. Real shame but it seems a complete overhaul is needed. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Ford is off to Toulon.

Damn. Well I said I didn't know much but at still the time I thought he might have been an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, phantom said:

Not completely true, as well as the season before deals are done with certain players a long way before the end of the season and only come to fruition on promotion etc. 

As for yesterday Stringer is still a class act and it was his speed and reading of the game that kept Bristol on the back foot for long parts of the game. 

One sad thing about Bristol they have approximately 54 players in their squad, I'm not sure if any of them would get in any other premiership side! 

One thing that may save Bristol is London Irish are financially screwed at the moment and are not interested in going up

Is this true??? A real glimmer of hope if they stick with that?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RedM said:

Damn. Well I said I didn't know much but at still the time I thought he might have been an option.

It's really the wrong time to be looking for a new head coach/director of rugby. In my view the change should have been made in the summer but perhaps they hadn't anyone lined up and decided to stick with AR. A pity that they didn't go for Lancaster before he went to Leinster, he might have been a good fit and a realistic appointment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This match was my (and the wife's) fourth and final attempt at getting "into" the rugby. What an awful waste of time and effort. Has anyone actually timed, the time that the ball is actually in play! 

This kicking the ball back to the opposition, when you've struggled to get hold of it in the first place, just don,t get it. The whole atmosphere around us was of resolve that Bristol would again get easily beaten, and that was from the opening minutes. Never again, sadly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, phantom said:

Not completely true, as well as the season before deals are done with certain players a long way before the end of the season and only come to fruition on promotion etc. 

 

Indeed, but they are largely few and far between and not the players that will typically get you competitive. The right players have their sights set higher than a Premiership-elect team; especially when Bristol were perpetual playoff losers. The right players to bridge the gulf certainly don't hold off and wait and see whilst other premiership teams are compiling their squads. Hence why Bristol in particular has become a retirement home.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Ashtonboy said:

This match was my (and the wife's) fourth and final attempt at getting "into" the rugby. What an awful waste of time and effort. Has anyone actually timed, the time that the ball is actually in play! 

This kicking the ball back to the opposition, when you've struggled to get hold of it in the first place, just don,t get it. The whole atmosphere around us was of resolve that Bristol would again get easily beaten, and that was from the opening minutes. Never again, sadly. 

I suspect you are not alone in feeling this way.  What I would say though, if things improve on the pitch in the next few years and you do have the opportunity to go for free, just give it another try. 

My introduction to football was during the Osman years - I could of easily not gone again back then.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Ashtonboy said:

This match was my (and the wife's) fourth and final attempt at getting "into" the rugby. What an awful waste of time and effort. Has anyone actually timed, the time that the ball is actually in play! 

This kicking the ball back to the opposition, when you've struggled to get hold of it in the first place, just don,t get it. The whole atmosphere around us was of resolve that Bristol would again get easily beaten, and that was from the opening minutes. Never again, sadly. 

That isn't really supposed to happen!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was totally bored as well, so many stoppages, kicking the ball from end to end to end to end..... etc... the best bit was the one man band after and then the young kiddie on the guitar - an interesting and very different day but would never pay to watch that!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was shocking but I think most football fans will find it a hard watch. After the clock had run down at the end of the first half it took 3 attempts and 5 minutes to complete a scrum just to get the ball into touch and for the players to take a break. Sums up rugby for me and is the reason I'm not a regular.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Interesting. Shades of our 2015 summer then? (without wanting to open that can of worms again!)

I very much felt like i was watching city under the last few months under Cotts. Little errors costing points, no confidence going forward. The crowd felt like they had just given up. I am surprised how tolerant the bristol fans were because if city were playing that badly the crowd would have been more on there back!! We sat near the dugouts and what i couldn't get over is the amount of non playing staff involved.  2 water attendants, a medic and physio for each team who looked like they wanted to go on at every opportunity, a bloke with a towel and a bloke with the kicking disc plus 2 blokes to keep track of the multiple substitutions. No wonder it was stop start all the time. The only thing i would take is the timing system. Why cant the same system be used in football where the ref stops the clock and it is clear for everyone.  Then once the time is up the next time the ball goes out of play, game over. What do people think?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Redsi2 said:

I very much felt like i was watching city under the last few months under Cotts. Little errors costing points, no confidence going forward. The crowd felt like they had just given up. I am surprised how tolerant the bristol fans were because if city were playing that badly the crowd would have been more on there back!! We sat near the dugouts and what i couldn't get over is the amount of non playing staff involved.  2 water attendants, a medic and physio for each team who looked like they wanted to go on at every opportunity, a bloke with a towel and a bloke with the kicking disc plus 2 blokes to keep track of the multiple substitutions. No wonder it was stop start all the time. The only thing i would take is the timing system. Why cant the same system be used in football where the ref stops the clock and it is clear for everyone.  Then once the time is up the next time the ball goes out of play, game over. What do people think?

I think it might work better in football that is does in rugby (ball actively in play for say 80 minutes). At the rugger I noticed that the clock ran down during the long "pauses" setting and retaking scrums, kicks etc. In fact I kept checking to try and find a time the clock was actually stopped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Redsi2 said:

I very much felt like i was watching city under the last few months under Cotts. Little errors costing points, no confidence going forward. The crowd felt like they had just given up. I am surprised how tolerant the bristol fans were because if city were playing that badly the crowd would have been more on there back!! We sat near the dugouts and what i couldn't get over is the amount of non playing staff involved.  2 water attendants, a medic and physio for each team who looked like they wanted to go on at every opportunity, a bloke with a towel and a bloke with the kicking disc plus 2 blokes to keep track of the multiple substitutions. No wonder it was stop start all the time. The only thing i would take is the timing system. Why cant the same system be used in football where the ref stops the clock and it is clear for everyone.  Then once the time is up the next time the ball goes out of play, game over. What do people think?

Interesting thought, but I wonder how long a 90 minute match would take if the game stopped when the ball was out of play?! It could be a long afternoon!

Anyone know how long your average 80 minute rugby match actually goes on for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, JBFC II said:

I've been going regularly this season and I have to say this was the worst performance of the season, we lacked any sort of commitment going forward and seemed to kick the ball away at every opportunity. I hoped we may win a game for once but it looks like we may do a London Welsh

My mate (a rugby fan who cant afford the tickets) came with me and he couldn't understand why they didn't run it more - every time they kicked it straight down the throat of the sale lot and allowed them to come forward.

they looked like a team with no belief and more than a little out of their depth. Sale effectively tore them a new arsehole at their liesure!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Interesting thought, but I wonder how long a 90 minute match would take if the game stopped when the ball was out of play?! It could be a long afternoon!

Anyone know how long your average 80 minute rugby match actually goes on for?

80 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Inevitable! You know what I mean.

Well you did ask for the average...

I would say for games with a fussy ref and easy access to  video replays you can end up with around an extra 10 minutes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Well you did ask for the average...

I would say for games with a fussy ref and easy access to  video replays you can end up with around an extra 10 minutes.

OK, not quite as much as I thought. I watch 6 nations and the TV reviews seem to be numerous and long! Be interesting to see what it would add to a football match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Red Homer said:

Last time that Bristol went up, if memory serves me correctly, didn't they have a similar start? I think that once the Autumn internationals, and then the 6 nations start, Bristol could start to climb the table, as most other teams will have lots of international players out

that is what I call an optimist! Robinson is a disgrace. Low point was when they lost Ellis Genge who was a south bristol lad destined for stardom who we left on the bench and went straight into the Leicester first team! Robinson make Odriscoll look like Fergy. Get rid of him now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Antman said:

My mate (a rugby fan who cant afford the tickets) came with me and he couldn't understand why they didn't run it more - every time they kicked it straight down the throat of the sale lot and allowed them to come forward.

they looked like a team with no belief and more than a little out of their depth. Sale effectively tore them a new arsehole at their liesure!

its been the same week in week out, we have players who can't kick trying to kick and failing, awful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 22:06, 29AR said:

Apologies if already touched upon but the cards are really stacked against an upcoming championship team. Because they do not know they are promoted until after the playoffs they are so far behind in preparing to try to deal with the gulf. Any player that's good enough is likely snapped up long before the playoffs are over and really are not holding out to see who gets promoted. The reason upcoming sides find it so difficult is because of this and the gulf in class. It really is nigh on impossible but for a few exceptions. The Aviva Premiership is a de facto closed shop. 

I also worry that if we go up we would also get slaughtered every week like Bristol it cant be much fun for the fans sometimes the journey is much better than the destination

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

But it takes about 90 minutes to play 80. Not as bad as American Football where a 60 minute lasts about 4 hours.

I never realized how slow a NFL game was until I started watching proper football. 2 minute warning means more like "only 15 minutes left"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/10/2016 at 20:18, Acton Red said:

that is what I call an optimist! Robinson is a disgrace. Low point was when they lost Ellis Genge who was a south bristol lad destined for stardom who we left on the bench and went straight into the Leicester first team! Robinson make Odriscoll look like Fergy. Get rid of him now!

Genge left for "personal reasons" as it goes. He probably is destined for big things. Just not in bristol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Genge left for "personal reasons" as it goes. He probably is destined for big things. Just not in bristol. 

Yes he personally fell out with Robinson. Bristol's loss for sure. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

But it takes about 90 minutes to play 80. Not as bad as American Football where a 60 minute lasts about 4 hours.

For a reason that I can't figure out I absolutely love NFL but despite watching many rugby games over the past 20 years I just can't into it. I keep trying but I just find it Impossible. 

I don't mind the breaks in NFL, you get a couple of seconds on really intense play and then a couple of minutes to analyse that play.

Even with the big screen at Ashton Gate I was struggling to see what was going on. Couldn't for the life of me see where the ball was during the scrums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Evil Post reported yesterday that new signings are afoot. Also rumours of ex-Boks head coach Heyneke Meyer coming in. 

Problem with that sentance is the first three words !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Up The City! said:

For a reason that I can't figure out I absolutely love NFL but despite watching many rugby games over the past 20 years I just can't into it. I keep trying but I just find it Impossible. 

I don't mind the breaks in NFL, you get a couple of seconds on really intense play and then a couple of minutes to analyse that play.

Even with the big screen at Ashton Gate I was struggling to see what was going on. Couldn't for the life of me see where the ball was during the scrums.

Watch the other code. league is pretty much superior in every way.

No line outs, the odd scrum, but as it is head and feed it just ties up the forwards for a while. no pointless kicking. Atmosphere like football, terraces with beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark Tainton appointed acting head coach

http://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/tainton-appointed-as-acting-head-coach/

yes, I will move it to the non footie forum in a while, but it is Bristol Sport related if nothing else. I just thought more people would like to hear the news first on here as they might not see it on non footie.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ANDY Robinson is on the verge of leaving Bristol Rugby after almost four years, having been suspended by the club.

The director of rugby, whose team have lost all nine matches they have played this season, has two and a half seasons remaining on the three-year contract he signed during the summer.

Bristol, though, have decided to act with the team seven points adrift at the bottom of the table after seven Aviva Premiership matches.

Robinson had been at the club as usual this week, taking a lengthy video analysis session of Sunday's 31-13 home defeat against Sale on Tuesday morning.

But he has been told to stay away from the club pending "an immediate review of the coaching needs and requirements".

In the meantime, Bristol have appointed Mark Tainton as acting head coach.

The club's former fly-half and all-time leading points scorer, Tainton has a variety of experience in coaching from his spells with Ireland, Wasps and London Irish.

In a statement, the club said: "Bristol Rugby have decided, following the extremely disappointing start to the season, to appoint Mark Tainton as acting head coach with immediate effect.

"The club have also taken the decision to suspend the current director of rugby, Andy Robinson, from his role. The club will carry out an immediate review of their coaching needs and requirements.

"That review will be completed as quickly as possible."

Club chairman Chris Booy, who opted against publicly backing Robinson when he spoke to the Post earlier this week, said: "This is clearly a very difficult time for the club, but we remain confident we can retain our position in the Premiership.

"The support for the club this season has been outstanding and that continued backing is very important going forward. Thank you."

Robinson joined Bristol toward the end of the 2012-13 season – and, after losing in the GKIPA Championship finals in both 2013-14 and 2014-15, finally guided them to the top flight at the end of last season.

But their return to the Premiership after seven years has been nothing short of a nightmare so far. They pushed Harlequins close in the opening game of the season, leading 14-3 before losing 21-19, but have taken only one point since – in a 19-14 loss at Newcastle.

Their home form has been alarmingly poor, losing all five Premiership and European Challenge Cup matches without taking so much as a single bonus point.

If – or, more likely, when – Robinson departs the club, Bristol will look for a big-name replacement, with Heyneke Meyer and Gary Gold among those who are both availableand have experience of the Premiership.


Read more at http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/andy-robinson-on-the-brink-at-bristol-rugby-after-being-suspended-by-club/story-29865405-detail/story.html#kQvzCV8CH4jLRYb7.99

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...