Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Barrs Court Red

All things Bristol Bears (Merged)

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Didn't mean that (didn't even notice)...Just a comment on them -Bristol- having won a game against the odds as RedM pointed out!

Internet should stay open.

Wasn't a  dig at you . It was one at me ( and the forum spelling police  )

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Doozerchris said:

Wasn't a  dig at you . It was one at me ( and the forum spelling police  )

Cool. Shows how things can get misconstrued on here...For the record you're spelling is fine! :shifty:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dollymarie aIf you like Varndell you should check out his 2 minute interview he gave today - I found it on the Bristol rugby twitter.

I am as straight as they come but those arms get your mind wandering !! :blink:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Neo said:

@Dollymarie aIf you like Varndell you should check out his 2 minute interview he gave today - I found it on the Bristol rugby twitter.

I am as straight as they come but those arms get your mind wandering !! :blink:

@Dollymarie and I have already had a discussion about him. I don't know first she eyes up Flinty after I saw him first now she's noticed Mr Varndell. I can about accept that, now luckily for me she didn't get to see Tovey play today (where were you Jack :sad26:) If she sets her sights on him there's going to be trouble!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went with my grandson because it was Boxing Day and too far to wolves -bit weird the whole thing - atmosphere good but i find it quite weird that people are so enthusiastic about a complete embarrassment of a  team - if the city were in their position the atmosphere would be toxic. For the city of Bristol and because they were robbed by the blue and white quarter I hope they stay up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, RedM said:

I'm not saying our footballers haven't got fight in them but if I was Lee Johnson I would be sitting them down on Monday to watch the video of this game. Whether they understand rugby or not is irrelevant, they can see how to grind out a win when everything, and I mean everything, is against you. The true meaning of teamwork. 

For those who don't know Bristol had a player sent off, red carded not just sin binned after only 13 (?)minutes, that decision alone was harsh. Rugby is almost impossible to play a man down for that length of time. The Ref seemed to be awarding everything he could against us as often as he could. 

Unlike City Bristol were never behind in the game, but Worcester clawed back points and were only one point behind and we had to go again. If we had let them overtake us we would have collapsed, physically and mentally we had to hold on and play for each other, each man doing his work and more. They gave their all. 

The fooball team need to get some of this mental belief and sharpen up physically too. We need to be a yard infront on both counts. Whether that's different preparation, training or whatever. Are they having motivational speaker sessions with people who are able to reach them? Maybe they should see if they can take anything from the rugby guys?

Are we talking about the side that didn't win a game until today and are rock bottom,let's hope our football team are not watching tapes of them with all due respect 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, red84 said:

Great atmosphere down there, helped along by the pantomime villain who was Wayne Barnes!

It was '5hit or bust' for Bris today, a loss would have meant more than probable relegation hence the improved atmosphere. Compare that to one of our play off games and it was nowhere near the atmosphere we generate at a similarly important match.

Good as it was today, the last 2 rugby games I have been down to, both Sale games, have had such a depressing atmosphere, really, really bad. It was better today but it was a 'must win' game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RedM said:

@Dollymarie and I have already had a discussion about him. I don't know first she eyes up Flinty after I saw him first now she's noticed Mr Varndell. I can about accept that, now luckily for me she didn't get to see Tovey play today (where were you Jack :sad26:) If she sets her sights on him there's going to be trouble!!!

You're safe with Tovey, I just googled him. He's ginger so you can keep him thanks. :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Neo said:

@Dollymarie aIf you like Varndell you should check out his 2 minute interview he gave today - I found it on the Bristol rugby twitter.

I am as straight as they come but those arms get your mind wandering !! :blink:

I just watched it. It's a good job I'm already in bed so am laying down :wub: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First game of Rugby since Jnr school, first club game and first at the Gate. Really enjoyed it, beer in my seat, upper Lansdown brilliant view, tables in the concourse, I would change my ST seat in a heartbeat. Thought they played well, just to keep things sane I thought the Ref was poor even though I don't get the rules.... sorry , Laws. Good atmosphere and I thought the announcer got the ground going well.  There is a very good chance I will go back, and if they carry on like that they will stay up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing that was a bit cringe (and sorry but reminded me of when I've been to the mammary ground to watch us v them) was the announcer shouting at the different stands to make some noise. Sorry just seemed very contrived and unneeded. Or is it a rugby thing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedM said:

In the Premiership, yes. They have won a couple of cup games against a French (?) side. Yes it's their first win, but they have been mirroring the football, ie largely playing ok but ultimately being beaten. 

Since Robinson was sacked anyway- when he was in charge we took some real beatings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Doozerchris said:

This is there first win of the season right.?

And most Probaly there last win of the season, due to all the international players returning to there clubs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Spoons said:

And most Probaly there last win of the season, due to all the international players returning to there clubs.

That will certainly be the proof in the pudding! Bristol just need to get wins against those around them. Having lost to Sale was a bad result, especially because Bristol threw it away in the first half. It was always going to be a tough return to the top flight, but Bristol Rugby's own John Pemberton (Mark Tainton) seems to have galvanised the team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

The only thing that was a bit cringe (and sorry but reminded me of when I've been to the mammary ground to watch us v them) was the announcer shouting at the different stands to make some noise. Sorry just seemed very contrived and unneeded. Or is it a rugby thing? 

Usually only plastic teams like Saffacens or LIrish. Proper teams like Bristol have no business entertaining that nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Few things that struck me from yesterday.  

Some of the food outlets were different, never seen a healthy option food wagon when we're home. Cowshed BBQ is a step up in quality as well, though there did seem to be one less Thatchers bus.

Top tier view is brilliant, there are tables there , the plastic glasses are better quality and branded. Does this happen when we have the top open?  

I did wonder why the top tier was open with large empty spaces in the other stands, I guess it was just for Boxing day as it's not open every game.

The fan park was rammed, as was the Coopers, but somehow the surrounding areas were less busy than on a football matchday.

All in all an enjoyable day, £37 not cheap but I won't be going too often so OK.  Very different atmosphere, but that could partly be down to me not caring quite so much. It does give me an option for when the Brother in Law comes down next, one of us should be home so we can get out for a few.

 

pint.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Are we talking about the side that didn't win a game until today and are rock bottom,let's hope our football team are not watching tapes of them with all due respect 

The way I read the posts was that the Football team could take a leaf out of the rugby teams spirit and determination 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Are we talking about the side that didn't win a game until today and are rock bottom,let's hope our football team are not watching tapes of them with all due respect 

You clearly didn't understand my point, maybe that's more me than you but some others have grasped what I intended to highlight, with all due respect to you too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another win! Cracking fight back from being 15-0 down.. and by heck they needed that with Worcester seemingly winning as well.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooh that was tense, great win. Willing on Worcester to lose now, what the hell are Harlequins doing???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RedM said:

Ooh that was tense, great win. Willing on Worcester to lose now, what the hell are Harlequins doing???

Think they went on lash last night 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Super said:

Will do wonders for confidence plus drags sale into it now.

Sale are on a run similar to City at the moment, can't buy a win. They played alright and will certainly feel they should have seen the game out but are clearly lacking in confidence. 

Worcester winning was a bummer but it might actually give Bristol a bit of confidence that they too could beat Quins when they come to AG. Certainly a few of the home games look very winnable, though other than the Worcester game it's difficult to see us getting anything much away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Sale are on a run similar to City at the moment, can't buy a win. They played alright and will certainly feel they should have seen the game out but are clearly lacking in confidence. 

Worcester winning was a bummer but it might actually give Bristol a bit of confidence that they too could beat Quins when they come to AG. Certainly a few of the home games look very winnable, though other than the Worcester game it's difficult to see us getting anything much away. 

Losing bonus points away from home keeps things ticking over however 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great win today, listened in on the radio.

I would suggest that Harlequins, Newcaste and Gloucester even- they all seem beatable at Ashton Gate, maybe losing bonus point v Bath the derby factor, Worcester away maybe get something there...survival is definitely quite possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Massive win for Newcastle v. Barf last night. Bath lost 3 on the spin and are our next opponents at AG in the cup next Friday (the 13th!) 

Lets hope we can get something against Saints this afternoon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Northampton utterly outclassed Bristol earlier in the season, although that being said, it's almost like watching a different team under Tainten.

Losing bonus point today would be good, and just hope Wuss don't win at Glos - it's now very much a shootout between us now

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Disappointing not to get the win but a LBP was the minimum expected. Onto Friday and a break from the league. 

Didn't realise it was a month long break!

Bristol host Quins next in the league with Worcester hosting Saracens, so on paper a good opportunity to finally draw level with Worcester at the very least if not overtake them. Got to keep the momentum going

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Didn't realise it was a month long break!

Bristol host Quins next in the league with Worcester hosting Saracens, so on paper a good opportunity to finally draw level with Worcester at the very least if not overtake them. Got to keep the momentum going

Yup. Looking forward to Friday now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Month long break is probably useful- Woodward took a huge hit towards the end so could possibly be out.

I think Bris will find it tough v Quinn's, who had a good win against Sale that probably assured safety.  A win and not only could they go a couple of points clear of Wuss, it could also really put pressure on Sale.

So 4 huge Friday night games in the next 3 months - Bath Friday (Euro) Quinn's early Feb, Bath end of Feb and Glos end of March.

Edited by Barrs Court Red
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Month long break is probably useful- Woodward took a huge hit towards the end so could possibly be out.

I think Bris will find it tough v Quinn's, who had a good win against Sale that probably assured safety.  A win and not only could they go a couple of points clear of Wuss, it could also really put pressure on Sale.

So 4 huge Friday night games in the next 3 months - Bath Friday (Euro) Quinn's early Feb, Bath end of Feb and Glos end of March.

Read something that suggests there's mandatory "time off" from playing if you have been concussed. Luckily, as you say, a decent break from the league gives plenty of time, hopefully, to recover. Maybe even Gav will be fit by then and might even feature in one or two of these cup games!? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading the comments above its made me change my mind a little, I was feeling frustrated we don't have a league game for a month just when we were finding a bit of form, but maybe it could be a good thing. We have a new player arriving don't we, gives us time to bed him in. Also Gav maybe back in the next few weeks, but Woodward has been kicking everything so not so urgent now. 

Im feeling a bit gutted, no a lot gutted, I'm in Newcastle when we play Bath in the league, but will be going on Friday for the Cup match so that will have to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Gotta feel for the staff at Ashton Gate, got the Bath game and then back in early the next day for the Cardiff early kick off.

I guess they will be working though the night on that one. Yes originally it was football at 3pm on Saturday followed by rugby 24 hours later. Now TV schedules and road closures (!) leave a much smaller turnaround with rugby first, the perfect storm..even without the predicted weather. I have great faith in our groundstaff though, they do a great job.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, RedM said:

I guess they will be working though the night on that one. Yes originally it was football at 3pm on Saturday followed by rugby 24 hours later. Now TV schedules and road closures (!) leave a much smaller turnaround with rugby first, the perfect storm..even without the predicted weather. I have great faith in our groundstaff though, they do a great job.

What are the road closures for Saturday? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

What are the road closures for Saturday? 

It's Winterstoke road isn't it, for the metrobus roadworks. They have been closing the road early evening after matches to do work, but amazingly they can't wait until after a 3 o'clock kick off finishes this weekend so moved the match 12pm KO...its just pure coincidence we are playing Cardiff, apparently! The road then can be closed earlier, don't think it's shut before match, but don't quote me on that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for Bristol to have a few weeks break from the league, a win on Friday v Bath would be massive for confidence and with Woodward looking like he might be out its good they don't have a premiership game on the weekend

 

Quins will be a must win game imo, they've lost every away game this season and will be without their England internationals, and with Worcester playing sarries it will be a massive opportunity to overtake them

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Good for Bristol to have a few weeks break from the league, a win on Friday v Bath would be massive for confidence and with Woodward looking like he might be out its good they don't have a premiership game on the weekend

 

Quins will be a must win game imo, they've lost every away game this season and will be without their England internationals, and with Worcester playing sarries it will be a massive opportunity to overtake them

I think it's a winnable game- as is Gloucester arguably, Newcastle also and Worcester away. Maybe Bath at home as is local derby factor but failing that the odd losing bonus point as happened Saturday will keep us on track, think we may even finish 10th.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...