IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Absolutely awful first half, so many mistakes, no ideas, awful referee, really poor overall 

Embarrassing beyond belief, Bristol playing like a bunch of pussies, defence, handling and decision making is awful, they look as though they thought that they only needed to turn up, very lucky to still be in touch with them.

• Like 1

Probably the most undeserved win I've seen in a rugby game for a while, Bristol were pathetic first half after the try and despite improving slightly in the 2nd there were still tonnes of errors that have to be ironed out if we want to win the league, hopefully it's because it's the first game of the season but improvements are definitely needed 

Two words?

Extremely unconvincing.

We got lucky, not one bit of doubt. When Hartbury great position to get a try they knocked on. Plus they missed a conversion that just lacked the power- after their first try.

These happened at key moments. Can understand a slow start v a seasoned Championship side...different style of play etc.

However...this is a ******* college side we scraped by against??

14 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Probably the most undeserved win I've seen in a rugby game for a while, Bristol were pathetic first half after the try and despite improving slightly in the 2nd there were still tonnes of errors that have to be ironed out if we want to win the league, hopefully it's because it's the first game of the season but improvements are definitely needed 

Also (not that I'm a rugby fan by any means) you don't know how good Hartpury are, they might be a surprise package !

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Also (not that I'm a rugby fan by any means) you don't know how good Hartpury are, they might be a surprise package !

Harbury played excellently and on that basis could get top 4 but they have just been promoted from a part time league whereas Bristol have a wage bill of 6.5 million a year.... 

• Like 1

I thought I would take a look on here and see what you all thought about today's game, well it looks like pretty much the same as me. No flow to the game, I think they did a number on us perhaps? They set up to disrupt our play and it was their 'cup final' type of game, and to be fair with the help of the ref I thought for a while it might be their day. 

We got to be a hell of a lot quicker, sharper and have a better game plan than that. It was the rugby equilivelent of the Millwall game. Yesterday I was sat in the warm sunshine watching a quilte entertaining game of football at QPR, today I was cold, wet and bored at AG. Hartpury seemed to have a load of fans there today in the 7400 ish crowd, take them away and the fan base looks very sparse and at those prices I can understand why. 

Alarm bells ringing already. Hartpury are semi pro and only train 3 morning's a week and it was two tries each today. Only the boot of Madigan won it for Bristol. 

Same story as has been the case for many years Bristol just make way too many errors. Handling errors, giving away penalties etc  Pat Lam I hope is under no illusions as to the size of task that lies ahead after that today.

I'm fairness,  I think I read that Hartpury were unbeaten in league competition for the last 2 years prior today. So they have a winning mentality whereas Bristol are very much used to losing.

Tough game at Cornish Pirates next weekend now. We need to keep finding ways to win whilst the squad gels.

4 hours ago, RedM said:

I thought I would take a look on here and see what you all thought about today's game, well it looks like pretty much the same as me. No flow to the game, I think they did a number on us perhaps? They set up to disrupt our play and it was their 'cup final' type of game, and to be fair with the help of the ref I thought for a while it might be their day. 

We got to be a hell of a lot quicker, sharper and have a better game plan than that. It was the rugby equilivelent of the Millwall game. Yesterday I was sat in the warm sunshine watching a quilte entertaining game of football at QPR, today I was cold, wet and bored at AG. Hartpury seemed to have a load of fans there today in the 7400 ish crowd, take them away and the fan base looks very sparse and at those prices I can understand why. 

I was amazed there was THAT many.......watched a bit on the box (to see how our pitch held up), it looked empty!' How small must the Minimal be when a Sag sized crowd looks lost at AG ?

Not the start to the season most people expected! Most games will see us having to cope with the other side having a "cup final" mentality but that's no excuse. Poor kicking, sloppy interplay and awful lineouts made it a poor spectacle. Definitely need to gel together as a team more and quickly otherwise confidence will spiral downwards. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I was amazed there was THAT many.......watched a bit on the box (to see how our pitch held up), it looked empty!' How small must the Minimal be when a Sag sized crowd looks lost at AG ?

Exactly what we said about teams like the Gas playing football to that sized crowd week in week out. I was sat corner of South Stand and Lansdown so couldn't see how full Lansdown was or what corporate boxes were being used but we had a whole row to ourselves and the one behind was empty. The Heinekein Lounge wasn't being used and at least one block of turnstiles were not open at the Winterstoke Road enterance. 

These photos were taken before the end of the game

20170903_164222.jpg

20170903_164228.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

A lot of Gloucester's younger players do go there but to say they are their B side is a bit harsh imo

Harsh on who? Am a bit confused.

I was led to believe that this was like the Wild Geese being the B side of London Irish ?

Hartbury train with Gloucester though?

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

Harsh on who? Am a bit confused.

I was led to believe that this was like the Wild Geese being the B side of London Irish ?

Hartbury train with Gloucester though?

They have some Gloucester youth players playing for them but they are a club in their own right, they had 4 ex Bristol players, none of whom are from Gloucester playing for them yesterday for instance

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Lucky to come away with the full haul of 5pts. Don't think the weather helped by the sounds of it mind. Need a big improvement from the pack by the sounds of it.  

We need cortes and tuohy to come back asap, the scrum has been a big problem in the first two games, the back 3 look excellent though,  Luatua was outstanding Saturday 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Good win for Bristol today, 50-5 against Richmond with Max Crumpton scoring 4

Good win yes, but Bristol really had to work for it. Only in the latter part of the 2nd half did Bristol get a grip on the game. For long periods neither side looked like scoring. The game was a lot closer than the scoreline reads, seems an odd statement for such a one sided scoreline but one sided it wasn't. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RedM said:

Good win yes, but Bristol really had to work for it. Only in the latter part of the 2nd half did Bristol get a grip on the game. For long periods neither side looked like scoring. The game was a lot closer than the scoreline reads, seems an odd statement for such a one sided scoreline but one sided it wasn't. 

Do you go to all the games M?

Let’s not underestimate how important this weekend’s game is mind. It’s not turning out as Chris Booy thought it would!

with the score at 0-0 about 5 mins before the break on Sunday I was worried. A good 2nd half though for another BP win. Some tough games on the horizon with Bedford and Ealing up soon