IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

4 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I suppose it is a bit unreasonable to expect rugby fans to use two syllables. 

I think 99% of Bristolians would agree that Bris is short for Brislington. 

I used to play in a 5 aside league which had a team in it called "Briz Hill", which amused me no end. :) 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

If the rugby club was still at their proper home they would still have played this game at AG, no doubts about that.

Yep.

Bristol v Bath was always played at AG  because it’s a huge local derby and attracted huge crowds - same as tomorrow.

Compulsory rugby at school for 5 years and now it's forced it's way onto OTIB.:doh:

Rather Bristol won, but not that bothered, and this is a FOOTBALL forum.

Come on @Dollymarie@El Hombrecito, move to non footy please.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Hellfire Corner said:

The full name for the sport is rugby football! So it’s not a non football topic.

Perhaps this should be renamed  "soccer chat"  , in order to avoid any confusion and for clear differentiation between the codes.

:whistle:     :D

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Compulsory rugby at school for 5 years and now it's forced it's way onto OTIB.:doh:

Rather Bristol won, but not that bothered, and this is a FOOTBALL forum.

Come on @Dollymarie@El Hombrecito, move to non footy please.

In fairness, it is a discussion about Bristol Rugby Football Club*... ?

But yes, it should probably be moved.

*Okay, Bristol Bears, but you get the point.

When Bristol Rugby came across town & snuggled up under Bristol Sport umberella, I was happy enough to welcome them in. I even wondered if I might develop a new found interest in the game of Rugby. 

It transpires that whilst it doesn’t bother me that they play at Ashton Gate, the more events the better, imo, and I find I hear the results and hope that Bristol win, I couldn’t really care less, I find the Rugby supporters to generally be obnoxious tossers and the game in general is shite to watch and outside of international matches, is utterly uninspiring. 

Oh, any anyone who refers to Bristol as “Bris” needs a slap..!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

When Bristol Rugby came across town & snuggled up under Bristol Sport umberella, I was happy enough to welcome them in. I even wondered if I might develop a new found interest in the game of Rugby. 

It transpires that whilst it doesn’t bother me that they play at Ashton Gate, the more events the better, imo, and I find I hear the results and hope that Bristol win, I couldn’t really care less, I find the Rugby supporters to generally be obnoxious tossers and the game in general is shite to watch and outside of international matches, is utterly uninspiring. 

There are some pretty large Bristol fans, a lot are ex-rugby players! 

16 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

What about that recent billboard campaign, "C'mon Bris"? 

That's worthy of two slaps. With a big fish. 

You could certainly belt out "Come on Bristol" from the stands, "C'mon Bris"? I just tried it, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't strike fear into the hearts of the opposition. 

All a bit limp wristed IMO. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Just found out that one of the Bristol players could be on £1 million a year! How many City players earn that?

Although that figure has since been stated to be incorrect. It works out at around 19k a week, I’d imagine there are a few city players on that sort of money

As a BCFC season ticket holder, I for one have never been to a rugby game but am going tomorrow purely bc it’s at Ashton Gate and a Marquee game. If it was the same game without being at AG or part of Bristol Sport I wouldn’t be attending. Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Southport Red said:

Having grown up in Midsomer Norton, would this be a bad time to say I'm a Bath fan and hope that the "Bristol Bears" (isn't that a nightclub?) get a rest good tanking tomorrow.

Never a bad time to say you're a Bath fan ?. Let's hope the Blue ,Black and Whites come out on top. That being said, I hope Bristol stay up as the derbys are great.

• Sad 1

It has to be said that selling out this game is a pretty remarkable achievement.  There are about 5,000 season ticket holders meaning 20,000 tickets have been sold.  Prices range between £25 and £42 for adults.  Add to this the beer and food sales which are going to be more than a football match then it's probably a bigger money spinner than the Man U and Man CIty games.  Only difference there is I suspect the TV money is less.   

1 hour ago, North Somerset Red said:

Never a bad time to say you're a Bath fan ?. Let's hope the Blue ,Black and Whites come out on top. That being said, I hope Bristol stay up as the derbys are great.

It's always a bad time to admit something to be ashamed of...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CTRed said:

As a BCFC season ticket holder, I for one have never been to a rugby game but am going tomorrow purely bc it’s at Ashton Gate and a Marquee game. If it was the same game without being at AG or part of Bristol Sport I wouldn’t be attending. Looking forward to it.

It’s very, very different. I’m 2 seasons in and been to nearly every home game and I’m still staggered at the differences. Actually it was The Bristol v Bath game that was pretty much the only game I missed during that time, and that was only because I was still up in Newcastle after watching us play. 

Main differences: fans aren’t segregated at all. Hardly any singing except for ‘Bristol, Bristol’ now and again.

Fans are up and out from their seats only to get more cider and go to the toilet, this is constant during the match. Rarely do they jump to their feet for anything else, eg scoring.

In fact I have found that rugby fans don’t seem to concentrate on the match like football fans do, they are chatting and drinking and most of the time the match just seems to be going on in the background. Very different from my football experience where each players every move is willed on or groaned at (sometimes in sympathy and sometimes in frustration). There is a lot less clapping players efforts and jumping to your feet at key moments.

There is total silence when a try is being converted, that applys for both teams as unlike football you don’t try to intimidate the opposition. 

Hopefully some of the edgyness of a football derby will happen tonight, as if fans don’t get to their feet during a Bristol v Bath rugby match they never will. I do like rugby, but i will never feel the same passion for it as football, it’s just so different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
10 hours ago, The Bard said:

It has to be said that selling out this game is a pretty remarkable achievement.  There are about 5,000 season ticket holders meaning 20,000 tickets have been sold.  Prices range between £25 and £42 for adults.  Add to this the beer and food sales which are going to be more than a football match then it's probably a bigger money spinner than the Man U and Man CIty games.  Only difference there is I suspect the TV money is less.   

Not sure it is

There is a lot of rugby interest around the region, having the big local derby on a Friday night when there is nothing else on also helps

They will struggle with the upcoming Saturday fixtures as a lot of Bristol's support comes from combination players and members - sadly the hierarchy at AG8 have failed to pick up on this

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Bard said:

Over 6,000 season ticket holders.