IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

6 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Have to disagree with you about the bonus points, Es. I think they've been fantastic for the game. Particularly the try BP which has had a very positive effect on the sport.

Theoretically (not at al likely) a team could lose every game and stay up, I think it's mad but hey what do I know.

14 hours ago, Tomarse said:

But they heavily favour the established teams - new teams are likely to win games by a far narrower margin thus the losing team still gets points which ultimately makes life harder for the likes of Worcester and Bristol. 

In the modern game you have to play attacking rugby and score tries or pay the price. I'm all for a 9-6 arm wrestle but I believe that the game is far more expansive since the introduction of the bonus points which surely has to be a good thing. I'm not particularly interested in watching kicking pong, and I believe that most teams in Europe have been forced to give a lot more thought to attack as well as defence which I can only see as a positive. The losing BP also encourages teams who don't have time to take the win or draw to keep going because they can still take at least a point. If there weren't so many Premiership clubs violating the salary cap it would be a far more level playing field.

12 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Theoretically (not at al likely) a team could lose every game and stay up, I think it's mad but hey what do I know.

I don't know if there is some provision for this (as you say unlikely) scenario but I do know that in the Six Nations they provide the Grand Slam winners with three bonus points for winning all their matches to ensure that they don't miss out on the title to another team who racked up a ton of bonus points. I don't doubt that you know as much as me, we simply have different opinions.

Does anyone know why Smith was red carded for Bristol? I haven't been able to find a clip. In other news, did anyone see Bastardeaud's "clearout" whilst playing for RCT at the weekend? Surely a long ban incoming given his long list of previous:

33 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

In the modern game you have to play attacking rugby and score tries or pay the price. I'm all for a 9-6 arm wrestle but I believe that the game is far more expansive since the introduction of the bonus points which surely has to be a good thing. I'm not particularly interested in watching kicking pong, and I believe that most teams in Europe have been forced to give a lot more thought to attack as well as defence which I can only see as a positive. The losing BP also encourages teams who don't have time to take the win or draw to keep going because they can still take at least a point. If there weren't so many Premiership clubs violating the salary cap it would be a far more level playing field.

I don't know if there is some provision for this (as you say unlikely) scenario but I do know that in the Six Nations they provide the Grand Slam winners with three bonus points for winning all their matches to ensure that they don't miss out on the title to another team who racked up a ton of bonus points. I don't doubt that you know as much as me, we simply have different opinions.

Does anyone know why Smith was red carded for Bristol? I haven't been able to find a clip. In other news, did anyone see Bastardeaud's "clearout" whilst playing for RCT at the weekend? Surely a long ban incoming given his long list of previous:

Shoulder to head tackle, but IMO the Sarries player ducked his head as the tackle was coming in, it was accidental.

As for Bastardeaud it was a typical cowardly French assault, should be a minimum of a 6 week ban.

• Admin
4 hours ago, internetjef said:

Hello all. I see that city season ticket holders can get a free ticket for Bristol v Northampton match coming up.

i am not around that weekend.

does anyone know If there will be other opportunities to attend an alternative game for free later in the season, or is this the only game it will he valid for?

I've had a look around the various Bristol sport sites and doesn't state either way, best bet is whether @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO can ask the question 

9 hours ago, phantom said:

I've had a look around the various Bristol sport sites and doesn't state either way, best bet is whether @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO can ask the question 

Morning @phantom @internetjef

The the best thing to do is ask supporter services as they manage ticketing on behalf of both the football club and Bristol Bears. 

You can contact supporter services on 0117 963 0600 or supporterservices@bristol-sport.co.uk

Matt

• Thanks 1

• Admin
3 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Springbok international Zane Kirchner will join Bristol Bears on a one-month loan deal from Pro14 side Dragons with immediate effect.

Kirchner, who can operate at full back, wing or centre, has played 31 times for his country and joins as short-term injury cover for Charles Piutau (shoulder), Luke Daniels (hamstring) and Matt Protheroe (knee).

The 34-year-old joined Dragons from European champions Leinster in 2017 and has previously played for the Bulls in Super Rugby and the Blue Bulls in the Currie Cup.

gettyimages-493568860.jpg?width=1280

“With three of our first team fullbacks recovering from injury, it was important to add a player of Zane’s ability and international experience on a short-term basis as we prepare for the tough challenges ahead."

Pat Lam, head coach

“With three of our first team fullbacks recovering from injury, it was important to add a player of Zane’s ability and international experience on a short-term basis as we prepare for the tough challenges ahead,” said head coach Pat Lam.

“Zane has played for some of the top clubs in world rugby and will slot in quickly. We’re grateful to Bernard [Jackman] and Dragons for their co-operation in the process.”

56 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

I noticed when getting my free tickets for the Saints game, the "BCFC Comp" option only showed up when looking at the South Stand. Previously I'd been able to get them for the (obviously more expensive) West Stand. Maybe they've started restricting the free tickets to the same stand the City season ticket is in? 

Should also be available in the Dolman wings... "seats will only be made available in the South and Dolman Stand wings, and all tickets must be claimed by Friday, September 28th at 5pm."

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/watch-premiership-rugby-for-free-in-bs3/

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

Should also be available in the Dolman wings... "seats will only be made available in the South and Dolman Stand wings, and all tickets must be claimed by Friday, September 28th at 5pm."

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/watch-premiership-rugby-for-free-in-bs3/

Amazing what you can find out by actually reading the whole article. ?

Ah well, got my tickets in the South Stand now! 

• Haha 2

On 11/09/2018 at 16:22, internetjef said:

Hello all. I see that city season ticket holders can get a free ticket for Bristol v Northampton match coming up.

i am not around that weekend.

does anyone know If there will be other opportunities to attend an alternative game for free later in the season, or is this the only game it will he valid for?

Obviously I can’t be 100% sure, so don’t later rely on this, but in the past couple of years when this has been offere there has been at least one more match, maybe two to claim a ticket. ( Same with rugby fans being offered football) You can only get one free ticket per ST so if you use it for Northampton for example you cannot get another for the next match offered. They almost certainly won’t be for ‘big’ games, eg Glos, Exeter but a Prem game all the same. 

On 10/09/2018 at 11:35, MichaelRobartes said:

In the Sarries match Will Hurrell was on the receiving end of pretty much this exact thing whilst trapped in a ruck. Skelton was the culprit yet Sarries try stood and no citing or card. Weird.

Team's Up for Glos; 

first-team-line-up.jpg

Quite a few changes again. If we play like we did vs Sarries a win is on the cards.

Edited by Rinkadink

6 minutes ago, Rinkadink said:

In the Sarries match Will Hurrell was on the receiving end of pretty much this exact thing whilst trapped in a ruck. Skelton was the culprit yet Sarries try stood and no citing or card. Weird.

At first I thought that Smith's was a clear red card so I don't blame the ref/TMO for giving it. It was only the fourth or fifth time I saw all the various angles that I realised there was no contact with the head. I've seen the Skelton incident as well, he's a lucky boy if he's avoided a citing. Very similar to the Bastareau incident, as you say.

Looks like close to full strength for Bristol given available players? I think Glos fans should be quite excited by some of the players they've brought in over the summer. Should be a good game tonight.

• Admin

A little piece from Shedweb. . .

I have heard of Ursa Major,
Light years away, so far.
And Ursa Minor rings a bell,
Is it a Galaxy or Star?
I have searched on my computer
From 'Aardvark' to 'Zanzibar'
But can find no 'Ursa Bristol'
It's really quite bizarre.

I've been down the Avon Gorge
And up the Clifton Downs