IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

What a magnificent result. It is incredible what Pat Lam has done. Every player gives all he has got in every game. The whole squad believe in him and the Bears. And it shows. The contrast to our set up at City is stark to say the least. And it is not just about the big names the whole squad have raised their game.

21 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I wonder if Bristol do win the League, would SL feel that his rugby ambition has been fulfilled, and so turn his attention to getting City to the top flight. ?

Probably not HWNN. 'European Champions cup' wasn't it? 

With Pat Lam there, you wouldn't bet against Bris doing it, eventually, would you?

Edited by Ska Junkie

3 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

image.thumb.png.f86708b18030d8ca900d02c59a4c8696.png

Just like that. 

Simple.

Inflicted the biggest defeat on Exeter at home in FOUR years.

That’s like BCFC getting promoted and in the second season beating Liverpool at Anfield 4-0. :laugh:.

image.png

Bristol win the title and Gloucester get relegated.

Now, that would be funny !!

• Like 1

Absolutely brilliant performance.

The commitment and skill of the players is a joy to behold. Pat Lam and his background staff deserve a hell a lot of credit. When people talk about an ethos or culture at a club you're sometimes left struggling to grasp exactly what that actually is. With the Bears, however, it's clear to see what they're all about.

I only started going to watch the rugby for the social side of things when Bristol made the switch to AG. But as time went on became more and more interested in it.

I really, really don't like to say it, but I'm currently enjoying the rugby more than the football, and I think it's been like it for a while unfortunately.

Another sad thing being that the fans haven't been present in person to watch the Bears recent success. A shame for everyone connected with the club. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Is that your only comment on the Bristol performance,or do you think some time in the future Bristol could challenge the top Irish sides in Europe.?

I didn't realise that I was obliged to comment on the performance ?

I didn't see the whole game. I watched most of the first half and parts of the second. I usually watch the PRO14 or TOP14 so probably all of the other posters here would know a lot more about the Premiership than me.

The short answer to your question is yes. Bristol have already beaten Connacht in Galway which takes some doing. I think that they have quality players in most positions now and have certainly improved defensively in the last while.

Most teams have to take their lumps for a few years in Europe before qualifying for the knockout stages and maybe going on to win it. We'll have to see how they get on. I think that Leinster or Munster would have too much experience for Bristol at this stage, but we obviously won't know until they meet.

Long-term Bristol have a very good chance of being in contention to win a Heineken Cup if they keep Lam or hire a good replacement when he leaves. The Irish sides can't match the French and English levels of investment so there's no reason they can't beat us in the next while.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2021 at 08:02, ChubStixx said:

I really, really don't like to say it, but I'm currently enjoying the rugby more than the football, and I think it's been like it for a while unfortunately.

Yeah, you're not alone in that! It'll always be City first for me but bloody hell watching Bristol play is so much more enjoyable! 

• Like 1

On 09/01/2021 at 20:11, MichaelRobartes said:

Agreed. I don't like to see that.

Cited and faces a disciplinary panel tomorrow.  It was so extreme that I can’t say I blame them even though it will put us at a disadvantage if he’s banned. Hopefully a wrap on the knuckles and a fine.  

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Cited and faces a disciplinary panel tomorrow.  It was so extreme that I can’t say I blame them even though it will put us at a disadvantage if he’s banned. Hopefully a wrap on the knuckles and a fine.  

I think the fact he apologised almost immediately (on Social media) will have helped, hopefully. But will he be that big a miss?

7 minutes ago, RedM said:

I think the fact he apologised almost immediately (on Social media) will have helped, hopefully. But will he be that big a miss?

I wonder if there will be more of an example made because everyone could hear it - with normal crowd noise it might just have been a quiet word from the referee? Not that any referee should be spoken to like that?

6 minutes ago, RedM said:

Hadn’t seen that M, hopefully his contrition will help though.  Think he will be a pretty big miss for the European games yeah, if they go ahead of course.  Be good to have him for Bath as well to put the screw into Obano and show Stuart how it’s done! 

40 minutes ago, Midred said:

I wonder if there will be more of an example made because everyone could hear it - with normal crowd noise it might just have been a quiet word from the referee? Not that any referee should be spoken to like that?

It doesn’t bother me at all, but that was the clearest swearing I’ve ever heard at a rugby or football match on tv. The commentators are always apologising for ‘language’ but I rarely hear what they are appologing for, but Sinckler’s was loud and clear ?

Rugby seem far, far less tolerant of any abuse or backchatting to the Refs. Most of the Refs treat the players like they are in a PE lesson and they are the teacher. 

Maybe as Sinckler is an England International and an example as such they are making an example of him?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RedM said:

It doesn’t bother me at all, but that was the clearest swearing I’ve ever heard at a rugby or football match on tv. The commentators are always apologising for ‘language’ but I rarely hear what they are appologing for, but Sinckler’s was loud and clear ?

Rugby seem far, far less tolerant of any abuse or backchatting to the Refs. Most of the Refs treat the players like they are in a PE lesson and they are the teacher. 

Maybe as Sinckler is an England International and an example as such they are making an example of him?

Agree - in fact the constant apologising annoys me far more than the swearing. But this time it was pretty shocking from KS amd direct at the ref and deserves some sort of censure imho. Getting annoyed with the way refs are starting to be treated, and shouted / sworn at and it needs curtailing IMO. 

• Like 1

• Admin

What did he say, I didn't see the game as don't have access to BT Sport?

One thing I noticed on the games on Channel 4 a few weeks back was how much stick the players do give the ref, but suspect we couldn't hear it before because of crowd noise. It is not always as polite as made to believe

38 minutes ago, lenred said:

Agree - in fact the constant apologising annoys me far more than the swearing. But this time it was pretty shocking from KS amd direct at the ref and deserves some sort of censure imho. Getting annoyed with the way refs are starting to be treated, and shouted / sworn at and it needs curtailing IMO. 

Totally agree LR. We are seeing this creeping into the game a bit more now and we have to be careful in how it's dealt with. I don't want people to think that I'm only laying into Bristol or England players either. I was only complaining to my friends about a couple of the Munster players chatting back to the referee the other week against Clermont. There was also at least one Clermont player waving an imaginary card, which I'm sure nobody wants to see.

Dylan Hartley got an 11-week ban for calling Wayne Barnes a ******* cheat. Obviously more serious than what Sinckler said but I expect him to get a couple of weeks to cool off all the same. It's good that he's apologised but he needs to be very careful. It's not the first time he's lost his cool on the pitch. I don't really care about a bit of swearing being picked up on the mic but when it's directed at the officials then it's another thing entirely.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Totally agree LR. We are seeing this creeping into the game a bit more now and we have to be careful in how it's dealt with. I don't want people to think that I'm only laying into Bristol or England players either. I was only complaining to my friends about a couple of the Munster players chatting back to the referee the other week against Clermont. There was also at least one Clermont player waving an imaginary card, which I'm sure nobody wants to see.

Dylan Hartley got an 11-week ban for calling Wayne Barnes a ******* cheat. Obviously more serious than what Sinckler said but I expect him to get a couple of weeks to cool off all the same. It's good that he's apologised but he needs to be very careful. It's not the first time he's lost his cool on the pitch. I don't really care about a bit of swearing being picked up on the mic but when it's directed at the officials then it's another thing entirely.

Yep, Bristol, England, Lions, Bath, Ireland, Munster, Stade Francais, Dings, whoever - it needs to be stopped. Can’t believe Dickson didn’t do anything at the time - may have helped KS if he did! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phantom said:

What did he say, I didn't see the game as don't have access to BT Sport?

One thing I noticed on the games on Channel 4 a few weeks back was how much stick the players do give the ref, but suspect we couldn't hear it before because of crowd noise. It is not always as polite as made to believe

Basically this:

No excuses but it really was in the heat of the moment. Sinckler I think was on the floor or picking himself up after being on the end of a tackle which was at best clumsy and at worse dangerous. He screamed at the Ref immediately, if he had given himself even 5 seconds more he probably wouldn’t have. He seemed to be in shock and it just came out.

Sinckler has already apologised via social media for screaming “Are you fucking serious?” after Dickson ruled that a diving tackle by Luke Cowan-Dickie did not merit a yellow card for non-use of the arms. The tighthead, who was once a teammate of Dickson’s at Harlequins, did not receive a sanction at the time but has now been ordered to appear before an online disciplinary hearing on Tuesday evening.

On 09/01/2021 at 18:45, JBFC II said:

Best 80 minutes of rugby we've played since Pat took over, everything about that performance was class. 

That was pretty much a full strength Exeter side and we reduced them to 1 try (which wasn't grounded), awesome stuff. What's so exciting is the likes of Randall, Lloyd, O'conor, Joyce all stepping up for the biggest games and putting in MOTM performances. A lot is said about the big money players, but it's these lt who make us tick, and it's so good to see. 

Shout out to Yann Thomas as well, who shored up that side of the scrum and gave us the momentum we needed at the set piece to get the 2nd try

You’ve gone quiet on the football lately. People overreaching eh?

2 hours ago, Lenners said:

You’ve gone quiet on the football lately. People overreaching eh?

To be honest, I’m bored of it. I can’t remember the last time I wanted City, whereas every Bristol game this season has been enjoyable in its own way, even in defeat. 

Perhaps that will change, but for now, especially as we can’t go in person, Bristol have been much better lockdown entertainment 

• Like 2