IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

1 hour ago, Super said:

Missed it. Why are we being labelled cheats?

From what I could see, we needed to get someone on for a front row after a sin bin, however we tried to say we had no one fit. Leicester moaned like a bitch so we put Afoa on anyway. They then moaned even more when we did that. Didn't look great but **** it. We needed that home semi, and we need to improve alot......

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

Missed it. Why are we being labelled cheats?

All stemmed from what seemed some miscommunication within the Bristol coaches, or from the other end of the telescope, gamesmanship.

Last play of the match, Bristol collapse a scrum, near their line. Yellow card to a Bristol prop, Tigers choose to redo a five yard scrum on the penalty.

At that stage it would be an uncontested scrum. It looked like Tigers wanted a contested one and started moaning about Bristol could bring back on Afoa, who had been subbed earlier tactically. Ref looked at his notes and said yes, that the reason your coaches gave. Lam then got involved and said Afoa had been subbed because of an injury (which would have meant he could not come back on).

Much back and forth. In the end Afoa suddenly was fit and came back on. To add insult to injury Afoa then pretty much ‘won’ the resulting scrum, match over. Much handbags.

It was strictly speaking by the book. Ref had written down ‘tactical’ and that was that. It was not in fairness a great look Lam arguing Afoa was injured then him springing up and coming on (arguably when Lam realised Bristol would finish with 13 players).

Ironically Tigers seemed to get what they wanted...and it bit them in the arse.

My best interpretation of trying to follow it!

• Thanks 2

The main point is that whilst all this was transpiring, the rest of the scrum was able to recover which meant Leicester lost their dominance and Big Jon did the rest.  I thought it was world class gamesmanship from Pat and Big Jon. It took 6 minutes to do what we were always going to do.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, cityexile said:

All stemmed from what seemed some miscommunication within the Bristol coaches, or from the other end of the telescope, gamesmanship.

Last play of the match, Bristol collapse a scrum, near their line. Yellow card to a Bristol prop, Tigers choose to redo a five yard scrum on the penalty.

At that stage it would be an uncontested scrum. It looked like Tigers wanted a contested one and started moaning about Bristol could bring back on Afoa, who had been subbed earlier tactically. Ref looked at his notes and said yes, that the reason your coaches gave. Lam then got involved and said Afoa had been subbed because of an injury (which would have meant he could not come back on).

Much back and forth. In the end Afoa suddenly was fit and came back on. To add insult to injury Afoa then pretty much ‘won’ the resulting scrum, match over. Much handbags.

It was strictly speaking by the book. Ref had written down ‘tactical’ and that was that. It was not in fairness a great look Lam arguing Afoa was injured then him springing up and coming on (arguably when Lam realised Bristol would finish with 13 players).

Ironically Tigers seemed to get what they wanted...and it bit them in the arse.

My best interpretation of trying to follow it!

All correct but Lam didn't "get involved" as such, the ref went over to the dugout to ask him whether Afoa was taken off as a tactical sub or due to an injury. I don't understand why the ref did this as it gave Pat the opportunity to "muddy the waters" shall we say, and waste time to ensure the Bristol pack got its breathe back, which he did very effectively! 

If the notes given to the ref at HT said Afoa was taken off as a tactical sub then that should've been the end of the matter and none of what transpired would have happened.

I can see why Tigers fans are pissed, if it had happened to us we'd be livid. 

The unfortunate thing for Pat is that this was all filmed so we know he said Afoa was injured when it appears he wasn't. 

Definitely a bit of a knock to his reputation, but then did we ever really believe he was the Mr Nice guy he always portrays in interviews? To get to the top and win consistently you've gotta have a ruthless streak; now we've seen Pat's.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

All correct but Lam didn't "get involved" as such, the ref went over to the dugout to ask him whether Afoa was taken off as a tactical sub or due to an injury. I don't understand why the ref did this as it gave Pat the opportunity to "muddy the waters" shall we say, and waste time to ensure the Bristol pack got its breathe back, which he did very effectively! 

If the notes given to the ref at HT said Afoa was taken off as a tactical sub then that should've been the end of the matter and none of what transpired would have happened.

The unfortunate thing for Pat is that this was all filmed so we know he said Afoa was injured when it appears he wasn't. 

Definitely a bit of a knock to his reputation, but then did we ever really believe he was the Mr Nice guy he always portrays in interviews? To get to the top and win consistently you've gotta have a ruthless streak; now we've seen Pat's.

Well, he was injured, sort of, apparently....

From BBC:

On the late argument on the touchline: "John Afoa got injured a couple of weeks ago at the Gloucester game and was due back next week.

"On Thursday Kyle felt his hamstring tighten up and he failed a fitness test. We made a call to start John and then bring him off at half-time.

"At the end we had the yellow card. I thought John had come off as an injury [replacement], but it was down as tactical.

"The Leicester guys came in and started hammering us and accusing us of all sorts of things. John got annoyed with that, and said 'I'm going' and went and did it."

• Flames 1

58 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think the Ref went over to find out what the delay was. To restart the game we needed a player to be in the scrum and the Ref went over to find out why we hadn’t immediately had a player ready.

Pat said in the interview, words to the effect of, that Afoa was injured a couple of weeks ago and was only played due to Sincklers injury. He said he never ever takes Afoa off after 40 minutes but as he wasn’t fully fit he didn’t want him to be injured.

It seems we were preventing injury rather than him actually being  injured. So when Pat was asked he said he was injured but of course it had been recorded as tactical as it was in the strict letter of the law. The Ref was trying to talk to Pat who was being shouted down by Leicester  players and staff.

Afoa just sat there amused. The official word is that Afoa just said ‘bugger it, I’ll go back on’ and Pat was heard to say to the Ref that he would hold him responsible if Afoa was injured as a result of this. After the game Pat was insistent that he was looking after Afoa who then had to return to the pitch without being warmed up and was already carrying an injury.

Afoa then basically won the game for us in the scrum, screamed with joy at a Leicester player who then had a fight with him after the whistle. Hughes was pulling players off him as they all piled in and took a few hits himself.

@Kid in the RiotI think you probably know all this but I was just using your post to respond for those that have been asking.

• Thanks 1

Crazy end to a game we definitely didn't play at our best and were lucky to win 

Seriously though, I know Ellis is a Knowle boy but starting on Nathan Hughes is either an over abundance of confidence or reckless in the extreme and I'm thinking the latter. 

The guy who started punching Afoa at the final whistle should surely be cited too. Although, I wonder what JA said to him to get that kind of reaction

9 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

Crazy end to a game we definitely didn't play at our best and were lucky to win 

Seriously though, I know Ellis is a Knowle boy but starting on Nathan Hughes is either an over abundance of confidence or reckless in the extreme and I'm thinking the latter. 

The guy who started punching Afoa at the final whistle should surely be cited too. Although, I wonder what JA said to him to get that kind of reaction

I think it was Wigglesworth that Afoa bumped into celebrating in his face. 

• Like 1

I wonder what the pricing for the Semi Final will look like? An extra £10 per ticket from the current league game prices maybe? That would make the Dolman £50 which for a one off game might be the max people would pay? Or is that too much and they freeze the prices at the current level they've charged for Glaws/Oirish?

Either way, very much looking forward to it! 

18 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I wonder what the pricing for the Semi Final will look like? An extra £10 per ticket from the current league game prices maybe? That would make the Dolman £50 which for a one off game might be the max people would pay? Or is that too much and they freeze the prices at the current level they've charged for Glaws/Oirish?

Either way, very much looking forward to it! 

Freeze the prices hopefully, as it's already very expensive. Upper Lansdown was £50 so a tenner price rise you are looking at £60, which feels excessive.

I assume priority for tickets is for THIS season's ST holders as opposed to next seasons? If so, I'll have to wait for general sale and hope the 6,600 tickets haven't been snapped up.