IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

He joins at the end of the season so will be part of next season's budget. There's a wage bill cap (without looking it up £7M I think) in Rugby and over that they are allowed 2 marquis players (presumably Radrandra and Piatau).

I think AJ's contract was expiring at Sale (he's 31) and presumably Bristol offered more wages. It all has to fit into the salary cap#  so I would expect a few Bears to be leaving as well.

# Saracens paid some players in excess of the cap by means of "investing " in businesses set up for the players by their then owner and got relegated for it....so I doubt Bristol would be doing anything untoward.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

He joins at the end of the season so will be part of next season's budget. There's a wage bill cap (without looking it up £7M I think) in Rugby and over that they are allowed 2 marquis players (presumably Radrandra and Piatau).

I think AJ's contract was expiring at Sale (he's 31) and presumably Bristol offered more wages. It all has to fit into the salary cap#  so I would expect a few Bears to be leaving as well.

# Saracens paid some players in excess of the cap by means of "investing " in businesses set up for the players by their then owner and got relegated for it....so I doubt Bristol would be doing anything untoward.

A good summary.

It's also worth noting that Bristol didn't make any significant additions to the squad for this season and a few have left, which probably means there's a bit of room to manoeuvre with regards the salary cap.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

I don't follow rugby, and I don't understand the rules,but surely if Bristol bears sign a player,which they have just signed,there's a transfer fee involved, then why are Bristol City being told by SL there's no money available for transfers in January, someone explain?

No transfer fees in Rugby as far as I'm aware. Maybe if a player is still under contract elsewhere, there is a small agreement.

But the big difference between Championship and Premiership Rugby. In the rugby, all the Prem clubs have a fixed amount, somewhere about £5.5million that you are allowed to pay the squad. Approx 40/45 players. In addition there are two players, usually the highest paid top internationals, that are not counted for. Thus it £5.5million plus their two salaries.

In the Championship we have to not exceed a financial loss of £39million over three years. Includes transfer fees, players wages, and probably things like hotels for away matches, ground maintenance and anything else we spend on except the Academy.

It would appear that City are very close to a loss of an amount approaching £39 at end of this season. So unless we can sell one or two, we cannot bring any note in as it would take us over the limit in May or June whis is end of City's financial year.

@Redandproud

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Redandproud said:

I don't follow rugby, and I don't understand the rules,but surely if Bristol bears sign a player,which they have just signed,there's a transfer fee involved, then why are Bristol City being told by SL there's no money available for transfers in January, someone explain?

Very rarely is a fee paid in Rugby as it is included in the cap I believe.

Fees are rightly seen as a waste of money and there is an expectation that a player will see his contract out as a matter ot pride and personal integrity. 

• Like 1

FFP for us, and also Rugby is cheaper (salary cap) + there are very rarely transfer fees in rugby, players move when out of contract, the only exception I can think of (bearing in mind I don’t really ‘do’ rugby’ so there may be others) is George Ford moving early with a (relatively) small amount of compensation paid 

5 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

AFAIK players only usually move when out of contract, so the deal is for next season as the press release states. 

This continual Rugby v. Football thing is getting really boring now. Different sports. Different spending rules. Different class. 

Decent post until the last two words - they are incorrect ...