IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

As I've said many times, I know nothing about egg chasing, but just wondering......what's gone wrong with Bristol ?

Is it injuries, total loss of everybody's form, over achieving last season, under achieving this ?

I would have thought they'd have been nailed on for a top 4 finish ( with all the alleged world class players they've brought in),what's up ?

• Admin
26 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Their isolation period ends on Dec 10th, the day before the Bristol game which must place it in some doubt.

Cardiff plan to play Champions Cup matches against Toulouse and Harlequins with a shadow squad as most of their players continue to quarantine.

A group of 42 players and staff are due to leave South Africa on Thursday after securing a charter flight and quarantine accommodation in England.

Six people will stay in Cape Town after returning positive Covid-19 tests.

Cardiff are due to host reigning European champions Toulouse at the Arms Park on Saturday 11 December.

As the Welsh side will be without 32 players - and 16 members of staff - who will be quarantining for 10 days in England or South Africa, they intend to field a team comprised of academy players, reserves and Wales internationals who did not travel to South Africa.

Both Cardiff's scheduled United Rugby Championship matches in South Africa against the Emirates Lions and DHL Stormers were postponed but the club says it must still fulfil two Heineken Champions Cup encounters against Toulouse and English champions Harlequins.

A 10-day period of quarantine means those self-isolating will be able to play no part in the European fixtures.

There are six members of Wales' autumn squad who could be available after they remained in Cardiff while the rest of the squad travelled to South Africa.

They are Josh Adams, Willis Halaholo, Tomos Williams, Dillon Lewis, Seb Davies and Ellis Jenkins.

"Anyone from this trip will be ineligible to face Toulouse and Quins but we have got a number of internationals back home and we'll do everything in our power to honour these fixtures," said Cardiff director of rugby Dai Young.

"The team will be made up of the internationals who haven't come with us and some of our best academy players. I'm confident they will do the jersey proud but we need the Cardiff support to get right behind us.

"Gruff Rees will lead the team and he will be assisted by Thomas Rhys Thomas and Richie Rees, who remained in Cardiff to coach those not travelling.

"I know they and the boys will want to do it for the boys in quarantine, we will be watching from our rooms and it will be a real boost if we see a packed Arms Park.

"They will be supporting the boys, those of us in isolation and the club during what has been the most stressful and challenging period I have experienced as a director of rugby. I am confident those players will do the jersey proud."

The travelling party of 42 players and staff on the flight out of Cape Town on Thursday have all returned a negative PCR test prior to travelling to South Africa, two negative lateral flow tests and a further five consecutive PCR tests, all with negative results, in Cape Town.

Six individuals have returned positive results and have been transferred to a South African Covid-19 quarantine hotel.

46 minutes ago, Midred said:

I still can't  understand why the two teams would want to go over there mid season?

To fulfil league fixtures. The Pro14 has been expanded to include the former Super Rugby South African sides. Munster and Zebre were also due to play fixtures there. The former have also had problems after returning positive cases. Most of the squad will be back in Ireland tonight, but 14 have to complete their isolation period in Cape Town. We play Wasps in the Heineken Cup weekend after next. It looks like the intention is to play all European matches at this stage but I think it'll probably end up being a joke of a competition again this season with one thing and another.

• Thanks 1

On 30/11/2021 at 13:17, Gifford2 said:

Scarlets are back and self isolating.

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Their isolation period ends on Dec 10th, the day before the Bristol game which must place it in some doubt.

To complicate matters further they aren't actually back in Wales. They are isolating in Belfast until the day before the game. Guess they may just fly straight to Bristol on the Friday/Saturday and play. Not ideal preparation, hopefully a little advantage for Bristol.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

To complicate matters further they aren't actually back in Wales. They are isolating in Belfast until the day before the game. Guess they may just fly straight to Bristol on the Friday/Saturday and play. Not ideal preparation, hopefully a little advantage for Bristol.

They will need it from what I’ve seen this season ??

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Northern Red said:

We were on top after half time then their second try came out of nothing and completely shifted the balance of the game.

Still too many errors but at least players are starting to return.

It didn't come out of nothing mate. It came because Randall took a quick tap penalty near their line but their defence were set and turned the ball over, exited and went down the other end to score.  If we'd taken the easy 3 points we'd have gone 5 ahead with the ball being kicked back to us from kick off.  We were on top at that time...

Stupidity.  If Eddie Jones sees that Randall is toast for England,

On 02/12/2021 at 09:58, MichaelRobartes said:

I've only seen Scarlets once this season when our kids went there and thrashed them. They then got hammered by Leinster and narrowly beat Benetton at home. Aside from the Covid disruption, they also haven't played a match since the end of October. If Bristol can't beat them now, they are really in trouble.

This URC is a complete disaster isn't it?  Tournament involving long haul travel in the middle of a pandemic.  What could possibly go wrong??

I don't get why the game couldn't have been played on weekend of 29th January when the Bears don't have a league game.  Rugby is tinpot sometimes