IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

Will he be able to play for Ireland from next season?

With a couple of exceptions (Sexton at R92 and Geordan Murphy at Tigers spring to mind), Ireland don't pick players who don't play in Ireland. I remember Tadhg Beirne being selected for Ireland whilst still under contract at Scarlets, but I think it was after the season had finished and he was joining Munster in a month or two anyway. Theoretically it's possible, but probably unlikely. 

No idea if he'll even be on Farrell's radar but if he starts well with Connacht then who knows. He'll only be 29. I wonder how much of the decision is based on his international ambitions. and how much is IRFU-led. He's a few U20s caps for us and the IRFU are generally keen to get Irish-qualified players on board. It's not every day that a guy with Joyce's experience becomes available.

He may also just want to live and play in Ireland before he retires. Either way it's a really good signing for Connacht. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

With a couple of exceptions (Sexton at R92 and Geordan Murphy at Tigers spring to mind), Ireland don't pick players who don't play in Ireland. I remember Tadhg Beirne being selected for Ireland whilst still under contract at Scarlets, but I think it was after the season had finished and he was joining Munster in a month or two anyway. Theoretically it's possible, but probably unlikely. 

No idea if he'll even be on Farrell's radar but if he starts well with Connacht then who knows. He'll only be 29. I wonder how much of the decision is based on his international ambitions. and how much is IRFU-led. He's a few U20s caps for us and the IRFU are generally keen to get Irish-qualified players on board. It's not every day that a guy with Joyce's experience becomes available.

He may also just want to live and play in Ireland before he retires. Either way it's a really good signing for Connacht. 

So if Farrell wants him involved he could pick him in the Autumn & 6 nations as long as the IRFU are happy?

Just now, MichaelRobartes said:

Exactly. It might even explain the really early announcement, but I suppose there are loads of possible reasons for that. 

Given he publicly stated a desire to play for Ireland, this isn't as surprising as it initially felt. People assume a homegrown player will stay for their whole career. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Bard said:

Given he publicly stated a desire to play for Ireland, this isn't as surprising as it initially felt. People assume a homegrown player will stay for their whole career. 

He's going to have lived the dream after having played for both of the clubs that are special to him. Good on him. Hope he has a brilliant season for Bristol and arrives in Galway on top form.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

https://www.bristolbearsrugby.com/news/bears-set-for-historic-south-africa-xv-clash/

Banner image

BEARS SET FOR HISTORIC SOUTH AFRICA XV CLASH

TUESDAY, JULY 5TH 2022

Bristol Bears are set to host the World Champions and current number one ranked team in world rugby South Africa XV in an historic encounter in November.

The three-time World Cup winners will visit Ashton Gate on Thursday, November 17th, 2022 as part of their Autumn Nations Series tour of the Northern Hemisphere.

In what promises to be a bumper occasion in BS3, adult prices start from just £25, while Season Ticket Holders can take advantage of the advance sales period until midnight on Wednesday, July 6th (two ticket limit per Season Ticket holder).

KEY DATES

• Advance sales period: Tuesday, July 5th (10am)
  • General sale: Thursday, July 7th (10am)

bears_2223_southafrica_mp_pricingtable_w

SECURE YOUR SEAT NOW

Bristol Bears Director of Rugby, Pat Lam said: “This is exactly one of the goals that Steve (Lansdown) and Chris (Booy) had for the Bears and our supporters at Ashton Gate - to have an opportunity to play a World class international team. Why not start with the current World Champions?

“This is a massive opportunity for all our players to test themselves against one of the best; for our staff to put on an amazing unforgettable event and for our incredible supporters to welcome and host South African supporters from all over the world to Bristol and Ashton Gate. November 17th will be a memorable night make sure you lock it in to be there.”

Bristol Bears chairman Chris Booy said: “This is a significant milestone for the club and really underlines how we far have come as the Bears. To host the World Champions at our home is incredibly exciting and it will be an event that will go down in the history books.

“South Africa are one of the World’s most iconic international teams with a vibrant and passionate fanbase. We’re grateful to the South Africa Rugby Union, Premiership Rugby and World Rugby for their support and co-operation in helping us to deliver this unique and historic fixture.”

This will be the first time Bristol has ever faced South Africa in a friendly fixture and only the sixth international opposition in the club’s 134-year history, most recently 19 years ago against the USA at the Memorial Ground in 2003.

• Like 2

• Admin
2 hours ago, trickytimes said:

Please can somebody assist me. I am told that Leanne Infante (England scrum half) plays for Bristol. However I watched Bristol's end of season games and she did not play once. Was she injured or unavailable. Thanks for any help you can give.

I believe that she got injured at the start of March against Loughborough 

5 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

15k tickets sold for the SA game already. 

Bought mine this evening as completely forgot about them going on sale this morning! Luckily I managed to find the final three seats together in the South Stand.

Barely any tickets left now aside from Upper Lansdown:

Screenshot_20220707-201348-027.png

7 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Bought mine this evening as completely forgot about them going on sale this morning! Luckily I managed to find the final three seats together in the South Stand.

They’ve got a nice little earner from these ticket sales, and I expect the bars will be doing an extremely good trade too. 

21 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Guess the Atyeo has only just been put on sale, as all blocks are now available with loads of tickets in each.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

I wonder how much we are paying to host them?

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

£1 million +  I would guess...

Wow.

And there was me thinking this would be a nice little earner for the club; in addition to the fee we received for hosting the match, we would also receive a healthy return on ticket sales and on-site purchases - food and drink etc.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Slacker said:

With respect is that an educated guess or more of a guesstimate?How much do you reckon the club would make after paying South Africa?

I guess you add gate receipts - food / drink - programmes - special scarfs etc - sponsorship - TV coverage

Bristol will be getting worldwide coverage from the fixture, I was wondering if it was usual for a touring side to play a club team?

I do wonder if it was all arranged the previous year when we were up the top of the table rather than how last season went?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, phantom said:

I guess you add gate receipts - food / drink - programmes - special scarfs etc - sponsorship - TV coverage

Bristol will be getting worldwide coverage from the fixture, I was wondering if it was usual for a touring side to play a club team?

I do wonder if it was all arranged the previous year when we were up the top of the table rather than how last season went?

It used to be very common up until about 20-25 years ago, doesn't happen much now because of tighter schedules and focus on player welfare.

• Thanks 1