Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, hail gus cesaer said:

I know quite a few Bristol fans (me included have/are coming round to the red! Of course there is the traditionalists who won’t come round (yet/ever) but who still support the team in a hundred years no one will even remember who played in Blue and white stripes! Same as no really remembers City playing in Blue (apart from a select few)

Plenty will, and it helps that the jerseys are actually nice but I don't like to see a club's traditions being trampled over. I'm not even a Bristol fan so that's the only reason I don't like it. There are plenty of recent examples of team name, colour etc changes coming into the game and that'll only increase as the money increases.

I'd say the fact that we played in blue jerseys is fairly well-known given that it's our only cup final appearance to date. It's hardly comparable since it was a change kit and over 100 years ago though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Plenty will, and it helps that the jerseys are actually nice but I don't like to see a club's traditions being trampled over. I'm not even a Bristol fan so that's the only reason I don't like it. There are plenty of recent examples of team name, colour etc changes coming into the game and that'll only increase as the money increases.

I'd say the fact that we played in blue jerseys is fairly well-known given that it's our only cup final appearance to date. It's hardly comparable since it was a change kit and over 100 years ago though.

I get some people don’t like traditions changing but some change for the better! To be fair we play in a stadium with red seats and everywhere we look is red having red on the shirt can helps us to belong!

Plus as rugby is trying to push for the younger fans now with the advent of rugby X   (Indoor 5 a side) trying the capture the kids that going to play basketball (which is I saw one report it started grow faster than rugby amongst young inner city kids) and along with the bears thing tradition isn’t the be all and end all with the youngsters!  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, hail gus cesaer said:

I get some people don’t like traditions changing but some change for the better! To be fair we play in a stadium with red seats and everywhere we look is red having red on the shirt can helps us to belong!

Plus as rugby is trying to push for the younger fans now with the advent of rugby X   (Indoor 5 a side) trying the capture the kids that going to play basketball (which is I saw one report it started grow faster than rugby amongst young inner city kids) and along with the bears thing tradition isn’t the be all and end all with the youngsters!  

That's true, but there are plenty of rugby teams who play in stadiums that they don't own with the result that their colours look a bit out of place there, I don't know if that's such a big problem. I completely understand what Bristol Sport are trying to do by creating a new name and logo which can be marketed in ways that the old name and logo couldn't (they've done much the same thing with our badge now and we've already seen that it's going to appear on pretty much everything from clothing to luggage).

I am concerned with the growing footballisation of rugby, with the money that some of the French sides are putting into it and several English clubs openly flaunting the salary cap. It's not healthy and I'm not sure how the rest of us are supposed to compete but it's increasingly the reality. I totally agree with you that some of the things they are trying to grow the game, including innovations like Rugby X and rule changes aimed at reducing head injuries and concussions are absolutely the right way to go.

Back to Bristol, there's a guy on Twitter who puts together brilliant analysis pieces on Munster, Ireland and other teams and he had this to say when the name change occurred. Can't really disagree with any of it.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Prefer last season's kit but it's still good. I think this one needed hoops on the arms like the previous year, it's lacking white too.

I like the modernisation of our shirts, the colour scheme of predominantly blue with white and a splash of red isn't common in rugby so it's good from a marketing perspective. 

Re-signings are the most important for me, as will be other re-signings later in the year. Every one of these is significant, would like to see the likes of Sheedy, Prothero and Woolmore added to the extensions/new contracts too.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/07/2019 at 09:52, phantom said:

I'm guessing in time the home shirt will be red and the away will be white and blue hoops?

Hope that never happens, a bit of red is fine and the last two designs have been great and good respectively. Probably end up looking like Glaws. Would have been nice to have a red away kit and maybe a nod to Bris in City away kit but that was before rebrand and bears. 

Now I would love to tie the clubs together with the purple and lime kits, not exactly common in either sports.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought my tickets for the Bath game which is still a month and a half away. I thought I would be alright waiting a bit, but already over 20k sold! Apart from the (very expensive) Lansdown Stand there is only one block left where you can get anything other than single seats, so I've had to slum it in the end block in the Atyeo. 

Unbelievable really for a game so far away. Nailed on for a sell out. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

Bought my tickets for the Bath game which is still a month and a half away. I thought I would be alright waiting a bit, but already over 20k sold! Apart from the (very expensive) Lansdown Stand there is only one block left where you can get anything other than single seats, so I've had to slum it in the end block in the Atyeo. 

Unbelievable really for a game so far away. Nailed on for a sell out. 

Over 22k sold now. Very impressive given it's still 7 weeks away! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

Bought my tickets for the Bath game which is still a month and a half away. I thought I would be alright waiting a bit, but already over 20k sold! Apart from the (very expensive) Lansdown Stand there is only one block left where you can get anything other than single seats, so I've had to slum it in the end block in the Atyeo. 

Unbelievable really for a game so far away. Nailed on for a sell out. 

 

28 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Over 22k sold now. Very impressive given it's still 7 weeks away! 

Yes the curtain raiser will be an electric atmosphere and one I am really looking forward to. Missed last year's as we were on hols - watching on TV not quite the same - so this is hotly anticipated. 

Bit naused off though that they've got rid of the unreserved areas but I guess for most games you'll be able to sit with your mates wherever you want as most crowds will be nowhere near a full-house. So for the Barf game I'll be sat on me todd in the family section as it'll be far too late for the boy to come with me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gutted I’m missing the bath game, will hopefully find a pub with it on. 

22000 is a very decent amount so far in advance, will be good to see another sell out under the lights. 

We sold  around 6400 season tickets last year @Slacker iirc so good to see the numbers rising again

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Gutted I’m missing the bath game, will hopefully find a pub with it on. 

22000 is a very decent amount so far in advance, will be good to see another sell out under the lights. 

We sold  around 6400 season tickets last year @Slacker iirc so good to see the numbers rising again

Thanks JB.Good to see things moving in the right direction. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I take it, by the lack of media coverage and exposure, this is a very minor competition ?

Yep it’s basically being treated as competitive pre season matches this season. Normally sides use it as a youth competition 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • TomF changed the title to All things Bristol Bears

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...