IGNORED

A City Legend - Mike Gibson ...

swampy

3 minutes ago, candygram for mongo said:

"1-2-3 GIBBO GIBBO GIBBO GIBBO GIBBO"

Us older ones will remember this ritual

And the jump to touch the crossbar...  

I loved Gibbo, it seemed that every other match there rumours that he was doubtful because of injury or illness, but there he would be between sticks. It must have been depressing being his understudy.

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Was just about to post the same. @SuperDziek @oldstandrobin Dad caught him on a delivery one morning to get his autograph! He must’ve been some player. 

As some others posted loved his 123 Gibbo routine touching the crossbar. Privileged to have seen this many times.

8 hours ago, swampy said:

Apologies if this has been posted before: 

Lovely bloke from the days when football belonged to the people.

Interesting that he said we were ' unlucky ' not to get promoted again being pipped by Southampton and unlucky not to beat Spurs in the semi final having missed a penalty.

We were , are , so often the ' nearly men ' this is why my first user name on OTIB was Always the Bridesmaid. Cotts made me change it but last year's semi final loss and fall from the giddy heights of second made me seriously think about blowing the cobwebs off ATB and reinstating it.

Let's hope that this season LJ makes me forget it forever.

My first City keeper, and well remember his pre match routine and rapport with the fans.

Have to admit though I never realised he wasn't Bristolian and we'd signed him from Shrewsbury (well before my time)

Seen him many times at Sainsbury's Ashton, often in conversation with older City fans.

One ofd the best saves i ever saw was Mikes v Leicester City, Frank Worthington i think. Hit one from around about 25 yds. It was going into the top corner. Mike not the biggest goalkeeper in the league was in the middle of the goal he seemed to go up then extend himself like Twizzleman (one for the older fans). He put his finger nails on the ball and it went for a corner, brilliant.

5 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Must have seen him   play more times than any other keeper in a City shirt since .

I definitely can’t say that, but I remember him well. Random memory can be peculiar but I “think I have” this a memory of him not being in the side at an away game in London (possibly Millwall), circa late 60’s and saying to my old man, why is gibbo not playing. Statoes please correct me, but I believe it was Ray Cashley’s debut

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

I definitely can’t say that, but I remember him well. Random memory can be peculiar but I “think I have” this a memory of him not being in the side at an away game in London (possibly Millwall), circa late 60’s and saying to my old man, why is gibbo not playing. Statoes please correct me, but I believe it was Ray Cashley’s debut

Cashley made his City debut against Southampton in the F.A. Cup, 1970.

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

So that gives me a year. At least. Do we know his league debut? Either way it was a shock at the time not to see Gibbo come out and do his routine. Was the Southampton game away or home?

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

No , Cash made his debut in  the Cup against Saints away ,1970. It may have been QPR away ,69 Easter-ish.....Jock Mahoney made his debut and saved a pen in a 2-2 draw .

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

No , Cash made his debut in  the Cup against Saints away ,1970. It may have been QPR away ,69 Easter-ish.....Jock Mahoney made his debut and saved a pen in a 2-2 draw .

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Slarti. That’s it!

NTB. Yes again. Sorry for the failing memory, but I think have mixed the two games up!....Bugger we have been supporting this club a long time!

Archived