IGNORED

No Pasaran - Clapton shirt sales

Leveller

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45344696

Intriguing story, though I don't think its been picked up here.

A non league club - just formed, twelfth tier - decided to dedicate their away shirts to the members of the International Brigades who went to Spain to fight fascism in the 1930's.

As a result, instead of the 250 expected sales, they've sold 2500, mostly to Spaniards and can't cope with the rush of orders. They've also had to register for VAT and increase the shirt price by £5.

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Leveller said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45344696

Intriguing story, though I don't think its been picked up here.

A non league club - just formed, twelfth tier - decided to dedicate their away shirts to the members of the International Brigades who went to Spain to fight fascism in the 1930's.

As a result, instead of the 250 expected sales, they've sold 2500, mostly to Spaniards and can't cope with the rush of orders. They've also had to register for VAT and increase the shirt price by £5.

Saw this yesterday, I was more amazed a side that far down the pyramid expected to sell 250 shirts originally

Just now, phantom said:

Saw this yesterday, I was more amazed a side that far down the pyramid expected to sell 250 shirts originally

They are newly formed, fan owned and had upwards of 350 club members prior to extra Spanish ones joining so I think that is a reasonable estimate of what they'd sell. You'd have to be pretty invested in a new club to become a member I should think. 

Its a very nice story indeed. however i have my doubts.

Having been involved in lower level football for quite some time i would like to know how a club (only just formed) and in the 12th tier of football (step 7 of non league football)  can expect to shift around 250 shirts a season.

I know many many clubs at higher levels that would dream of selling 250 shirts, in fact if you added all shirts sales from every club in the western 1st division  (Step 6) you will find that 250 is a realistic total for the division. 

19 minutes ago, redsince82 said:

Having been involved in lower level football for quite some time i would like to know how a club (only just formed) and in the 12th tier of football (step 7 of non league football)  can expect to shift around 250 shirts a season.

I know many many clubs at higher levels that would dream of selling 250 shirts, in fact if you added all shirts sales from every club in the western 1st division  (Step 6) you will find that 250 is a realistic total for the division. 

They're a very well known club at a non-league level, mostly for their ultras.

250 is not a surprise at all for them.

1 hour ago, Drew Peacock said:

The FA will put a stop to it.

Them or UEFA/FIFA .

Regardless of your political stance, (and lets be fair how many were around when the Spanish civil war was happening) One side was backed by Fascist Hitler, the other by Communist Stalin, so the notion that one lot was nice and the other nasty is a bit simplistic, although the evidence is that Spain didn't prosper under Franco, except he stayed out of WW2 which was probably best for all concerned..

Consider this. There are currently thousands of people fighting for a cause in a foreign country against what they believe to be oppression of their brothers and sisters. They are called Isis and include idealistic Britons just like back in 1930's Spain, so I wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised if the football authorities stamp on this to prevent some rag bag Iranian club side getting the printing kit out.

Good point Loon Plague.

However, my understanding is that the Republicans didn't share the Stalin idealism, but rejected the Fascism of the Nationalists who did share Hitler's ideology.

Although they gladly accepted arms and volunteers from Stalin, they would have preferred military support from France (Who were considering it) Britain, US etc.

Atrocities committed by both sides but there is a simplistic good v evil there.

Football Forum....oh.....nice shirt.

6 hours ago, redsince82 said:

The club has been turned into a cause celebtre by leftists in London. Lots of waving antifa banners along with flags in support of Palestine and the PKK at non league clubs which are hardly hotbeds of fascism, or have any anti or pro view on Kurdistan ... Its a bit weird.

2 hours ago, MJP3 said:

Good point Loon Plague.

However, my understanding is that the Republicans didn't share the Stalin idealism, but rejected the Fascism of the Nationalists who did share Hitler's ideology.

Although they gladly accepted arms and volunteers from Stalin, they would have preferred military support from France (Who were considering it) Britain, US etc.

Atrocities committed by both sides but there is a simplistic good v evil there.

Football Forum....oh.....nice shirt.

Its Plage actually...

7 hours ago, Red Army Faction said:

Great story.  Good to see a club positioning itself as overtly anti-fascist with so many far right organisations using football as a recruiting ground for their hate.

Why do football teams have to get involved in such political nonsense whether it's right wing or antifa. Both sides are full of bellends. Cant we just enjoy a bit of an escape from the real world every now and again. 

1 minute ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Why do football teams have to get involved in such political nonsense whether it's right wing or antifa. Both sides are full of bellends. Cant we just enjoy a bit of an escape from the real world every now and again. 

I think its a publicity stunt to tap into a sector of society who  (in the main) have no football allegiances.

Could well be wrong before i'm challenged, just a feeling..

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Can't insulate football from politics unfortunately.

The difference for me is that if you have a club like Lazio that tacitly condones their right wing supporters, then you have a club that is saying certain sections of the community - blacks, Jews, immigrants, gays - aren't welcome.

If you are a club positioning yourself as overtly anti-fascist then the only ones you are saying aren't welcome are fascists - those that aren't tolerant of those sections of society.

Simplistic maybe, but personally I know what kind of club I'd prefer to follow.  

59 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Simplistic, or maybe downright idiotic and sick to have as your name and avatar the badge of a terrorist organisation that killed 34 and carried out 296 bombings.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Army_Faction

Fair comment. 

More of a dedication to Joe Strummer than RAF.  (He used to wear a RAF t shirt).  My original name (Redskin) from long, long ago was taken.  Red Army was taken.  And my views seems to be largely in the minority on here so the Faction bit seemed to work, so I went with Red Army Faction.  

I have considered changing it on a number of occasions.  Maybe I will.

Edit:. Looks like Redskin has come available, so that's me now!!

6 hours ago, Redskin said:

Fair comment. 

More of a dedication to Joe Strummer than RAF.  (He used to wear a RAF t shirt).  My original name (Redskin) from long, long ago was taken.  Red Army was taken.  And my views seems to be largely in the minority on here so the Faction bit seemed to work, so I went with Red Army Faction.  

I have considered changing it on a number of occasions.  Maybe I will.

Edit:. Looks like Redskin has come available, so that's me now!!

Cheers, appreciated.

I didn't know the Joe Strummer back story.

Archived