IGNORED

Midfield options

redpole

Walsh will be 21 this month and arrived at AG with both a very good pedigree and a high recommendation from Everton fans.

LJ thought highly enough of him to include him against Man. City so unless his opinion of the player has plummeted since there should be no concern for either coach or fans if we need to use him now.

Let's not forget what LJ said about Walsh in January:

"I think Liam gives us something slightly different to what we have already and adds to the qualities we already have in midfield. He loves getting on the ball and is a very good passer with both his left and right foot. He’s a brilliant player, who can come in and compete immediately. Hopefully he can improve and he improves us." Walsh, himself, felt leaving Everton for Bristol City was a right time for him to leave.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Walsh will be 21 this month and arrived at AG with both a very good pedigree and a high recommendation from Everton fans.

LJ thought highly enough of him to include him against Man. City so unless his opinion of the player has plummeted since there should be no concern for either coach or fans if we need to use him now.

Let's not forget what LJ said about Walsh in January:

"I think Liam gives us something slightly different to what we have already and adds to the qualities we already have in midfield. He loves getting on the ball and is a very good passer with both his left and right foot. He’s a brilliant player, who can come in and compete immediately. Hopefully he can improve and he improves us." Walsh, himself, felt leaving Everton for Bristol City was a right time for him to leave.

Scott Murray was very complimentary about him pre-season too

3 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Will Walsh not have a problem with the physical side of the game and winning the ball. Not really in the Korey Smith mode.

It looks like LJ wants to play without a Korey Smith type this season.  I think we have to accept that Brownhill, Pack and Smith are all different types of CM, and Walsh is another.

If Walsh needed to replace Brownhill, you could probably let Pack play the same role he has played so far this season, with Walsh buzzing around in front of him.

However if Pack was out, I think it would have a much bigger impact.

I don’t see Walsh or Brownhill playing the deep playmaker role.  We might have to tweak the way we play in that scenario.

How do others see it?

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It looks like LJ wants to play without a Korey Smith type this season.  I think we have to accept that Brownhill, Pack and Smith are all different types of CM, and Walsh is another.

If Walsh needed to replace Brownhill, you could probably let Pack play the same role he has played so far this season, with Walsh buzzing around in front of him.

I don’t see Walsh or Brownhill playing the deep playmaker role.  We might have to tweak the way we play in that scenario.

How do others see it?

Indeed, interesting that LJ did not pick Korey in the starting 11 for the first 2 league games.

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

How do others see it?

Agree.  With the players we have at our disposal Walsh would probably be a replacement for Brownhill and Hegeler When fit for Pack.  Both switches would weaken the first 11 unless they raise their games but we probably could get away with one or the other in the team short term without the need for a massive tweak but not long term.  Walsh didn’t get a loan move so we need to find away of getting him Championship experience and minutes on the pitch without impacting on performances.  He’s lacking in first team football game time and his run out with a poor Birmingham side at this level was anything but impressive.

I’m fairly happy with the squad apart from CM and if I’m really picky another striker would be good.

over to LJ now to get the most out of them and prove the doubters wrong and show that he’s the quality coach SL says he is.  Exciting times and no room for hiding or excuses now.  

Archived