IGNORED

26,079 at ashton gate on friday night

Never to the dark side

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I was in a 38,000 crowd vs Liverpool at Ashton Gate but was also in plenty of 14k to 17k crowds in the top flight, you could gauge the real figure by knowing the capacity of each section.....if we were announcing ‘iffy’ crowd figures why would we announce 38,000 vs the Mickeys?!

And how many were locked out that night? Few thousand for sure. Us old ******* have been in the gate with 8,500 in and also sell outs

If we went up and were bottom of the league at Christmas we would still attract 24,000+ every game.

I was in a 38,000 crowd vs Liverpool at Ashton Gate but was also in plenty of 14k to 17k crowds in the top flight, you could gauge the real figure by knowing the capacity of each section.....if we were announcing ‘iffy’ crowd figures why would we announce 38,000 vs the Mickeys?!

Because there were a couple of thousand still locked outside. Difficult to explain if a below capacity attendance is announced.

1 hour ago, brady bunch said:
1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

If you recall, the crowd would laugh when the match attendance was announced when in the first division because clearly the club wasn't claiming the full crowd for tax purposes. For the massive games City had to come clean but i've been in big crowds recorded as 23,000 ish when there was loads more in there.

That was also happening late 80s and 90s, I remember a big booo going around the ground at one game, when the figure they announced was laughably low

Is this why the gas have no money. Everyone else understates attendance whereas they constantly overstate their attendances, costing them a fortune in tax!

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

If you recall, the crowd would laugh when the match attendance was announced when in the first division because clearly the club wasn't claiming the full crowd for tax purposes. For the massive games City had to come clean but i've been in big crowds recorded as 23,000 ish when there was loads more in there.

like Chelsea in the FA cup, they gave the crowd as 23.000 and the crowd actually laughed, they must have been embarrassed because they later said there had been an error, yeah right!! 

Football has changed so much, I would guess that of the teams that were in the top flight with City forty years ago, 80% of them are now enjoying better average gates than they were back then. Hooliganism was ruining the game, I remember Stoke getting less than 10,000 Man Utd getting less than 30,000 for unattractive games, Sunderland getting 15,000 gates etc. Clubs could always pack them in for derby games or end of season cliff hangers but generally gates were much smaller. Even in our relegation season there were 4 or 5 clubs with a lower average attendance than City in the top flight.

1 hour ago, nickolas said:

Does anyone really think they’ll be packing in 26,000 for many of their games as i certainly cant. 15,000 at best imo. The odd local derby will bump it up just the same as if we played the Gash. 

1st game syndrome tonight. Also a derby. 

Very good but unsustainable i reckon. 

If they are competitive they'll get 17-18k pretty much every game, especially after the hype of tonight. 

No way there'll be a crowd like that at ashton gate for a league game again this season though 

I'v been in 37,000 and 38,000 crowds at the gate in the old days of standing and I think my Dad tod me he had been in a 43,000 gate years before.  Still good that the egg chasers can pretty much fill the ground too.

If only we could reach the too flight, we could fill the ground quite regularly.  An expansion might even be needed.  Perhaps the Atyeo could be relaced as a 2 tier and isn't there a facility to add another tier to the South Stand?

I wonder what size the ground could actually be developed to bearing in mind the space constraints.  Maybe if we get a World cup, consideration might be given.

One of the best things is that whilst AV might have been more economical, there is nothing like going to your spiritual home.

5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yes, lots of tickets were sold - but the official site had a section that showed how many actually turned up - and in the cases of both games vs the Manchester clubs - it was nowhere near the capacity...

“Nowhere near” is being harsh. I don’t know why not everyone showed up on the night after buying a ticket but I imagine being that close to Christmas (for the Manchester games) there may have been various reasons. Some of those tickets would’ve also got in the hands of touts. I doubt there’s a football match in the country where everyone who buys a ticket shows up.

Both games sold out, people who wanted to attend couldn’t.

Football is different now to what it was in the 70s and 80s, that’s why you can’t  compare attendances with then and now. Crowds were down all over the country at the time. We may well have had some 15-17k crowds back then but we wouldn’t have been alone.

Top flight football now will sell out AG most weeks, certainly in the first season. Whether every single person shows up or not after buying a ticket is another matter.

7 hours ago, nickolas said:

Does anyone really think they’ll be packing in 26,000 for many of their games as i certainly cant. 15,000 at best imo. The odd local derby will bump it up just the same as if we played the Gash. 

1st game syndrome tonight. Also a derby. 

Very good but unsustainable i reckon. 

Bristol regularly used to get 11000 + at The Mem when they were in the top flight and doing okay. I think they would do a little bit better now, simply because they will probably be more successful with the amount of money chucked at them, there are an awful lot of rugby fans in these parts.

As for whether City would sell most weeks out if they were in the Premier League, I would be amazed if they didn't, you get 20,000 as it is!

For those of you who want to see a bit of rugby but don't want to pay £45 for the privilege, come on up The Dings!

42 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Bristol regularly used to get 11000 + at The Mem when they were in the top flight and doing okay. I think they would do a little bit better now, simply because they will probably be more successful with the amount of money chucked at them, there are an awful lot of rugby fans in these parts.

As for whether City would sell most weeks out if they were in the Premier League, I would be amazed if they didn't, you get 20,000 as it is!

For those of you who want to see a bit of rugby but don't want to pay £45 for the privilege, come on up The Dings!

Bristol averaged 14000 last time they were in the premiership, despite being bottom for the whole season. 

I'd imagine they could add a couple of thousand on to that if they are competitive

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ah , I thought it was you .

Not sure - we didn’t average anywhere near 27k when we were last in the top flight and back then there wasn’t anywhere near the zillions of other distractions that currently keep people from going to football matches....we didn’t even have capacity crowds vs the two Manchester clubs last season, in real terms....

Whether a few people have last minute change of plan or not, if every ticket in the place is sold I think it’s splitting hairs to be denying that it’s a ‘capacity crowd’. 

As a %, what was the difference between tickets sold and actual attendees, and was it materially different to any other game?

The place looked as full as I’ve ever seen it for those games. 

Presumably there’s some error inherent in those figures anyway as occasionally you see people waved in through turnstiles manually etc if they’re having problems with a turnstile or their tickets for some reason. I’m assuming there’s also a fair few tickets given over to key staff and players for friends/family/bigwigs etc which may not all get used and affect the actual ‘bums on seats’.

Remember bristol city include season ticket holders regardless if they are at the game or not. So it may say 20k but actually minus500- 1k approx to get real attendance..

This isn't rumour this was state of fact from Bristol sport who were being clamped down by the gits at Bristol city council last year that if att was 20k plus on average then city need to help with parking congestion yadda yadda. But bristol sports reply was we don't actually get what we say its minus 500ish

8 hours ago, phantom said:

Assume you've been to Ashton Gate the last few years? 

Exactly. The pitch was immaculate from start to finish and will be its usual perfect playing surface on Sunday. Even if the game was being played today, and we have had an overnight changeover, it would be as if a game of rugby had never been played on it. Credit to the groundstaff and the club for investing in such a good surface. This has got to be some of the best money we have ever spent.

Yes, lots of tickets were sold - but the official site had a section that showed how many actually turned up - and in the cases of both games vs the Manchester clubs - it was nowhere near the capacity...

What point are you trying to make with all this??

The games v Birmingham, Man Utd and Man City all sold out. For the latter two games, the club had to put a special sales procedure in place to ensure genuine supporters got tickets. At each stage of sales, there was an enormous rush to buy - I know because I waited in the online queue! Both Manchester games sold out well in advance and plenty of people who wanted to go couldn’t.

If there were some empty seats on the night, that’s clearly not because of any lack of interest.

Last night’s game was a local derby between two closely matched sides, with no segreagation, meaning both fan bases could buy as many tickets as they wanted. Replicate that scenario for City v Rovers and of course the game sells out.

I really don’t understand what you’re trying to say.

53 minutes ago, David Brent said:

My favourite reply -

Fair enough, im the same. At least they will fill their stadium tonight...

I rather enjoyed this comment from their thread

"Im not gunna lie, the new Ashton gate rebuild is amazing.For a new build its one of the best in the country imho,it pains me to admit this tho.

The thing is that we as a football club have just as much potential as they do in the long term if we can ever get a new developed ground, and any good money thrown at us like they have over the years.

It pisses me off to say it, but they are a premiership club in the waiting.Tonight shown me why we need a new ground more than asap.."

9 hours ago, Redsi2 said:

If we played Rovers surely they would bring 27000 away fans as they are so well prowed of their away following!!!

pah..We would have to lock them out then as the whole ground would already be full of die hard horse punchers ...not to mention the 500,000 watching the beam back under the marquee at the squat. .

9 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

And how many were locked out that night? Few thousand for sure. Us old ******* have been in the gate with 8,500 in and also sell outs

If we went up and were bottom of the league at Christmas we would still attract 24,000+ every game.

Some of those gates in the dark days were considerably lower than 8.5k 

They were horrible days stood in the lower enclosure back then.

Archived