IGNORED

Wot no signings

Major Isewater

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Well folks , no incomings on deadline day , good or bad thing ? 

I'm quite happy as it means that players within the club have the chance and motivation to impress.

Also LJ will have to use all his coaching prowess to get results and not just slot in a like for like replacement in case of injuries.

Interesting times.

LJ said midweek that his business was done so it would have a surprise if he had brought in another loan. He’s clearly confident that his squad is deep and strong enough.

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Equally Jamie Mac said we had ' irons in the fire ' regarding incoming players.

Oh.......I missed that.

let’s start a conspiracy theory that there’s disharmony within the coaching team.........not on the same page, pulling in different directions, left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing.................:disapointed2se:

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Oh.......I missed that.

let’s start a conspiracy theory that there’s disharmony within the coaching team.........not on the same page, pulling in different directions, left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing.................:disapointed2se:

Well they've always said if the right person becomes available then we'll be interested. Perhaps something happened after LJ said so and before Macca's presser 

Gutted we didn’t bring in a CM loan at least.  But on the bright side the squad should be good enough for mid table now we appear to have sorted out the defence with Kalas joining.  I do feel that again we have missed an opportunity to show a little more ambition and attack the play off places but the flip side we will see if LJ tactics and coaching is good enough to get the best out of a pretty decent squad. Certainly no hiding place for him now.  Let’s hope Pack and Brownhill stay injury and suspension free and have enough energy in their legs to play LJ’s high pressing game and get us through until January.  As for our existing cover, I’m not sure Walsh is ready for anything more than the odd sub appearance but time will tell.  Hegeler seems a bit injury prone with a slower style of play doesn’t seem to fit with what we currently expect from the centre midfielders.

20 minutes ago, General Zod said:

Gutted we didn’t bring in a CM loan at least.  But on the bright side the squad should be good enough for mid table now we appear to have sorted out the defence with Kalas joining.  I do feel that again we have missed an opportunity to show a little more ambition and attack the play off places but the flip side we will see if LJ tactics and coaching is good enough to get the best out of a pretty decent squad. Certainly no hiding place for him now.  Let’s hope Pack and Brownhill stay injury and suspension free and have enough energy in their legs to play LJ’s high pressing game and get us through until January.  As for our existing cover, I’m not sure Walsh is ready for anything more than the odd sub appearance but time will tell.  Hegeler seems a bit injury prone with a slower style of play doesn’t seem to fit with what we currently expect from the centre midfielders.

I understand your concerns but would ask:

A) How likely is it that Pack and Brownhill will sustain injuries? They both have pretty good availability records don't they?

B) Who could we have brought in, that would have been available on loan that is better than what we have? Or, at least willing to play backup to MP and JB but better than Walsh, Morrell or Hegeler?

Let’s hope you’re right about no injuries (and also no suspensions) but it’s the high tempo, high press that we like to play that drains the energy from the legs.  Appreciate we had a few extra cup games last year but by Christmas, playing this way the legs were gone all over the pitch.  Teams like Man City play this way but can rest players replacing quality with quality. We lack this option at CM.

who could we bring in? That’s for our well supported scouting network an MA to work out.  All I know is that when the defence looked like it wasn’t gelling, not providing the platform needed to play our high tempo attacking game and there was a danger that we would have a season looking over our shoulders at the bottom of the division and not mid table we go all out, find the fee and wages a secure a proven quality addition like Kalas.  I would have liked to see that kind of determination to cover Smiths injury and the signal our ambition to push towards the playoffs and not settle for the security of  mid table.  If SL is serious when he wants to see an improvement in our league position then not bringing in a quality midfielder was an oversight IMO

equally, I believe that would have allowed Walsh to go out on loan and get 4 months of 90 minutes of football under his belt and come back here in January in a much better position to slit into the first 11.  How is he going to develop with a 10 minute sub appearance once in a while. He’s only played 20 odd first team games for Yeovil, Birmingham and us over his entire career 

10 minutes ago, General Zod said:

Let’s hope you’re right about no injuries (and also no suspensions) but it’s the high tempo, high press that we like to play that drains the energy from the legs.  Appreciate we had a few extra cup games last year but by Christmas, playing this way the legs were gone all over the pitch.  Teams like Man City play this way but can rest players replacing quality with quality. We lack this option at CM.

who could we bring in? That’s for our well supported scouting network an MA to work out.  All I know is that when the defence looked like it wasn’t gelling, not providing the platform needed to play our high tempo attacking game and there was a danger that we would have a season looking over our shoulders at the bottom of the division and not mid table we go all out, find the fee and wages a secure a proven quality addition like Kalas.  I would have liked to see that kind of determination to cover Smiths injury and the signal our ambition to push towards the playoffs and not settle for the security of  mid table.  If SL is serious when he wants to see an improvement in our league position then not bringing in a quality midfielder was an oversight IMO

equally, I believe that would have allowed Walsh to go out on loan and get 4 months of 90 minutes of football under his belt and come back here in January in a much better position to slit into the first 11.  How is he going to develop with a 10 minute sub appearance once in a while. He’s only played 20 odd first team games for Yeovil, Birmingham and us over his entire career 

Again, I don't disagree with what you say. There are fine margins here, we can't expect that experienced quality players will want to come here as squad players, so we are reliant on finding someone that is better than we have. 

I suspect the scouting team did look at what was available, but perhaps they were unable to find anyone available of requisite quality. Perhaps the only suitable players were loans from Premier League teams with less experience further down the pyramid that Walsh. I guess we will never know. 

I absolutely agree regarding Walsh getting a loan though, perhaps he will In January if he doesn't play much of a part until then and someone else becomes available for us to bring in. 

30 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

I suspect the scouting team did look at what was available, but perhaps they were unable to find anyone available of requisite quality. Perhaps the only suitable players were loans from Premier League teams with less experience further down the pyramid that Walsh. I guess we will never know. 

Im sure players would have been available or could be tempted to become available with the requisite quality to make an immediate impact on the first team squad but not for a price we are prepared to pay.  Kalas must have pushed us out of our usual loan budget comfort zone but I really think this was driven by desperation and a realisation of how lightweight the defence was looking and a lack of faith in Bakers form. We can do it when we are desperate and trying to stay in the league (Kalas, Tomlin for example).  I just wish we would show the same urgency, willingness to pay/overpay to show that final bit of ambition and go all out to find the final few pieces of the jigsaw when we look comfortable in mid table.

I know it’s not in fitting with the ‘project’ but last year we were so close and this year I think the squad is even stronger with players like Kalas, Weimann and Kelly initially looking capable of replacing Flint, Bobby and Joe and a bit of depth now across the back 4 and on the wings.  I don’t think it would take much more to make us an extremely good team in this division and this lack of final push ambition frustrates me.

45 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

Again, I don't disagree with what you say. There are fine margins here, we can't expect that experienced quality players will want to come here as squad players, so we are reliant on finding someone that is better than we have. 

I absolutely agree regarding Walsh getting a loan though, perhaps he will In January if he doesn't play much of a part until then and someone else becomes available for us to bring in. 

In Jan we might know his far Korey Smith is away from fitness, and also Hegeler might be fit and in contention for regular involvement.  It is a gamble, totally accept that.

2 minutes ago, General Zod said:

Im sure players would have been available or could be tempted to become available with the requisite quality to make an immediate impact on the first team squad but not for a price we are prepared to pay.  Kalas must have pushed us out of our usual loan budget comfort zone but I really think this was driven by desperation and a realisation of how lightweight the defence was looking and a lack of faith in Bakers form. We can do it when we are desperate and trying to stay in the league (Kalas, Tomlin for example).  I just wish we would show the same urgency, willingness to pay/overpay to show that final bit of ambition and go all out to find the final few pieces of the jigsaw when we look comfortable in mid table.

I know it’s not in fitting with the ‘project’ but last year we were so close and this year I think the squad is even stronger with players like Kalas, Weimann and Kelly initially looking capable of replacing Flint, Bobby and Joe and a bit of depth now across the back 4 and on the wings.  I don’t think it would take much more to make us an extremely good team in this division and this lack of final push ambition frustrates me.

It looks like CM has been a hard position to fill since we came up.

Cotts wasn’t able to replace Wade Elliott, nor supplement Pack and Smith.

Johnson brought in O’Neil which on paper was a good signing, and for 8/9 games looked very encouraging, then red card and injury was the last we ever really saw of him.  He brought in Brownhill, which now playing central is starting to replace Smith...but we have never been blessed with a full compliment of fit CMs, if you add Hegeler into the mix too.

Think if push came to shove, we might play a midfield 3 / 5 if Pack and Brownhill got injured.

With Korey out for a long time, I felt that we needed a loan replacement.  Last year, the team looked so much better when he was there and we missed him badly when he played at RB or was injured.  

I would have liked a tough tackling midfielder tbh, but I guess nobody suitable was available or available at the right price.  We have what we have and will just need to hope that we don't pick up any more injuries in that area.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Oh.......I missed that.

I have heard that. Apparently Holden and LJ had a full blown row in Marbella in front of the whole squad. 

Archived