IGNORED

So comfy in the concourse

Ciderandred

45million pound. Plus stadium and my 87 year old grand dad has to sit on floor underneath ground as there's no seats.

Fantastic.

Heard its due to health and safety. Utter bollox.

why couldn't the old dolman./williams seats been installed on the walls so if there was a fire you stand up seats go up right. Simple

• Admin
22 hours ago, Ciderandred said:

45million pound. Plus stadium and my 87 year old grand dad has to sit on floor underneath ground as there's no seats.

Fantastic.

why couldn't the old dolman./williams seats been installed on the walls so if there was a fire you stand up seats go up right. Simple

Without wanting to sound rude, why didn't he go into the ground if he needed to sit down?

22 hours ago, Tomarse said:

New stadiums are not allowed to have seating in the concourse. They must be kept clear for evacuations is the deemed reason 

Correct.

This has cropped up on here before.

@Ciderandred

Auto-ignition could occur- without being rude, you might like to look it up? Not sure how high a risk it would be, but it's still possible- auto-ignition, flashover- chairs on the walls could constitute fuel load for a fire.

If they are on the wall and attached to the wall, they can ignite if external temps are high enough- it is why the concourse must be a sterile zone to try to cover all eventualities.

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Correct.

This has cropped up on here before.

@Ciderandred

Auto-ignition could occur- without being rude, you might like to look it up? Not sure how high a risk it would be, but it's still possible.

If they are on the wall and attached to the wall, they can ignite if external temps are high enough- it is why the concourse must be a sterile zone to try to cover all eventualities.

Are you seriously suggesting that seats in the concourse can not be provided as they may spontaneously combust.

22 hours ago, Ciderandred said:

Fantastic.

Take him in the sports bar, or for a few pounds join the supporters club.

27 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Are you seriously suggesting that seats in the concourse can not be provided as they may spontaneously combust.

Could depend on the temperature of fire, could depend on the material they are made of.

Auto-ignition, flashover all that- it maybe a small risk but it's not impossible. Point is, it's deemed a fire risk hence new stadia/newly developed stadia do not have these- remember concourses don't tend to have sprinklers either so anything that is deemed even a minor risk wouldn't be allowed.

Mark Kelly said the following not much under a year ago about this very subject on this very board. Case closed I feel.

@Super Agree- can't see why there's no shelves.

No conspiracy here, although quite a creative revenue strategy, so I read with interest 

As stated before, I'm happy to meet and illustrate the planning requirements on fire safety to reassure you 

No modern stadium builds have seating in the concourses in the U.K. 

All concessions at AG have self closing shutters on activation of a fire alarm 

Mark 

2 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Maybe the supporters club should be free for a gentleman or gentle lady of a certain age , this would help them to relax and have a better pre match experience.  

That might be a good idea. They have a ticketing scheme for kids I believe so they can attend if they are facing financial hardship,  what about a few free passes for people in the same situation. Although I’m finding it a bit hard to get my head around if the same person then goes and buys a few pints???!!!:blink:

Did the people in the original post not realise it isn’t possible to sit in the concourses, and have never been able to do so?

23 hours ago, Ciderandred said:

Fantastic.

You need to take it up with the council, and not the club. The club doesn’t make the rules regarding the seats in concourses it’s the council. 

28 minutes ago, RedM said:

That might be a good idea. They have a ticketing scheme for kids I believe so they can attend if they are facing financial hardship,  what about a few free passes for people in the same situation. Although I’m finding it a bit hard to get my head around if the same person then goes and buys a few pints???!!!:blink:

Did the people in the original post not realise it isn’t possible to sit in the concourses, and have never been able to do so?

That's the thing- we've never in my memory had seats in any concourse.

This theme keeps coming up though...

@Robert the bruce

• What would the seats be constructed out of?
  • If attached to the wall, could they not in theory auto-ignite?
  • This could in theory, pose a fire risk,a  smoke risk- perhaps even if long enough a risk to the integrity of the walls they are attached to? Though I'd say that's a real outside risk in the timespan etc.

It's widely known there isn't any seating in the concourse so why turn up early expecting any different? If my grandad needed a seat I would have taken him to a pub (if we wanted to drink) or sat with him in his seat.

Not really the clubs fault you decided drinking alcohol was more important than the comfort of your 87 year old grandad. I'm assuming this is the reason as otherwise you would have sat in your seat.

I don’t get the excuses. 

The walls are made of breeze blocks. A breeze block seat skimmed on top with cement would not constitute a higher fire risk than the walls. Reducing the width of a concourse by 300/600mm is not going to cause an evacuation issue. 

Pretty sure it’s to do with marketing. You sell more pints to people stood up than when sat down. You sell more pints to people who can’t put their pint down than if you provide shelf or table. 

In my view, very poor treatment of customers. Like others, tending  to revert back to going to the pub for pre match drinking. Pity.

It’s nothing to do with marketing though as several people above have told you. What does piss me off though is it seems to be one rule for one, one for another. Go to somewhere like the Ricoh arena and the concourse is full of hospitality seating, tensabarriers dividing up bits, obstructions everywhere. The current rules only seem to apply to if you’re building something from new.

I heard the kids zone on the top floor concourse of the lansdown stand has had issues is that they’re only allowed one table up there for players to sign autographs for young fans and can’t have any tables or other objects in other areas of that concourse again because of fire regs.

6 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

I don’t get the excuses. 

The walls are made of breeze blocks. A breeze block seat skimmed on top with cement would not constitute a higher fire risk than the walls. Reducing the width of a concourse by 300/600mm is not going to cause an evacuation issue. 

Pretty sure it’s to do with marketing. You sell more pints to people stood up than when sat down. You sell more pints to people who can’t put their pint down than if you provide shelf or table. 

In my view, very poor treatment of customers. Like others, tending  to revert back to going to the pub for pre match drinking. Pity.

2 minutes ago, willadams said:

It’s nothing to do with marketing though as several people above have told you. What does piss me off though is it seems to be one rule for one, one for another. Go to somewhere like the Ricoh arena and the concourse is full of hospitality seating, tensabarriers dividing up bits, obstructions everywhere. The current rules only seem to apply to if you’re building something from new.

I heard the kids zone on the top floor concourse of the lansdown stand has had issues is that they’re only allowed one table up there for players to sign autographs for young fans and can’t have any tables or other objects in other areas of that concourse again because of fire regs.

Ah yeah. Sorry.

Didn’t realise I would spontaneously combust if I put my drink on a shelf.

Bloody Thatchers must be getting stronger.

Personally speaking, don't know anyone who drinks in the concourse for ages before the game anyway- whenever I go away or to home games, I tend to stay in the pub for a while beforehand and get in a few mins before ko.

Appreciate we all have different needs though- that notwithstanding, you'd drink in the pubs beforehand anyway IMO, much more authentic.

44 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Ah yeah. Sorry.

Didn’t realise I would spontaneously combust if I put my drink on a shelf.

Bloody Thatchers must be getting stronger.

Regardless of whether or not you believe the point about auto-ignition, the main point made in response to your complaint is that the club have not taken this decision, and therefore, the club are not putting marketing above anyone's interest.  The decision was made for them. 

It's just another example of people using any excuse they can invent to bash the club.  We wouldn't want to let facts get in the way of a good moan, though, would we!

For those who say seats can not be allowed in a concourse, here is a picture of seats at Burton’s ground in March (thankS@TETBURY MASSIVE ) 

As they automatically tip up they do not cause an obstruction. Also, I sat on one of the seats and can confirm I did not auto combust, or even get a warm bum

CC3588EB-F152-4D80-AAAC-20F2586948EE.jpeg

On 02/09/2018 at 12:31, Ciderandred said:

Fantastic.

How many football stadiums can you name, that have seating in the concourse areas..?

Archived