IGNORED

Marley Watkins

Port Said Red

Still playing catch up after injury pre season along with settling in to a new club etc. This takes time.

Having watched MW during his non league days (which wasn’t that long ago) & more recently at Inverness he makes things happen due to his warrior like style, work rate & desire as opposed to any real skill and/or technique. A nasty bugger at times as well, which I like & probably what we've needed.

He is not like a skillfull Eliasson who will beat players & whip in immaculate crosses. Watkins is a physical nuisance can play wide or uptop & is a goal threat, as proved today & during his time at Barnsley at this level. You don’t get much for a million nowadays he’ll become a reliable solid squad member for me.

2 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I think it's very harsh putting the word extremely in that sentence.

He wasn't brilliant of course, but by no means was he the worst on the pitch, or the worst in our team today.

It could well be harsh . I hope the lad does well 

1 hour ago, redcherryberry said:

Still playing catch up after injury pre season along with settling in to a new club etc. This takes time.

Having watched MW during his non league days (which wasn’t that long ago) & more recently at Inverness he makes things happen due to his warrior like style, work rate & desire as opposed to any real skill and/or technique. A nasty bugger at times as well, which I like & probably what we've needed.

He is not like a skillfull Eliasson who will beat players & whip in immaculate crosses. Watkins is a physical nuisance can play wide or uptop & is a goal threat, as proved today & during his time at Barnsley at this level. You don’t get much for a million nowadays he’ll become a reliable solid squad member for me.

LJ In Gregor’s interview notes;

There were lots of positives, weren’t there?

It was nice to get the little ‘ups’ all the time in the second-half. Marley getting his goal, and that’ll be a big goal for him because don’t forget he was out for three weeks. Marley’s a confidence player and his work rate is second to none but as far as his in-possession stuff, he’s probably better suited away from home because he needs the space to charge into. So at home we need to continue to build his confidence and make sure he understands the pattern of the team. Obviously Fam coming back is good, O’Dowda came on - good, Paterson had some nice little touches, so you couldn’t really get a better day at the office. It doesn’t mean we’ve cracked it because we’re far from where we need to be.

He scored and played in the winning team. Think everyone was good today, second half. He started all 3 games we won, and I think he brings good things in to the team. We have started winning since he plays from start. Dont say he is very very good but anyway. LJ play Watkins and Odowda on the bench. So far it have turned out well, Odowda will certainly play from start some other games. We also have the Scunny guy, competition is good for the team.

Really pleased he got his goal. This will do his confidence a power of good.

He's had a difficult year and I thought he was off the pace a bit today and lacking confidence but I think he will get stronger. He's settling in to a new team and is catching up from an injury and what with lack of game time last season I think there's a lot more to come.

Honestly thought he was awful today. Took his goal well but would expect him to score from that range. Think with a bit of confidence and more game time he can become a decent player for us. I won’t hype him up though after that game. He gave the ball away countless times, one of which almost led to a goal. When we got in to dangerous positions and the ball was given to him, he’d lose it. For me the goal papered over a very big crack. O’Dowda looked better when he came on and should get the start against Sheffield United after the break. 

I’ve watched him at home and away and I genuinely think he’s awful. Heavy touch, ponderous in possession and weak. Aside from his goal today he’s done zero. I cannot see how he keeps COD out of the side. Norwich fans know how bad he is. Ask yourself why he wasn’t playing for the Canaries. Believe me he will never be good enough. Of that I’m 100% convinced. 

51 minutes ago, Corsham Alf said:

I’ve watched him at home and away and I genuinely think he’s awful. Heavy touch, ponderous in possession and weak. Aside from his goal today he’s done zero. I cannot see how he keeps COD out of the side. Norwich fans know how bad he is. Ask yourself why he wasn’t playing for the Canaries. Believe me he will never be good enough. Of that I’m 100% convinced. 

Fair enough mate, that’s your opinion on Watkins, but I remember you also posted around a year ago that we should ‘move Korey Smith on’ as he ‘doesn't have enough pace or power for the championship’ and he ‘gives the ball away non stop’...

You also said said earlier this year that Fammy isn’t ‘pacey enough or physically imposing’ ...

Given those woefully inaccurate insights, why should anyone take your view on Watkins seriously?

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough mate, that’s your opinion on Watkins, but I remember you also posted around a year ago that we should ‘move Korey Smith on’ as he ‘doesn't have enough pace or power for the championship’ and he ‘gives the ball away non stop’...

You also said said earlier this year that Fammy isn’t ‘pacey enough or physically imposing’ ...

Given those woefully inaccurate insights, why should anyone take your view on Watkins seriously?

Its very easy to criticise. I'd prefer to see the positive. No one is perfect but rather than just binning him, how about giving him a bit of support. He is several weeks behind due to injury. He's come off the back of an unsuccessful time at Norwich which must have hit his confidence. You could genuinely see on his face what that goal meant to him.

If that goal kickstarts his career and helps him bed in then we all benefit

Average at best and apart from the crucial goal did very little else.

Not very imposing either for his height & physique and Norwich fans still bemused they sold him at a profit as very lightweight.

Put it this way C O’D the better option as was proved away at Swansea when he replaced him early on.

Plus a misplaced casual pass nearly cost us a goal today when we were behind and that would have been curtains.

1 hour ago, Swede said:

Its very easy to criticise. I'd prefer to see the positive. No one is perfect but rather than just binning him, how about giving him a bit of support. He is several weeks behind due to injury. He's come off the back of an unsuccessful time at Norwich which must have hit his confidence. You could genuinely see on his face what that goal meant to him.

If that goal kickstarts his career and helps him bed in then we all benefit

I'm with you Swede, speaking as some-one who has too many down/dark times than i would like, I just want to say give the lad support & trust LJ's judgement & faith in him.  LJ & Co have got us off to a good start so far & hopefully it will continue.

12 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

He wasn't brilliant of course, but by no means was he the worst on the pitch, or the worst in our team today.

I think it's very harsh putting ' poor '  in that sentence.

' MW was extremely ' would have been more intriguing.

The level of player at Ashton Gate these days is jaw dropping. We've seen some right tosh at our club in the past but if Watkins can start above other players then he must have really got something about him .

One thing is certain, you perform or you're out . Pato only made a token appearance today whereas before he was an ever present.

We are in a good place at the club.

12 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I think it's very harsh putting ' poor '  in that sentence.

' MW was extremely ' would have been more intriguing.

The level of player at Ashton Gate these days is jaw dropping. We've seen some right tosh at our club in the past but if Watkins can start above other players then he must have really got something about him .

One thing is certain, you perform or you're out . Pato only made a token appearance today whereas before he was an ever present.

We are in a good place at the club.

9 hours ago, Corsham Alf said:

You are right of course, because never in the history of football has a player failed at one club only rediscover his form and confidence at another. Might as well pay him off now.

31 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

You are right of course, because never in the history of football has a player failed at one club only rediscover his form and confidence at another. Might as well pay him off now.

Especially under a manager who knows him and has worked with him when he was at his best.

8 hours ago, Corsham Alf said:

I’m talking about Watkins here. What makes you think he’s good enough??

And on what do you base your theory that he’s rubbish on?   He’s played less than 7 games ffs..........you must be as clever and perceptive as BobbobSuperBob if you can assess a player when you’ve hardly seen him play...................:cool2:

14 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Personally I thought he was poor again, apart from the goal, which was a great team goal struggling to see what he brings to the side? Not a bashing by all means and hope he comes good but would much rather play O’Dowda.

work rate,

alot of the players we have now are hard workers

Technically speaking strikes me as a distinctly average player, however he offers support to the attacking full back down the right hand side and I imagine he is in the team week after week as he does exactly as LJ says. A player who will come in and just do the job thats asked of them to the T even if they do not do anything too flash. 

COD hasn't played badly but neither has he rediscovered the form he had pre-injury, one would like to think this is LJ's method of throwing down the gauntlet to him. I don't doubt that if Callum comes off the bench to have some stormers whilst also doing what is necessary defensively with an often marauding full back such as Hunt he will be starting future matches. 

Heres hoping that soon Hakeeb or Callum uproot him because currently ability wise he seems League 1 level at best. 

He didn’t set the world alight yesterday, and the goal covers over a fair bit of wasteful play, with CO’D and Eliasson doing him no favours by both looking like very dynamic wingers in their time on the pitch.

BUT he is new here, and like the aforementioned CO’D and Eliasson, may just need time to settle.

Plus points are that he gives us depth and clearly is working hard to try and make an impression, and while I’m yet to see anything to suggest he’ll dazzle us, a team sometimes needs squad members who are willing to grind it out.

Happy to give him time, and tbf to him has been part of a team who’ve won three on the bounce, and that’s not nothing.

I watched Watkins quite a few times when he was at Barnsley and all these comments about his heavy touch and poor technique were true then and are true now. I always thought he looked like a really poor player with them. BUT, he always seemed to get results- maybe not through footballing ability, but through 100% effort and knowing how to use the tools he does have. I can't remember many players at this level who looked as poor but got such good results. I think we'll find that here too. It won't look great, but at the end of the season we'll look back and realise that he's a very solid contributor

Archived