IGNORED

Player Ratings - Home v Blackburn 4-1

Davefevs

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

@Davefevs

I understand the hard work Watkins puts in but I just think O’Dowda does the same with a bit more threat with the ball. I know he scored but thought he was poor overall. COD come on and provided as much work rate with more class on the ball but Blackburn were a bit more open at that point I will admit.

Watkins may just be unlucky. We had no clue Eliasson would come this far. We knew there was a player in there but I get buying Watkins so him and COD could play allowing Brownhill to stay central. Adelakun was probably meant to be the competition for Eliasson. So at this point Watkins seems a bit redundant but if COD is injured then he is a great option to have to not change up our spine. 

Funnily enough, I gave Watkins a 6, O’Dowda a 7, because I though COD was better in the time he was on.  What I was trying to get across was that I don’t think Watkins was either poor, unfit, etc like some posters think he was today.  People are inconsistent in how they rate each player.  One players mistake is over-criticised, whereas a favoured players mistake is a blip.  Some players will get a 9 just for scoring but Watkins gets no credit for his goal today or some clever exchanges with Hunt.  He wasn’t brilliant, and you’re right, O’Dowda might be the better option in our eyes....but I bet you LJ etc will be seeing stuff that we aren’t.

I compared him a bit to Dave Smith in the week, mainly that neither were great technically, but Smith’s power and pace was so effective, unlike Gavin’s skill and guile on the other.  I wonder whether Watkins gives the balance to having Eliasson in the other flank.

Certainly don’t think Watkins has set the world on fire, but he might just be the team player LJ wants.

57 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Sorry, two things, 1 he was clearly being fouled and that dick in black couldn't see it. 2. What do you mean continues to look shaky, I think he has looked anything but since day 1?

57 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

No he failed to react at all was completely at fault 

Which one lads. I couldn't tell (I was ball watching :laugh:)?

8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Oh Joe, you’re normally such a reliable judge!

I just don’t get the love in for Maenpaa to be honest. 

Against QPR he passed to a striker 30 yards from goal. The defence recovered.

Against QPR he suffered a rush of blood and came out with a sliding tackle leaving QPR with an open goal. The striker missed terribly. 

Today he let in a goal direct from a corner and had a backpass he pondered on for too long and got charged down. 

I can only come to the conclusion that because these mistakes aren’t being punished, people are tending to forget about them. 

Tbf I had forgot about QPR! He has had some moments I guess. I was telling my missus that he just looks the part and that probably sways me a bit(and others). FF just looks a bit clumsy and unathletic which is unfair because he isn’t.

Not sure there is much between them but think he has won people over more because of the summer. Linked with a few top keepers and only brought in NM. The fact he has come out and caught crosses and kept balls in play. I do feel an air of more safety with him thusfar though. Also, we have not seen FF without Flint before either so that is still an unanswered question whereas we have now seen NM perform well enough with an entirely new back 4. Will be tough for FF to win back a lot of the fanbase. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Funnily enough, I gave Watkins a 6, O’Dowda a 7, because I though COD was better in the time he was on.  What I was trying to get across was that I don’t think Watkins was either poor, unfit, etc like some posters think he was today.  People are inconsistent in how they rate each player.  One players mistake is over-criticised, whereas a favoured players mistake is a blip.  Some players will get a 9 just for scoring but Watkins gets no credit for his goal today or some clever exchanges with Hunt.  He wasn’t brilliant, and you’re right, O’Dowda might be the better option in our eyes....but I bet you LJ etc will be seeing stuff that we aren’t.

I compared him a bit to Dave Smith in the week, mainly that neither were great technically, but Smith’s power and pace was so effective, unlike Gavin’s skill and guile on the other.  I wonder whether Watkins gives the balance to having Eliasson in the other flank.

Certainly don’t think Watkins has set the world on fire, but he might just be the team player LJ wants.

OH YEAH!

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Nothing wrong with a bit of man love mate. 

I just think he had a good season last time round - he kept us in many, many games, but people seemed to blame our horrendous form in the second half of the season on him - admittedly he did have a bad game against Hull(?)

But in Maenpaa we seem to have a keeper who’s making more regular mistakes than FF ever did, but they’re being ignore for one of two reasons;

(a) because he’s a bit taller, or

(b) because he’s getting away with them. 

Instead he’s being hailed as some sort of Peter Schmiechel type god. 

FF did have a good season last season.

I’ve seen Mäenpää in all league games so far (either live, sky or a stream) and I think he has enough of an all round game (strengths and weaknesses) to be a better choice than FF.  there isn’t much between them, but you highlight a dodgy kick and a rush of blood v QPR, I’d probably add save from Washington from 7 yards, and good handling from Eze, etc for balance.

Very intangible to be sure, but I sense our defenders feel he’ll come and bail them out in the 6 yard box for aerial stuff.

Just now, Fordy62 said:

I just think he had a good season last time round - he kept us in many, many games, but people seemed to blame our horrendous form in the second half of the season on him - admittedly he did have a bad game against Hull(?)

But in Maenpaa we seem to have a keeper who’s making more regular mistakes than FF ever did, but they’re being ignore for one of two reasons;

For me I would agree with the highlighted portion up to the end of February and Bolton away when he had a shocker and from that moment on he made some great saves, but he had some very rash moments, a lot of nervous moments (when he put extra pressure on defenders when not coming for the ball when he would be expected to) and his kicking just got worse and worse and by April the novelty of him for me was wearing incredibly thin and in our last game at home against Sheff Utd when he managed to slice a dead ball free kick straight into touch, I began to realise that my TV screen was becoming in increasing danger from a foreign object.

But hey you love him and that's your unalienable right.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

FF did have a good season last season.

I’ve seen Mäenpää in all league games so far (either live, sky or a stream) and I think he has enough of an all round game (strengths and weaknesses) to be a better choice than FF.  there isn’t much between them, but you highlight a dodgy kick and a rush of blood v QPR, I’d probably add save from Washington from 7 yards, and good handling from Eze, etc for balance.

Very intangible to be sure, but I sense our defenders feel he’ll come and bail them out in the 6 yard box for aerial stuff.

I’m not denying he didn’t save from 7 yards against Washington, but it would have been more difficult to not save it. I’m not inclined to give credit to keepers for regulation saves that they ought to make. I’ve not really seen Maenpaa make a save that I thought he shouldn’t have dealt with comfortably yet. But we’ve got several more weeks until FF returns so we’ll see. 

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m not denying he didn’t save from 7 yards against Washington, but it would have been more difficult to not save it. I’m not inclined to give credit to keepers for regulation saves that they ought to make. I’ve not really seen Maenpaa make a save that I thought he shouldn’t have dealt with comfortably yet. But we’ve got several more weeks until FF returns so we’ll see. 

Just saying like (as they say).

• Johnson saw Niki Mäenpää’s save when Rovers were 1-0 up as a potentially defining moment in the game.

31 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Really harsh as his save when they were on top in the first half really kept us in it.

I think we have become so used to average keepers, we now have unrealistic expectations on what a good one should do - every keeper will make slips; I think Maenpaa fills me with more hope than many did after a handful of games looking back nearly 10 years.

36 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Not getting dragged intoa Maenpaa or Fielding argument as one’s not fit and of any use at the moment but what I will say is it will be interesting to see how Frank copes without Flint to head everything away when he returns.

1 minute ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Really harsh as his save when they were on top in the first half really kept us in it.

I think we have become so used to average keepers, we now have unrealistic expectations on what a good one should do - every keeper will make slips; I think Maenpaa fills me with more hope than many did after a handful of games looking back nearly 10 years.

But it wasn’t exactly a worldy. Important yes, but you’re disappointed if he doesn’t save it. 

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Not getting dragged into. Maenpaa or Fielding argument as one’s not fit Nd of any use at the moment but what I will say is it will be interesting to see how Frank copes without Flint to head everything away when he returns.

I think Frank will be on the bench, so you may not see how he copes!

As for our two goalies, neither in my view is a top Championship goalie, but they are both competent ones at this level, with different strengths and weaknesses. I had forgotten how good it is to see a goalie claim a ball swung in. Equally, FF is probably the better shot stopper, although even then sometimes he seems to see a low hard shot from distance a fraction later than some others.

Every goalie makes mistakes, even £66m ones, the question is how many. For instance I thought their goalie could have had our first, and should have had our third.

51 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

All about opinions.

You could argue that Mäenpää is making regulation saves because his positioning is good. 

It will be interesting when both are fit though.

My 2 pennies; Watkins looks like he's searching for form and lacking in confidence a bit, but suspect if there is a player in there LJ will find it. Maennpaa looked like he slipped / was fouled as if he was on his feet the corner goal comes straight to him. Also, was it not Eliasson on the front post, not Hunt? Re Eliasson, big improvement this season but would still like to see him be a bit more positive in one on ones. Kelly looked like what he is today, a potentially class act who is still young and inexperienced and hence was caught out of position on the odd occasion. Overall we were always dangerous but defensively poor first half, solid in the second and hence clear winners in the end.

LikedMowbray's comment too about how they should have been 3-0 up at half time. Apart from our goal of course.

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Maenpaa 7 usual assured performance and fouled for their goal

Hunt 8 best game yet

Kalas 8 solid

Webster 7 few to many punts down field for me

Kelly 6 lost it for a while in first half, better second half

Bowhill 7 marked up for the goal

Pack 7 marked up for the second half performance and goal

Watkins 7 few heavy touches but always involved and got a goal

Eliason 8 excellent game and getting better

Taylor 7 worked his socks off and constantly pulling their defence all over the place

Weiman 7 as per taylor

O'dowda 7 effected the game when coming on

Famara 7 as per O'dowda

Patterson n/a only had a few minutes

Ref 3 first half 6 second half after stopping trying to be involved in the game. Couple of decent blocks on Pack mind. 

Johnson 8 turned it around second half and 100% with the subs.

For your first post that is a cracking assessment, well done.

I look forward to more input from you. But could turn and bollock you as well ?

And especially with regards to the Blackburn goal. Good spot. I was eyes on the whole thing and our keeper was seriously impeded/fouled/obstructed by the Blackburn player (no:7?), and that no doubt contributed to the goal. 

So no, not a goal keeping error for me.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Well, that was a far more open game than I was expecting!!  Blackburn lining up with a 442, with Armstrong and Graham up top and Palmer and Bennett wide.  Their three man midfield of Evans, Smallwood and referee David Webb certainly caused Pack to have his worst game of the season.

Ratings - not easy because we we so sloppy for 25 minutes in first half, and so dominant second half.

Maenpaa - 6 - caught out for the goal, which I really think Mulgrew meant (he had a little look before taking), but made a crucial save 1-on-1 with Armstrong....think it was still 0-1 at that point (Kalas was tripped).

Hunt - 8 - best game in a City shirt so far.  Full of running, adventure and clipped the bar following a good move with Watkins.  Fantastic drilled ball into Taylor for the first goal, where he was fouled.  Kept Palmer at bay, forcing him inside and played some great balls forward in second half.  This was the kind of performance I've seen at Wednesday.

Kelly - 6 - started off with 3 sublime touches and although made some encouraging runs forward thought at times the experience of Elliot Bennett showed and he was given a tough afternoon.  What I did like was that the second time Bennett tried a spin inside (first time he got done and fouled him), Kelly had learned, didn’t get too tight and read it perfectly to come away with the ball.

Kalas - 6 - didn’t think he was anywhere near as good as last week and the movement of DG and AA caused him problems. Obviously fouled by AA which led to the 1-on-1, and got whacked by DG too.  Good goal line clearance in second half.

Webster - 8 - starting to like his performances.  Was the assured partner today, putting his body on the line with blocks on 3 occasions.  Thought he mopped up in behind Kalas really well today and looks a threat from set pieces.  Encouraging signs.

Watkins - 6 - he’s gonna divide opinion!!  He is not easy on the eye, but I bet LJ appreciates his effort more than us fans.  Works hard, and kept Bell tight to allow Hunt space, and Weimann and Taylor to run off of him.  Got the important second goal with a calm finish and helped Hunt defensively too.  He has some heavy touches but think he’s gonna be a regular who will get enough goals to keep me happy.

O’Dowda - 7 - looked very lively and made a very good contribution when replacing Watkins.  Will get his chance and will need to take it.

Pack - 6 - beast of a first half, although tightly marked by ref Webb on countless occasions.  Still tried, and as captain much better in second half, where he kept it a bit simpler and allowed JB to do the clever stuff.  And yet he still got his goal, a good header having to re-adjust from the skim off defenders head.

Brownhill - 8 - very good performance, and vital goal before half-time.  Thought he really broke the lines today, especially second half.  Him and MP are forming a very good pairing.  The little give and go’s with MT, AW and FD are so difficult to defend.

Eliasson - 9 - just shaded MOTM for me.  Was in the game all game and although up against what I thought was a very tidy, quick and athletic RB (Nyambe).  Some delicious crosses and his set pieces will deliver goals across the season.  When he came over to our side (Lansdown) in second half he gave a Rovers torrid time.  So good to see him finally deliver this season.

Weimann - 6 - not his day today, although fine point-blank save in opening 5 minutes to stop him going 6/6.  Willing runner but didn’t come off for him today.  Simple assist for Diedhiou, and his clever runs in second half led to many a counter attack.  Has that ability to come short and find space to then turn and face-up his marker.

Paterson - not on long enough to rate

Taylor - 8 - just missed out on my MOTM.  Worked the Rovers CBs so well today, and harshly adjudged to have fouled Lenihan when through in first half.  Sublime chest pass (ala Joe Jordan) for Watkins goal, and brought a good save from Raya from 15 yards.  Deserved to keep his place, and we now have 3 functioning strikers.

Diedhiou - 7 - certainly was chomping at the bit.  Continued where MT left off and was too physical for their CBs.  Nice goal, keeper might be disappointed, but a welcome return.

Referee - Webb - 0/10 as a ref, 7/10 as Blackburn’s DM.  Absolutely horrible refereeing performance.

Pretty much agree Dave. I think Maenpaa and Kalas both give Webster confidence, and it's no coincidence that he's got better with Kalas alongside him the past two games. I didn't think he did too much wrong, despite having a harder game than last week, and probably a 7. Haven't seen the replay for the goal and I guess if he was fouled then I''d give Maenpaa a 7 overall too. Kelly: first minute, that one touch to bring down a tricky ball, then play that perfect pass to Elliasson - that was such class. 7 just for that! I think our defence was good today.

Ref: you forget that his performance was not just defensive - he won Blackburn a corner in the first half too - an 8 for me!

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Nikki 5 was at fault for the goal and continues to look shaky 

hunt 7 did a good job on the right

kalas 7 solid

webber 8 good range of passing and good in the air

kelly 6 still finding his feet

watkins 5 average at best

brownhill 6 caught in position a bit

pack 4 goal a side he was simply the worst player on the pitch

ellisan 7 threat throughout and despite es not seeing his crosses crossed well and was a real threat

taylor 6 a pain in the arse for Blackburn all game 

weinman 6 quiet game good assist for the goal

subs

cod 6 did well

fammy 7 looked great when he came on 

Patterson 5 not on long enough to really rate him so gave him 5

How did we win  the game with those ratings ffs

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Frankie looks a bit quicker to get down to saves but Nikki is as affective.

Overall package NM just shades it for me .

Love Frankie though. 

FF is a lovely bloke, and good enough keeper, and a great character  but NM has been pretty amazing seeing he has hardly played in how many years?

Didn't look fouled for their goal, to me even though i've heard those with a better view say he was.

No, overall i;ve been very impressed with the guy.

Archived