IGNORED

Dropping Matty Taylor

Marina's Rolls Royce

So Fammy comes on like a battering ram and scores within a couple of minutes.

Meanwhile, Matty Taylor has shown in the past few games why LJ has stuck with him and what a fully fit Taylor can do- and that's a lot . He's such a pain in the ass to opposing defenders and pulls people out of position and , imo, is a joy to watch.

I know he doesn't get an assist for Brownhill's brilliant goal but he really deserved one! Matty offers something different up front in his general play although doesn't look like the prolific scorer that Fammy does. The difference being that although Fammy usually looks like he's going to score and offers that big presence up top, his general play is not as good as Taylor.

I think he'll get better with games, providing assists and goals but Fammy will strike fear into the heart of most defences and will score goals. 

I find it really difficult to contemplate dropping Matty but equally so- not starting Fammy. Who's your choice for the impact sub and why?

22 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Meanwhile, Matty Taylor has shown in the past few games why LJ has stuck with him and what a fully fit Taylor can do- and that's a lot . He's such a pain in the ass to opposing defenders and pulls people out of position and , imo, is a joy to watch.

I know he doesn't get an assist for Brownhill's brilliant goal but he really deserved one! Matty offers something different up front in his general play although doesn't look like the prolific scorer that Fammy does. The difference being that although Fammy usually looks like he's going to score and offers that big presence up top, his general play is not as good as Taylor.

I think he'll get better with games, providing assists and goals but Fammy will strike fear into the heart of most defences and will score goals. 

I find it really difficult to contemplate dropping Matty but equally so- not starting Fammy. Who's your choice for the impact sub and why?

It could just depend on the opposition.

What is exciting is that any two from FD, AW or MT can play together.

Start the next game with Famara but be more eager to bring on Taylor when things aren't working imo. 

Famara's height and presences benefits the whole team. The crosses Eliasson has been wippin in for us to fall mildy short makes me wonder if Famara would get to them. 

1 minute ago, josh95 said:

4-2-3-1 AW-MT-NE  behind FD ?

Take your top scorer whose scored as many this season as last season playing on the wing and moved to us to get away from playing on the wing and stick him back out there? I'm sure he'd be very happy with that.

16 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

It's interesting that you ask. 

Not being privy to training ground form and the nuances of team harmony and individual relationships and what goes on up Failand and so on, and not knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the Sheff Utd defence and the most likely way to cause them problems, it would be foolish of me to take up your invitation.

I am surprised that you ask such a question.

• Admin

What I found noticeable yesterday was as soon as Fam came on the Blackburn defenders were instantly keen to get rid of it when dealing with balls up front.

Prior to his introduction they had seemed confident in their ability to hold off Taylor or Weimann and comfortably play the ball out to full backs or midfielders, the very first time a ball went up with Fam chasing it down the CB played it straight out for a throw.

I believe simply having a bigger presence up front able to harass them, got in their heads and helped us turnover possession.

Stick with Taylor, he is in good form and is only just finding match fitness himself - played brilliantly yesterday and is a very unselfish team player. For me he has earnt the right to start alongside Weimann.

Fammy looked dangerous off the bench, but until he regains match fitness he should continue to come on as a fresh and different option. I believe the 2 short tricky strikers appears to be beginning to gel and why change a winning formula? After chasing Taylor and Weimann around for the first hour of any game, I'm sure most defences would dread seeing a big physical striker like Diedhou being subbed on. I also think while Fammy may get more goals than Taylor, I think Taylor will create more goals for the rest of the team (Watkins goals yesterday for example) and we may be a stronger overall team keeping with Taylor.

Either way, I don't think a complete reshuffle of the team and formation is the solution and chiselling players in to unfamiliar positions is certainly not the answer (like England in the gerrard Lampard scholes era). It's just nice to think after Reid's departure that we are in a situation that we have a dilemma where we have more quality strikers than we can get into a starting 11.

39 minutes ago, Ian M said:

What I found noticeable yesterday was as soon as Fam came on the Blackburn defenders were instantly keen to get rid of it when dealing with balls up front.

Prior to his introduction they had seemed confident in their ability to hold off Taylor or Weimann and comfortably play the ball out to full backs or midfielders, the very first time a ball went up with Fam chasing it down the CB played it straight out for a throw.

I believe simply having a bigger presence up front able to harass them, got in their heads and helped us turnover possession.

The other side of the coin is that Taylor and Weimann are very good at blocking the opposition's passing lanes, as LJ said after the Swansea game. So they add extra value, especially in away games, that Fammy might not.

A nice problem for LJ to have.

Think it is great we have options, last season the team were knackered by Xmas, so this season once we get in to the Saturday / Tuesday routine I can see several positions being shared to keep our pressing style fresh. That includes Taylor and Diedchoux, as both are effective. Add Hunt / Pisano, Kelly / DaSilva, ODowda/ Watkins etc etc

The point is both players named for each position are good in their own right, are not second stringers

The one area we are light is central midfield with only Walsh as cover for Pack and Brownhill, but maybe we can address that in January , for once.

I think we should stick with what is winning at the moment, but would be fascinated to see how we would get on in the Chelsea mould of last season, with baker or bailey fit  

Nikki

Webster.   Kalas.   Baker. 

Hunt.      Brown hill.    Pack.    Elliason. 

Weimann.     Taylor. 

Fammy. 

Too agressive? 

during course of season there will be knocks, suspensions and the like, you will need to call on all your strikers to play alongside each other , at the moment those with the shirt should rightly keep it. 

Stating the obvious, barring knocks illness etc he has to keep it about the same for Sheff Utd.   Would not expect anything else.  

38 minutes ago, redmelsh said:

I think we should stick with what is winning at the moment, but would be fascinated to see how we would get on in the Chelsea mould of last season, with baker or bailey fit  

Nikki

Weimann.     Taylor. 

Fammy. 

Too agressive? 

Too lopsided. 

I like Eliasson a lot and the defensive side of his game has improved but we would be battered down that side. 

No way Kelly should be dropped for Baker at the moment, either. 

Agree with your opening comment about keeping the current winning side though. Taylor has played a part in all three games and it sends entirely the wrong message to drop him now. 

After "Saving Private Ryan", Spielberg is embarking on his next war film, about the Allies' Plan to parachute a snake behind enemy lines in D-Day in order to frustrate and disrupt the defenders efforts  - "Dropping Matty Taylor"

3 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Matty Taylor to start

Bring the battering ram on with 30 mins to go

Simple 

Fam, whilst looking good looked a little bit rusty around the edges. I’d be inclined to give him another half an hour off the bench, then sadly for Taylor he would be dropping to the bench. Let’s be honest he had done well, but you have to go with your best options, and I get the feeling that it will be Weimann and Fam. 

In fairness it’s still going to be a long season, and all three will combine in different ways as the squad needs to be utilised.

2 hours ago, redmelsh said:

Nikki

Weimann.     Taylor. 

Fammy. 

Too agressive? 

Good but where's kelly?

MT has been instrumental in our best run of form for a fair old while. To change the line up uneccessarily would be wrong imho and I would think that it may upset the dressing room a little. Taylor himself would have every right to feel aggrieved and I don’t think LJ will do it tbf. Stick with it for now and see how we go.   Nice problem to have mind. 

A lot can happen over a 2 week international break.

Is Kalas a Czech international, and has he been called up?

I know Mäenpää hasn’t been called up by Finland, nor Weimann by Austria.  Let them rest up.

My biggest worry is Kelly getting injured, or coming back tired...perhaps him and DaSilva can share the load.

Hegeler might be nearing fitness soon too, so giving us a bit more depth.

Its a tricky one, Famara- Taylor. We have won 3 games now and Taylor have started in everyone. He has been good, Famara is a great player in another way. Stick with Taylor next game from start, Famara on 30 minutes left. Yesterday, Eliasson, Taylor, Watkins and goal. We really have good forwards, thinking of Esia too. We also have the Scunny player who I think is really good. Weimann could also in some games start at the bench,  nice with options. Nice that our midfielders scored yesterday by the way.

3 hours ago, Ian M said:

I think that Fammy is such a big brutal unit that you're probably right albeit that he came on at 2-1 up so maybe to an extent the Blackburn defence were already on the back foot. Matty seems to do more work off the ball and has a great overall work rate.

I think , imo etc, that perhaps for the time being MT to start with Fammy introduced later on as in what @slartibartfast thinks. One criticism about LJ last season ( for me) was that he often left it too late for his substitutions to make a real difference. It was good to see FD & COD introduced early and kill off the game- another thing we lacked last season.

It's been some time since we've had three really decent forwards competing for two places so that's great for us. Considering we sold Bobby, it's reassuring that so far at least, we don't seem to miss him too much.

Archived