IGNORED

Dropping Matty Taylor

Marina's Rolls Royce

5 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

So Fammy comes on like a battering ram and scores within a couple of minutes.

Meanwhile, Matty Taylor has shown in the past few games why LJ has stuck with him and what a fully fit Taylor can do- and that's a lot . He's such a pain in the ass to opposing defenders and pulls people out of position and , imo, is a joy to watch.

I know he doesn't get an assist for Brownhill's brilliant goal but he really deserved one! Matty offers something different up front in his general play although doesn't look like the prolific scorer that Fammy does. The difference being that although Fammy usually looks like he's going to score and offers that big presence up top, his general play is not as good as Taylor.

I think he'll get better with games, providing assists and goals but Fammy will strike fear into the heart of most defences and will score goals. 

I find it really difficult to contemplate dropping Matty but equally so- not starting Fammy. Who's your choice for the impact sub and why?

Start with Fammy and wear the defenders down and then unleash Taylor for last 20 to create chaos is what I would do but there is a case to play Taylor from Start away from home also

34 minutes ago, Offside said:

I think Taylor deserves to keep his place. He played really well on Sunday and seems to be benefitting from having a run of games.

I'm with you. Those in possession of the shirt, if winning and doing well, should keep the shirt. Regardless of who is waiting in the wings.

After saying a few weeks back that I thought he was finished here, I've been really, really impressed with Matty.

Unlucky not to score himself, and so unselfish for Watkins' goal.

Defo not to be dropped, for me.

5 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

It's interesting that you ask. 

Not being privy to training ground form and the nuances of team harmony and individual relationships and what goes on up Failand and so on, and not knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the Sheff Utd defence and the most likely way to cause them problems, it would be foolish of me to take up your invitation.

I am surprised that you ask such a question.

And on a fans forum of all places! It's shameful @Marina's Rolls Royce I hope you are disgusted with yourself, I know I am. What were you thinking! 

I would like us to play

gk

rcb ccb lcb

rwb lam nbm ram lwb

alb oaogs

simple game plan

if rwb got the ball lwb drops to left back(just look at your feet no ball drop back)

nbm takes a defensive midfield our side of the halfway line

so upfront you have rwb lam and ram alb and oaogs

4 minutes ago, reddoh said:

I would like us to play

gk

lcb ccb rcb

rwb lam nbm ram lwb

alb oaogs

simple game plan

if rwb got the ball lwb drops to left back(just look at your feet no ball drop back)

nbm takes a defensive midfield our side of the halfway line

so upfront you have rwb lam and ram alb and oaogs

Ok, thought you’d been on the Source!

oaogs - out and out goal scorer?

alb???

• Admin
2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I think that Fammy is such a big brutal unit that you're probably right albeit that he came on at 2-1 up so maybe to an extent the Blackburn defence were already on the back foot. Matty seems to do more work off the ball and has a great overall work rate.

I think , imo etc, that perhaps for the time being MT to start with Fammy introduced later on as in what @slartibartfast thinks. One criticism about LJ last season ( for me) was that he often left it too late for his substitutions to make a real difference. It was good to see FD & COD introduced early and kill off the game- another thing we lacked last season.

It's been some time since we've had three really decent forwards competing for two places so that's great for us. Considering we sold Bobby, it's reassuring that so far at least, we don't seem to miss him too much.

Not just up front, I remember looking at who was on the bench at HT & thought that’s a very strong bench considering we’ve been in the midst of an injury crisis and many wanted another 2 or 3 signings.

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Once Adelukan's back, LJ will have another similar problem, Adelukan, Eliasson, COD, Patto and Watkins for 2 places? NE is unplayable at the mo and has to stay in barring injury or a drop in form so it's 4 after 1 place isn't it? 

Given the way LJ sets up his teams, both the wingers and the full backs do a lot of mileage. I wasn’t surprised that he increased the numbers in these positions over the Summer and I expect we will see a bit of rotation through the season. I know Eliasson is undroppable at the moment but I’d rather he was rested for 1 game in 6 (like he has done so far) than risk running him into the ground.

I think the reason we are not missing Bobby is because Taylor is playing a very similar role to the role Bobby played for us, minus the goals but I think the more games he plays the goals will naturally follow. 

He is looking incredibly fit this season and has fully integrated into the squad, his work rate is second to none. Whilst I'd like him to score a few more I do appreciate all the work he does without the ball. He is a constant menace for the opposition defence. He kept putting their GK under pressure yesterday which resulted in the GK panicking and making dodgy clearances with us regaining possession.

On 03/09/2018 at 16:15, phantom said:

Somehow find a way to play all three? 

I hate it when managers bottle a decision and do that.  Playing all 3 should be an option late in the game if a goal is needed but to play all 3 from the start would mean too many changes to team structure with the only benefit I can see being to keep one ego happy.... 

23 hours ago, redmelsh said:

I think we should stick with what is winning at the moment, but would be fascinated to see how we would get on in the Chelsea mould of last season, with baker or bailey fit  

Nikki

Webster.   Kalas.   Baker. 

Hunt.      Brown hill.    Pack.    Elliason. 

Weimann.     Taylor. 

Fammy. 

Too agressive? 

Try it on football manager.  If it's successful then it should definitely be done..

I don't see it as dropping. I see it as keeping everyone involved fresh throughout the season, and rewarding players that perform well with adequate rest to continue doing well later into the season.

We've had countless problems with dropping off in January. Hopefully this will give us some consistency when other teams are lagging.

2 hours ago, EnderMB said:

I don't see it as dropping. I see it as keeping everyone involved fresh throughout the season, and rewarding players that perform well with adequate rest to continue doing well later into the season.

We've had countless problems with dropping off in January. Hopefully this will give us some consistency when other teams are lagging.

I think different carrots will be dangled for different players, or at least giving certain players expectations.

Looking back at Boro, a lot of us thought Eliasson was very unlucky to have been left out, yet LJ might have said “it’s just one game, you’ve earned your spot, but I want you fresh for QPR and Swansea, you will definitely start irrespective of what player x does”. Player x might’ve been told the same story "Niclas is no1, but I need to rest him, if you play well and Nickas’s form drops, you’ll be straight in”.  Players must know they can’t play every game, but they also need to know where they stand when part of a rotation.

23 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think different carrots will be dangled for different players, or at least giving certain players expectations.

Looking back at Boro, a lot of us thought Eliasson was very unlucky to have been left out, yet LJ might have said “it’s just one game, you’ve earned your spot, but I want you fresh for QPR and Swansea, you will definitely start irrespective of what player x does”. Player x might’ve been told the same story "Niclas is no1, but I need to rest him, if you play well and Nickas’s form drops, you’ll be straight in”.  Players must know they can’t play every game, but they also need to know where they stand when part of a rotation.

This is true - I was reading an interview with Steve Sidwell today and he was discussing his short Chelsea spell. Highlighted how good Mourinho was even though JM was struggling at the time, telling him ten days before his debut that he wouldn’t be involved in the next game, but come what may would start vs Newcastle at home. Sidwell knew what was coming and focused on the next game, knowing where he stood.

Theres no cause to play all three at once. Just make sure everyone knows where they stand

I am no fan of Taylor, but I would stick with the same starting XI . Let Fam build his fitness slowly and use him as an impact Sub in the meantime. Handy having a big , strong, willing runner , who's a real goal threat to come on. It might even get Taylor scoring, given a longer run.We have 3 fit strikers, they will have to be managed carefully .

On 04/09/2018 at 20:16, MarcusX said:

Don’t change a winning team, unfortunately Fammy will have to wait his turn by coming on and impressing

I'd drop him for the Sheffield game to be fair nothing to do with ability him being a gas head or anything,

I feel against untied we'll need a more physical presence up front

Archived