IGNORED

Goals and Assists - League Only (Obviously)

Davefevs

Just looking at Transfermarkt and guessing what they’ll do re yesterday’s goals:

Hunt 0 + 1

Eliasson 0 + 3 (I’m giving him Pack’s, seeing he didn’t get the Swansea assist)

Brownhill 1 + 2

Pack 1 + 1

Watkins 1 + 0

Weimann 5 + 1

Taylor 1 + 1 (can’t give him the assist for being fouled for Brownhill’s goal)

Paterson 1 + 0

Diedhiou 1 + 0

This early in the season that’s spreading it around nicely.

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just looking at Transfermarkt and guessing what they’ll do re yesterday’s goals:

Hunt 0 + 1

Brownhill 1 + 2

Pack 1 + 1

Watkins 1 + 0

Weimann 5 + 1

Paterson 1 + 0

Diedhiou 1 + 0

I'd love it if he could- I was in row 3 Lower Lansdown just metres away and although definitely no dive-it was a beautifully taken foul.

10 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

7 goalscorers this early on is good to see.

On BTs live show when the games are on o Saturdays they made a point of saying how one of the goalscorers was Sheffield Uniteds 8th different scorer this season.

I'm hopeful of an Eliasson goal soon, his play so far this season has merited one.

It's gotta be on its way- so close yesterday. Also will just build on what is really positive early season displays.

In the SC double season - wasn't it virtually every player on the score sheet?

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I'd love it if he could- I was in row 3 Lower Lansdown just metres away and although definitely no dive-it was a beautifully taken foul.

It's gotta be on its way- so close yesterday. Also will just build on what is really positive early season displays.

In the SC double season - wasn't it virtually every player on the score sheet?

Just Frankie who played didn't score I believe, which led to joking calls for him to take the penalty in the Walsall game.

11 minutes ago, hodge said:

Just Frankie who played didn't score I believe, which led to joking calls for him to take the penalty in the Walsall game.

Yep

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Every outfield player including loanees (even Matt Smith,  and he was awful ?) IIRC

Think Korey was the only outfield player to not score in the league....got his two in one game....Cheltenham.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Hunt 0 + 1

Brownhill 1 + 2

Pack 1 + 1

Watkins 1 + 0

Weimann 5 + 1

Paterson 1 + 0

Diedhiou 1 + 0

I think you may find you are being a tad harsh on taylor in the game he scored he also had a hand in the other two goals as I only saw the highlights I cannot comment on the rest of the game

16 minutes ago, reddoh said:

I think you may find you are being a tad harsh on taylor in the game he scored he also had a hand in the other two goals as I only saw the highlights I cannot comment on the rest of the game

He didn’t get a true assist though.  He had the hockey-assist for Weimann’s first, laying it down the line to Eliasson who crossed for the header.  The other goal was Brownhill’s endeavour I think.

Transfemarkt are very harsh on giving Assists.  The Fantasy Football stuff would’ve given Taylor the assist yesterday for Brownhill’s FK..

Just now, Davefevs said:

He didn’t get a true assist though.  He had the hockey-assist for Weimann’s first, laying it down the line to Eliasson who crossed for the header.  The other goal was Brownhill’s endeavour I think.

Transfemarkt are very harsh on giving Assists.  The Fantasy Football stuff would’ve given Taylor the assist yesterday for Brownhill’s FK..

as I say Taylor had a part in each goal if an assist is just the penultimate touch then yes I agree with you but I am sure that there are many players that have split the defense for another player to make the cross to the guy/gal to score, should they not get a bit of credit? 

3 minutes ago, reddoh said:

as I say Taylor had a part in each goal if an assist is just the penultimate touch then yes I agree with you but I am sure that there are many players that have split the defense for another player to make the cross to the guy/gal to score, should they not get a bit of credit? 

I know, it’s unjust.  That’s why I don’t go heavy on the “he’s had 5 Assists this season” etc, because they don’t always reflect the true involvement.  I guess that’s why in hockey they have the hockey-assist too.

• Admin
9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I know, it’s unjust.  That’s why I don’t go heavy on the “he’s had 5 Assists this season” etc, because they don’t always reflect the true involvement.  I guess that’s why in hockey they have the hockey-assist too.

Back in Johnson Senior’s time I know they used to internally track the assist of the assist which is I guess what a hockey assist is. I’ve seen it called a Key Contribution in other variants of Fantasy Football in the past.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Hunt 0 + 1

Brownhill 1 + 2

Pack 1 + 1

Watkins 1 + 0

Weimann 5 + 1

Paterson 1 + 0

Diedhiou 1 + 0

You can't pick and choose when to give assists and when not to imo! ?‍♂️

Eliasson didn't get the assist. If the defender doesn't head it into Marlons path, it gets headed by either Weimann or Bennett. 

I agree with you about Taylor, it's never been an assist to win a penalty/free-kick which gets scored from. But you've been generous for one & not for the other there!

Edit: Also, it's great to see that the two central midfielders have contributed to 5 goals already this season. Been a while since we've had truly creative/goalscoring ones of those. Hopefully they keep it up.

Our second against Blackburn was a thing of beauty. Everyone involved should get an assist. Webster pings a 40 yard pass out to Eliasson. He takes a dribble and cuts inside and hits a 30 yard pass just over the defender to Taylor’s chest how angles it to the penalty spot for Watkins goal. It was lovely and from 4 players who either were not here last season or featured very little. 

8 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

You can't pick and choose when to give assists and when not to imo! ?‍♂️

Eliasson didn't get the assist. If the defender doesn't head it into Marlons path, it gets headed by either Weimann or Bennett. 

I agree with you about Taylor, it's never been an assist to win a penalty/free-kick which gets scored from. But you've been generous for one & not for the other there!

Edit: Also, it's great to see that the two central midfielders have contributed to 5 goals already this season. Been a while since we've had truly creative/goalscoring ones of those. Hopefully they keep it up.

Yeah I agree. Was just doing my own totting up whilst I wait for Transfermarkt to do its weekend update. I guess whatever the stats say, both Eliasson and Taylor are having a hand in the goals we score. 

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

On the flip side of that though, a lot of hockey stats 'analysts' are very dubious about the value of the second assist (I'm a bit of an ice hockey fan). The fact is that allocating assists on the basis of the second-to-last or third-to-last person to touch the ball is never going to be very fair. If you look at the goals on Sunday, Elliasson probably deserves an assist for his ball into Taylor to chest down for Watkins goal more than Weimann deserves one for a simple 5 yard pass to Fammy for his goal. In that respect, all assists are meaningless without context

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

On the flip side of that though, a lot of hockey stats 'analysts' are very dubious about the value of the second assist (I'm a bit of an ice hockey fan). The fact is that allocating assists on the basis of the second-to-last or third-to-last person to touch the ball is never going to be very fair. If you look at the goals on Sunday, Elliasson probably deserves an assist for his ball into Taylor to chest down for Watkins goal more than Weimann deserves one for a simple 5 yard pass to Fammy for his goal. In that respect, all assists are meaningless without context

Totally agree. I’ll steer away from hockey stats as I only know of the term not its evaluation!!!

Stats are only useful to a point. 

Goals are pretty tangible, but even when I do my match day ratings I try to rate on performance (my view of their performance) and not get too skewed by goals or assists, irrespective of the importance to the overall result. 

But that’s just me, and we all see things differently, sometimes because we sit in different parts of the ground too!

It would be good if we could continue to spread the goals round a bit and even have everyone scoring. It seems like every season for the last few years we have lost our top scorer for one reason or another, so let them all contribute and stay. Having one player is great as long as he is fit and well and of course not suspended, but it’s also a bit obvious to the opposition where our goals tend to come from. Spread them around and let our opponents try to work it out I say.

On 03/09/2018 at 22:17, Davefevs said:

Did they give Eliasson the assist for Weimanns v Swansea? He should’ve got the assist imo

Archived