IGNORED

iPod help

Dollymarie

Right, I’ve got two iPods. One I use in the car and out and about, and is all legally purchased music from iTunes. The other is an old one with not entirely legally purchased music that has been sat in a drawer. It was backed up onto a laptop I no longer own. 

I want to put all my music on one iPod/laptop. If I plug my old iPod into my laptop will it be able to just transfer all the music into my iTunes library without wiping either iPod and thus meaning I can then put the music from the old iPod onto the new one without any issues, so I therefore just have all my music in one place/on one iPod. 

You will probably have to move/copy all the files on iTunes currently to your main pc drive or put them on a USB stick, effectively wiping the iTunes (personally I'd go for the USB stick and test it before you wipe iTunes.) Then upload the old iPod contents, remove the old iPod from iTunes and then add the USB stick contents.

You can tick a box saying "Prevent Ipods from Syncing Automatcally" (edit>>.preferences>>devices).

Do this. Restart iTunes. Connect your old iPod. Resist any dialog from iTunes wanting to sync with it. Find said old iPod in your My Computer (or This PC) folder and copy its music files to your My Music folder. Disconnect old iPod. Import the stuff you want to iTunes via add file (or import the lot via add folder). 

The files may lose their names in doing this, but it's easy enough to re-add them and if you're not sure on anything, use Shazam or similar to find the music's name.

On 04/09/2018 at 22:39, Red-Robbo said:

You can tick a box saying "Prevent Ipods from Syncing Automatcally" (edit>>.preferences>>devices).

Do this. Restart iTunes. Connect your old iPod. Resist any dialog from iTunes wanting to sync with it. Find said old iPod in your My Computer (or This PC) folder and copy its music files to your My Music folder. Disconnect old iPod. Import the stuff you want to iTunes via add file (or import the lot via add folder). 

The files may lose their names in doing this, but it's easy enough to re-add them and if you're not sure on anything, use Shazam or similar to find the music's name.

Finally got round to trying to do this. It’s not working! It says it’s copying the files but then when I click on the folder there are only like 3 there :( 

4811F69F-BE85-4B52-90E4-7117B1C0597C.jpeg

5BFF22FB-766D-49C9-8715-94322513AD16.jpeg

1 minute ago, Dollymarie said:

Finally got round to trying to do this. It’s not working! It says it’s copying the files but then when I click on the folder there are only like 3 there :( 

Has it 100% finished importing the files? (the pic says 3%) It is a slow process.

2 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Yeah I’ve done that twice now and the second pic was when it had finished and what it gave me

There is the nasty prospect that the old iPod might have a corrupted hard drive. This happened with an old one of mine, it played fine, but when i tried to sync it was very, very slow and just didn't take all the files. 

Do you have another device you can run iTunes on? An old laptop or an iPad or similar. You could try syncing the old iPod with that and then copying the iTunes media file onto a memory stick - maybe a bit at a time - and transfering the files to your main laptop?

9 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I’ve got foster sons iPad that only has a few songs on it. Don’t have an old laptop though. But then I don’t have a way of getting any songs off the other iPad onto my laptop. 

No USB port?  You can get a 64gb memory stick for £15 these days.

On 04/09/2018 at 18:06, Dollymarie said:

Right, I’ve got two iPods. One I use in the car and out and about, and is all legally purchased music from iTunes. The other is an old one with not entirely legally purchased music that has been sat in a drawer. It was backed up onto a laptop I no longer own. 

I want to put all my music on one iPod/laptop. If I plug my old iPod into my laptop will it be able to just transfer all the music into my iTunes library without wiping either iPod and thus meaning I can then put the music from the old iPod onto the new one without any issues, so I therefore just have all my music in one place/on one iPod. 

Being quite the technophobe myself, I too needed to do something similar a while back. After searching various tech/apple forums etc, it confused the hell outta me! Then i found the solution....theres plenty of YouTube videos that will give you step-by-step guides that help (just need to translate some Americanisms). 

Archived