IGNORED

Peter Green and Fleetwood Mac

Robbored

If you’re interested in the blues of the 1906o’s then if you have Sky catch up there’s  a fascinating documentary about Peter Green on Sky Arts. 

It tells the story of how Fleetwood Mac developed and his role in the band. Interviews with all concerned iincluding the great man. It’s well worth a watch if you the genre.

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If you’re interested in the blues of the 1906o’s then if you have Sky catch up there’s  a fascinating documentary about Peter Green on Sky Arts. 

It tells the story of how Fleetwood Mac developed and his role in the band. Interviews with all concerned iincluding the great man. It’s well worth a watch if you the genre.

Peter Green had an amazing voice and unreal touch of the guitar. Even the great blues players of the time recognised just how good he was. Tragic how it turned out for him.

1 minute ago, screech said:

Peter Green had an amazing voice and unreal touch of the guitar. Even the great blues players of the time recognised just how good he was. Tragic how it turned out for him.

Yeah, but he’s still going and no longer disturbed as he was. He and the others became involved in the Timothy Leary type culture but Green became so unstable and spent time living with some weird cult. 

John McVie was particularly scathing of the people who did that to Peter Green.

I found the programme really fascinating - it revealed stuff I didn’t know.

I would highly recommend The Ultimate Music Guide (makers of Uncut) of Fleetwood Mac, it has the story of Jeremy Spencer in some detail and is a great read for anyone who, like me, has followed them to varying degrees in all of their incarnations.  122 pages including reviews of each album and many interviews.  

Going back to Peter Green, I have never seen FMac live but saw Peter playing in John Mayall's band at the Bath Festival of Blues and Progressive Music in 1970.  Due to horrendous traffic problems (this was in the fields by the Bath and West Pavillion by Shepton Mallet) which played havoc with the schedule they came on stage around 2.30 on the Sunday morning after Pink Floyd had performed Atom Heart Mother.  Pete had only just left FM and surprised everyone by appearing in John Mayall's band.  Aynsley Dunbar was on drums, and he also at the time was drummer with the brilliant Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention, who appeared on the Sunday Afternoon.  

Others on the bill included Led Zeppelin, Jefferson Airplane, The Byrds, Steppenwolf, Fairport Convention,  Hot Tuna, Canned Heat, John Hiseman's Coliseum, Its a Beautiful Day, Johnny Winter,  The Flock and Santana.  Legend has it that a certain Michael Eavis was at the festival and it inspired him to try something similar and he put on a small festival at his farm in Pilton 3 months later.  Not sure if that idea ever really got off the ground!!!  Makes you think, thank God that Marvin Rees has never been Mayor of Somerset!

Good post ND.

i saw FM several times in second incarnation with Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham so many years after Green had gone.

My sister was one of the nannies for FM and traveled all over the world with them in the 80s and she  arranged for me and Mrs Robbo to see them live around about half a dozen times and access to the after show party. I met Stevie Nicks several times  - what a gorgeous woman and with her history of alcohol abuse she and I got along really well.

Back to Peter Green - he has clearly recovered from his psychotic episodes and in old psychiatric terms he’s now  ‘burnt out’. As schizophrenics age their symptoms ease massively. He said he’s not sure if his illness was drug induced or he had a predisposition for it. 

Its a really fascinating programme if you get a chance to see it.

Big fan of both incarnations of the band. Saw the "new" line up at NEC  a few years ago. Christine Mcvie was not involved on that tour though.

Rumours of Fleetwood Mac are a truly excellent tribute band and cover the entire catalogue of the band including the Peter Green era. Well worth checking out. They next play in the Colston Hall April 2019.  

https://www.rumoursoffleetwoodmac.com/home

22 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

I would highly recommend The Ultimate Music Guide (makers of Uncut) of Fleetwood Mac, it has the story of Jeremy Spencer in some detail and is a great read for anyone who, like me, has followed them to varying degrees in all of their incarnations.  122 pages including reviews of each album and many interviews.  

Going back to Peter Green, I have never seen FMac live but saw Peter playing in John Mayall's band at the Bath Festival of Blues and Progressive Music in 1970.  Due to horrendous traffic problems (this was in the fields by the Bath and West Pavillion by Shepton Mallet) which played havoc with the schedule they came on stage around 2.30 on the Sunday morning after Pink Floyd had performed Atom Heart Mother.  Pete had only just left FM and surprised everyone by appearing in John Mayall's band.  Aynsley Dunbar was on drums, and he also at the time was drummer with the brilliant Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention, who appeared on the Sunday Afternoon.  

Others on the bill included Led Zeppelin, Jefferson Airplane, The Byrds, Steppenwolf, Fairport Convention,  Hot Tuna, Canned Heat, John Hiseman's Coliseum, Its a Beautiful Day, Johnny Winter,  The Flock and Santana.  Legend has it that a certain Michael Eavis was at the festival and it inspired him to try something similar and he put on a small festival at his farm in Pilton 3 months later.  Not sure if that idea ever really got off the ground!!!  Makes you think, thank God that Marvin Rees has never been Mayor of Somerset!

I was there........wow what a line up that was, beats modern day Glasto into a cocked hat (IMHO)

Saw Aynsley Dunbar's Retaliation in the 70's at the Granary .

On 04/09/2018 at 22:33, screech said:

Spot on @screech my all time favourite band and all time favourite guitarist and need your love so bad my all time favourite track and the Peter Green incarnation of Fleetwood Mac played on my all time favourite album 7936 Rhodes by Eddie Boyd.

The guy was falling to pieces and the lyrics of man of the world was almost like a suicide note but we all believed that it was just another blues track, I love the track but it always makes me feel sad. 

His voice and guitar work on all Fleetwood Mac albums up to then play on was just the best and for 12/18 months they were outselling the Beatles and quite rightly so.

People have written about Jeremy Spencer and his moment of madness with a religious cult, he is still alive and recording, however Danny Kirwan a prodigy of Green's and the 3rd guitarist later on in Fleetwood Mac went the way of Peter Green but sadly never recovered and died in June this year.

Thank you @Robbored for this thread, later tonight the dog and dustbin album (1st album) full blast, an album that contains my 2nd all time favourite track merrygoround and followed by Mr Wonderful which contains my 3rd all time favourite track a love that burns.

All hail the Green god.

If you have Sky then Sky arts shows some terrific stuff about various artists and different genres,

Along with the most recent FM programme they did another programme about the second incarnation of FM awhile ago. Obviously that one didn’t include much about Peter Green but did have interviews with the band including separate ones with Stevie Nicks  :wub: and Lindsay Buckingham and the poisonous nature of their relationship. Fascinating stuff.

Theres another Sky Art documentary about the Moody Blues - another of my favourite bands available on catch up now and not so long ago another documentary on Bad Company - another one of my favourite bands and how they developed out of Free. 

On 05/09/2018 at 15:03, Robbored said:

I saw FM several times in second incarnation with Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham so many years after Green had gone.

The Bob Welch era was second incarnation of Fleetwood Mac. Buckingham & Nicks came after that.

On 05/09/2018 at 15:03, Robbored said:

Back to Peter Green - he has clearly recovered from his psychotic episodes and in old psychiatric terms he’s now  ‘burnt out’. As schizophrenics age their symptoms ease massively. He said he’s not sure if his illness was drug induced or he had a predisposition for it. 

Pete Green was an LSD victim pure and simple........same as Syd Barrett and Brian Wilson.

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Red said:

Pete Green was an LSD victim pure and simple........same as Syd Barrett and Brian Wilson.

Not as straightforward as that BR. 

I know lots of people who experienced LSD and are perfectly fit and well. 

What ****** Green up more was to do with the cult in which lived.

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not as straightforward as that BR. 

I know lots of people who experienced LSD and are perfectly fit and well. 

What ****** Green up more was to do with the cult in which lived.

Not true, the bad trip came first and also he was never involved with a cult, just some very dodgy decadent dodgy Germans.

In fact Peter Green and Danny Kirwan both had bad LSD trips the same night and both fell into mental illness as a result and Danny Kirwan never recovered.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Not true, the bad trip came first and also he was never involved with a cult, just some very dodgy decadent dodgy Germans.

In fact Peter Green and Danny Kirwan both had bad LSD trips the same night and both fell into mental illness as a result and Danny Kirwan never recovered.

Once again EMB - it’s not that simple.

During my career I looked after and cared for numerous schizophrenics and in all that time I came across one, just one whose illness was considered to a consequence on a LSD trip. 

A huge majority of LSD trips - even bad ones - do not lead to schizophrenia. It’s very rare although not completely unknown.

However, I also looked after and cared for around half a dozen schizophrenics who had been indoctrinated by weird cults which in turn had led to psychotic symptoms including delusions, auditory and visual hallucinations which mirrored  those of an LSD trip.

Green was targeted by a cult of Germans in Munich and he spent time living with them - it was then that he began to show signs of mental illness. To me that’s not simply coincidence. He’d had LSD trips before and always fully recovered.

He himself said that he wasn’t sure if drugs had caused his illness or simply that he had a predisposition to it.

39 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Once again EMB - it’s not that simple.

During my career I looked after and cared for numerous schizophrenics and in all that time I came across one, just one whose illness was considered to a consequence on a LSD trip. 

A huge majority of LSD trips - even bad ones - do not lead to schizophrenia. It’s very rare although not completely unknown.

However, I also looked after and cared for around half a dozen schizophrenics who had been indoctrinated by weird cults which in turn had led to psychotic symptoms including delusions, auditory and visual hallucinations which mirrored  those of an LSD trip.

Green was targeted by a cult of Germans in Munich and he spent time living with them - it was then that he began to show signs of mental illness. To me that’s not simply coincidence. He’d had LSD trips before and always fully recovered.

He himself said that he wasn’t sure if drugs had caused his illness or simply that he had a predisposition to it.

The point being they were not a cult, they were group of disparate hippies/decadent Germans, a cult has a common purpose/usually religiously motivated, this group just wanted to take drugs, **** and make weird music.

I will of course bow to your superior knowledge of LSD/Acid/Bad trips and mental illness, but it is clear that Peter Green and Danny Kirwan never recovered mentally from their time in Munich.

Archived