IGNORED

Ghost goal .. you’ve got to see this to believe it

Brann-red

That's the sort of level you have to wonder about match fixing because its so obvious its gone in. At least with ours it hit the bar and came straight back with minimal net movement etc so you could believe it hit the bar to the side or something.

4 minutes ago, Brann-red said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45409768

goal scored fairly by Patrick thistle only to be ruled out and given as a throw in . Some of the most baffling officiating to be seen .. worth the 3 minutes in watching all of it . 

i can see why Colin got so upset when it happpened (allegedly ) at the gate in 2009 ... 

Almost as bad as that time when Paul Hartley was judged to be offside when we played Palace at home and Colin got the right hump!

?

7 hours ago, hodge said:

That's the sort of level you have to wonder about match fixing because its so obvious its gone in. At least with ours it hit the bar and came straight back with minimal net movement etc so you could believe it hit the bar to the side or something.

the ref gave us a free kick he didn't say the ball didn't cross the line. 2 things occurred at the same time but Warnock just always ignored the fact the ref blew up 

That really is bonkers - I’m guessing they presume it didn’t cross the line and award the throw in from where the defender boots it out to when the ball bounces back out. The positioning of the officials isn’t great - they’ll say they couldn’t see it but surely the reaction of the opposition walking back to half way line was obvious it went in. 

2 hours ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

The referee gave a goal kick.

It was a free kick that was taken from where a goal kick would normally be taken from.

Gary Johnson, or some other member of the coaching staff, spoke to the ref after the game who confirmed this.

However, Warnock's bluster and higher media profile made sure this was virtually ignored at the time.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/aug/17/gary-johnson-bristol-city-crystal-palace

I was at the game. Generally with these incidents fans go up in hope it crossed the line, here it was so obvious to everyone watching as the ball clearly hit the inside of the side netting. Fortunate that the Morton player kicked the ball into touch in frustration rather than up the field with the ball remaining in play. Imagine the chaos if the ball was still live!

3 hours ago, richwwtk said:

It was a free kick that was taken from where a goal kick would normally be taken from.

Gary Johnson, or some other member of the coaching staff, spoke to the ref after the game who confirmed this.

However, Warnock's bluster and higher media profile made sure this was virtually ignored at the time.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/aug/17/gary-johnson-bristol-city-crystal-palace

That's what I always thought too, but if you look at the incident, there is no way that the ref has given a free kick (and I absolutely hate having to agree with Colin), in fact he doesn't really make any decision at all. He may well have said that, but only to cover his own back. 

One of the oddest things I've ever seen!

Surely common sense has to prevail - 10 players dont all go and celebrate like that without hesitation if it wasn't in or was any kind of doubt. Also the body language of the Greenock players

You'd like to think one of their players would have said to the ref that it's gone in, or offered to put the ball in themselves but I guess that's pushing the boundaries of sportsmanship in this day and age. Would be interesting to know what the Greenock players were actually saying to the officials

Ludicrous decision by Ref / linesman in Scottish game.

Hadn't seen video of the City v Palace incident before but it looked like Sears pushed the City defender towards the 6 yard line before shooting so giving a free kick there would look like a goal kick. Sorry Colin you're still a tw*t.

7 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Not sure how the linesman can't see that, he's in an almost perfect position and looking directly at it. Maybe the worst decision I've ever seen in football.

What about the Accrington Stanley goal that was whistled out before it went in that led to Bristol Rovers gaining an automatic promotion spot? 

If I was ref, I'd pull the defending captain and keeper aside and say

"Guys do me a favour, was it a goal or not"?

The onus is on them then.

You'd hope for honesty, if they said it wasn't a goal they would be aware that cameras would out them later.

If they shrug their shoulders and the ref didn't have a clear view he would have to rely on the linos eyesight.  ?

Who'd be a ref?

1 hour ago, El Hombrecito said:

That's what I always thought too, but if you look at the incident, there is no way that the ref has given a free kick (and I absolutely hate having to agree with Colin), in fact he doesn't really make any decision at all. He may well have said that, but only to cover his own back. 

That was my interpretation too, once he realised he messed up, he just invented a free kick to cover his Arsenal.

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

What about the Accrington Stanley goal that was whistled out before it went in that led to Bristol Rovers gaining an automatic promotion spot? 

They’ve got previous. Remember the phantom whistler v Brentford in late 90s/early 2000s? 

7 hours ago, richwwtk said:

A free kick taken from where a goal kick is taken - how incredibly convenient!

It amazes me that people still try to make this argument. Look at the video. The referee didn’t gesture for an infringement.  He consulted his linesman, who hadn’t raised his flag. The confusion amongst the officials was evident. Play then restarted with a goal kick. It’s entirely obvious beyond reasonable doubt that the officials weren’t certain the ball had crossed the line because it - very usually - bounced back out of the goal - and made a terrible decision based on simply not knowing what had happened.

7 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Also have to say that Gary Johnson's comments in the article you've linked to are pretty outrageous when you actually look at the video evidence.

"The referee ran over to the linesman, who was still standing with his flag in the air" - evidently not.

as someone said, who would be a ref/lino, from my sunday morning attempts it is much harder then you think to see the ball all of the time. Ir is clearly a goal and looks obvious from the angle the camera has, but that is not the same view that he lino or ref had. given that, as others also said, common sense should have prevailed once 22 odd players seem to  have accepted it as the goal it was.

44 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

A free kick taken from where a goal kick is taken - how incredibly convenient!

It amazes me that people still try to make this argument. Look at the video. The referee didn’t gesture for an infringement.  He consulted his linesman, who hadn’t raised his flag. The confusion amongst the officials was evident. Play then restarted with a goal kick. It’s entirely obvious beyond reasonable doubt that the officials weren’t certain the ball had crossed the line because it - very usually - bounced back out of the goal - and made a terrible decision based on simply not knowing what had happened.

Watching back now, it's actually a lot less obvious than I remember it being. It would be quite easy to miss it crossing the line, though you would have thought between the lino and the ref, one of them would have spotted it. 

Agree on the 'he gave a free kick' argument; that was just the ref covering his backside. But as I said above; it would have been entirely understandable if the ref had just said "I didn't see it", in which case there is no way he could give the goal

16 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Watching back now, it's actually a lot less obvious than I remember it being. It would be quite easy to miss it crossing the line, though you would have thought between the lino and the ref, one of them would have spotted it. 

Agree on the 'he gave a free kick' argument; that was just the ref covering his backside. But as I said above; it would have been entirely understandable if the ref had just said "I didn't see it", in which case there is no way he could give the goal

I actually have a certain amount of sympathy with the officials. If they didn’t see it, they didn’t see it - even if really they ought to have done. The way the ball bounced out was very unusual and if you didn’t happen to witness the precise moment it actually hit the back of the net, you might consider that it hit the post or hoarding. I think their biggest failing was not making a rounded judgement based on all factors including the reaction of both sets of players and supporters. But - like you said - if you’re not certain, it’s a massive call to make. The only thing worse than mistakenly disallowing an away team goal would be mistakenly giving an away team goal when the ball actually went wide - can you imagine?! I think they opted for the lesser of those two evils, but got it wrong.

8 hours ago, richwwtk said:

On 22/08/2018 at 23:19, Bryans Left Peg said:

This has been done to death but..

Ref gave a goal kick, not a foul (which makes me love it even more!)

Articles:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/aug/15/crystal-palace-neil-warnock-freddie-sears

https://talksport.com/football/77448/six-incredible-ghost-goals-including-chelsea-and-bayern-munich-13102164941/

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/neil-warnock-how-i-overcame-my-ghost-goal-fury-1775723.html

The keeper then took the goal kick from his 6-yard box and you can see there was certainly no infringement by Sears anywhere near it.

Video: 

5 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

no, it was a free kick to us and the linesman was the one who flagged for an offence before the "goal"..... still one of my favourite moments watching football... colins purple face... priceless...

The same linesman who can clearly be seen in the video with his flag lowered in the immediate aftermath of the goal?

Good one.

Archived