IGNORED

This team is good enough for promotion

reddogkev

Something to chew on over the International Break - I think we've assembled a talent pool good enough to go up.

I'm not saying we will be promoted this season, that's a tad too insanely-optimistic for this stage of the season, but I like the chance we've given ourselves.  I also like the fact that Elliason has really upped his game and looks like an assist machine; much to the delight of Weimann.  Thanks to AW'S sublime finishing, he could be in for a 20+ season.  I wouldn't be surprised if Famara also got near this mark.

You'd imagine Lloyd Kelly will go from strength to strength as the season progresses, and who knows how good he will be?  The sky seems to be his limit.

For me, the missing piece of the puzzle was Kalas, he is a phenomenal defender, has 2 promotions under his belt and will be pushing hard for a third.

The strength in the squad is very impressive, and we still have the unknown factor of Adelukun and whether he will adapt to the Championship, something else to look forward.  In an ideal world I'd add another central midfielder, and the GK spot could be improved upon, but Brownhill could be on course to have his finest season for us and Maeenppa plus FF might be all we needs this season between the sticks.

Now, LJ and the guys, take it away!

13 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Something to chew on over the International Break - I think we've assembled a talent pool good enough to go up.

I'm not saying we will be promoted this season, that's a tad too insanely-optimistic for this stage of the season, but I like the chance we've given ourselves.  I also like the fact that Elliason has really upped his game and looks like an assist machine; much to the delight of Weimann.  Thanks to AW'S sublime finishing, he could be in for a 20+ season.  I wouldn't be surprised if Famara also got near this mark.

You'd imagine Lloyd Kelly will go from strength to strength as the season progresses, and who knows how good he will be?  The sky seems to be his limit.

For me, the missing piece of the puzzle was Kalas, he is a phenomenal defender, has 2 promotions under his belt and will be pushing hard for a third.

The strength in the squad is very impressive, and we still have the unknown factor of Adelukun and whether he will adapt to the Championship, something else to look forward.  In an ideal world I'd add another central midfielder, and the GK spot could be improved upon, but Brownhill could be on course to have his finest season for us and Maeenppa plus FF might be all we needs this season between the sticks.

Like your PMA. I think we are generally stronger than last season with a real game changer in Eliasson trickery. If we could add a play making midfielder and perhaps a GK I think we are looking at a top 8 or 10 side. I do get the feeling the club is trying to take small steps forward each season rather than just throwing huge amounts of money at it.

i have been following city since 81 and honestly this seems the most settled and focussed we have ever been. 

16 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

lets not get carried away kev,

this team is a mid table team, its not finished we're short of quality in a few positions and lack depth 

Think we've got more depth than before tbh- a proper challenger to Fielding, 4 good CBs, a variety of options out wide...

Still inclined to think mid-table with good football and some scalps overall though, but we have the depth and competition aspect in some other areas which we lacked last year.

We're progressing again season on season, which is all you can ask for realistically, and is even more impressive given the caliber of players we've lost each season for the last 3/4.

I'd like to think that the club have targetted a top 10 finish to start the season. Anything better is simply a bonus at this stage. If we're still going strong come January, then perhaps we look to strengthen for a play off push in the second half of the season.

In my opinion we would need a lot of luck to even finish in the play offs and then anything can happen.

Even if you look at our first few games, we look like we can score or concede at any point. Maybe the team / squad will gel as the season goes on and look more solid and even then I feel we will still be around the 10th position.

I've not got massive expectations for the season ahead but I think that it is a healthy mind set to have. We could do an England and pleasantly surprise people.

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think we've got more depth than before tbh- a proper challenger to Fielding, 4 good CBs, a variety of options out wide...

Still inclined to think mid-table with good football and some scalps overall though, but we have the depth and competition aspect in some other areas which we lacked last year.

I don't think he is a challenger to Fielding, in my view he is clearly our number 1 keeper.  I would be extremely disappointed if he loses his place. He is the best keeper we have had for a while now.

1 minute ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I don't think he is a challenger to Fielding, in my view he is clearly our number 1 keeper.  I would be extremely disappointed if he loses his place. He is the best keeper we have had for a while now.

I think he means more that if his performances start to dip there will be more consequences and he’ll be more easily dropped than before 

6 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

It is impossible to ignore the fact that all Johnson teams, Oldham, Barnsley and City twice, have imploded for long periods of the last four seasons.

Can’t argue with facts......but for every optimist there’s a pessimist.

Like others, although we’re only six games in I can see a top 10 team that hopefully are pushing for pray place after 35 games or so.

• Admin

There are many squads with more talented players in this division but LJ has put together a squad that fits the style he wants to play. On their day they can be a match for anyone in this division but it's just a question of how often we have that day.

Last season the games and thin squad caught up with us and in the second half of the season we rarely had that day. The squad seems a bit deeper this season (though an extra CM early in January would be appreciated) and this season's success will boil down to how effectively LJ manages to rotate key positions to keep players fresh and injury free.

I like Maenpaa but I'd also be going back for Steffen in January and seeing if they will deal once their season is over.

22 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

He's good actually yeah- think the competition for places will help the team though, keep both keepers sharp- because in the event something happens to Maeneppa, or he hits a bad patch- well we have a Championship ready keeper who has done us fine down the years.

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

This squad and management could have us finishing anywhere between 3rd and 14th in my opinion. That’s what makes it so exciting. Everyone should try to enjoy it if they can. So much moaning

I wouldn't know what else to talk about here if i couldn't moan 

1 minute ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Nope. Middlesbrough, Aston Villa, Leeds, Derby etc etc. We are doing well and I’m happy and the LJ haters are wrong but.....no chance of going up this year.

No chance of Leicester winning Prem, Denmark winning Euros, Greece winning Euros, Cardiff going up....we love football as there is always a chance

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Can’t argue with facts......but for every optimist there’s a pessimist.

Like others, although we’re only six games in I can see a top 10 team that hopefully are pushing for pray place after 35 games or so.

Typical of you to omit and ignore my last sentence which states that if we are consistent, we'll be alright. 

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Kev. Thought you may of learned from last season after you’re statements of. We’re definitly making the play offs / going up. I still blame you for it not happening ? . Calm yer skin down mate. 

44 minutes ago, supercidered said:

In my opinion we would need a lot of luck to even finish in the play offs and then anything can happen.

Even if you look at our first few games, we look like we can score or concede at any point. Maybe the team / squad will gel as the season goes on and look more solid and even then I feel we will still be around the 10th position.

I've not got massive expectations for the season ahead but I think that it is a healthy mind set to have. We could do an England and pleasantly surprise people.

And ultimately achieve **** all after failing against a team we would have reasonable expectations to beat.

England didn't actually have to beat anyone decent to go so far and when they played a good side they lost However....

We are just into September. 8th - 12th with a consistent run of results would be progress in my view

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This, but if we hit a run of form maybe an outside chance of the play offs? Maybe too optimistic there. I still think we will lose some silly games that on paper should be victories and we’ll beat a few that we ‘shouldn’t’. Still a young team and manager so will be a rollercoaster!

30 minutes ago, Super said:

On another day QPR and Blackburn would of had us beat in the first half when we were truly shocking. I think mid table will be a good effort.

We are a new team and while looking vulnerable, we are now grinding out the results. One defeat in six is OK. The next match will give us a good insight into how we are as Sheffield United are always a difficult side to beat.

Archived