IGNORED

This team is good enough for promotion

reddogkev

We are obviously in the mix for a play off place probably along with 10 others. The biggest gap in the division will be between 14th and 15th so I agree we could finish anywhere in the top 14.

I'd be happier if we'd signed someone like Norwood but that appears to never have been on the cards.

50 minutes ago, Super said:

On another day QPR and Blackburn would of had us beat in the first half when we were truly shocking. I think mid table will be a good effort.

The same Blackburn game where we probably should have been 2-0 up in the first 10 mins? 

We only went to pot mentally due to a combination of that ridiculous goal from their corner and the ref getting right on everyone's grill. 

Can't really comment on the QPR game, but by all accounts they weren't exactly Barca in the first half, before we then put them away easily as the game wore on.

1 minute ago, Kingswoodactor said:

The same Blackburn game where we probably should have been 2-0 up in the first 10 mins? 

We only went to pot mentally due to a combination of that ridiculous goal from their corner and the ref getting right on everyone's grill. 

Can't really comment on the QPR game, but by all accounts they weren't exactly Barca in the first half, before we then put them away easily as the game wore on.

that was a massive concern and a better team would of scored two or three, it was only after they hit the bar that Pack stepped in and did the captain thing (though we was at fault for alot of it) which was good to see, something we haven't seen for a long time,

it also shows the spirit and togetherness this squad seem to have which in turn is another good sign

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Something to chew on over the International Break - I think we've assembled a talent pool good enough to go up.

I'm not saying we will be promoted this season, that's a tad too insanely-optimistic for this stage of the season, but I like the chance we've given ourselves.  I also like the fact that Elliason has really upped his game and looks like an assist machine; much to the delight of Weimann.  Thanks to AW'S sublime finishing, he could be in for a 20+ season.  I wouldn't be surprised if Famara also got near this mark.

You'd imagine Lloyd Kelly will go from strength to strength as the season progresses, and who knows how good he will be?  The sky seems to be his limit.

For me, the missing piece of the puzzle was Kalas, he is a phenomenal defender, has 2 promotions under his belt and will be pushing hard for a third.

The strength in the squad is very impressive, and we still have the unknown factor of Adelukun and whether he will adapt to the Championship, something else to look forward.  In an ideal world I'd add another central midfielder, and the GK spot could be improved upon, but Brownhill could be on course to have his finest season for us and Maeenppa plus FF might be all we needs this season between the sticks.

Now, LJ and the guys, take it away!

you forgot Mo Eisa think he could be a real find given the chance.

1 hour ago, Super said:

On another day QPR and Blackburn would of had us beat in the first half when we were truly shocking. I think mid table will be a good effort.

We were especially poor in the first half at QPR agreed.

OTOH, we started okay v Middlesbrough and it could be argued 2 soft goals cost us a point- though they deserved their win. As for Bolton away, pretty dominant in many ways yet only got a point- swings and roundabouts. Mid-table should be fine IMO looking at a lot of sides in this League- quite a few have big issues- financial, transitional- whatever.

Think we’re 2-3 short of quality players to be a serious contender. Say Pack or Brownhill get a knock, that leaves us with Walsh and not much else. Goal keeper, still reserving my judgment but I think an upgrade is required if we’re serious.

At this moment in time, I’d stick us anywhere been 8th and 13th

I think this team can finish in the top 10 of this division and once you're in that range there's usually less than a couple of wins between finishing 10th and finishing 6th. So yeah; this squad could definitely get promoted, though I'd say the odds are still against it. It'll probably hinge on how quickly LJ gets us out of a bad run when the bad run inevitably happens. It should hopefully be good watching us try though

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

lets not get carried away kev,

this team is a mid table team, its not finished we're short of quality in a few positions and lack depth 

As you can tell by my OP, I feel we've got a bit more about us than just a mid-table team.  I can see us being more like a play-off winning Huddersfield or a Fulham this season.

If Weimann and Diedhou can reach 30+ goals combined (which I believe they will), with the defence we've assembled, we'll win a lot of matches at this level.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Over a season with suspensions, injuries, out of form players, poor decisions, I see this squad as something between mid table and maybe at a push the last play off place if things went our way.

I'd hope that all the other contenders suffer from similar injuries, loss of form, bad decisions - so in theory - should even itself out.

1 hour ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Nope. Middlesbrough, Aston Villa, Leeds, Derby etc etc. We are doing well and I’m happy and the LJ haters are wrong but.....no chance of going up this year.

That all sounds a bit predictable and boring.  It's impossible to accurately say City have no chance of going up this year.

Well Cardiff went up so the likes of us, Brentford, Sheffield United, etc must know that it's possible for us. We need to perform to our best, get lucky when it matters and ride the momentum.

What pleases me is that we've had a strong start despite this being a period of transition.

We have a completely new back 5, new wingers, and a new frontline. 

It's basically a bunch of randoms trying to adapt to a specific system and so far we've survived the wobbles and played some nice stuff.

If/when the team settles and learn the system and each other's games, who know what is possible.

13 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I'd hope that all the other contenders suffer from similar injuries, loss of form, bad decisions - so in theory - should even itself out.

Hopefully...however it's such a tight league. The difference between 10th and a play off place last season was 2 wins.

Over a 46 game season a bit of luck comes into it...you hit a post, have goals disallowed for no reason, a penalty given against for the wrong reason, an offside decision wrong...it all adds up...you make you're own luck, however sometimes it's against you. 

On paper we are stronger than last year, but imo, the league is also harder, so it's swings and roundabouts...we may have got stronger, but so have others, we may finish mid table.

I still think that would be a good achievement for this Club.

43 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

As you can tell by my OP, I feel we've got a bit more about us than just a mid-table team.  I can see us being more like a play-off winning Huddersfield or a Fulham this season.

If Weimann and Diedhou can reach 30+ goals combined (which I believe they will), with the defence we've assembled, we'll win a lot of matches at this level.

i tend to agree but you forget the Johnson factor and his consistent ability in failing to arrest a bad patch

Who knows..?! 

It IS possible, but it’s also unlikely, because the competition is so strong. 

The thing that pleases me is that we DO have a chance. 

We are competitive, at a very good level of football. 

We are capable of winning, losing or drawing every fixture. It’s too hard to predict, but that makes it exciting, unpredictable and a million miles away from where we were prior to the double winning season. 

22 minutes ago, mozo said:

Well Cardiff went up so the likes of us, Brentford, Sheffield United, etc must know that it's possible for us. We need to perform to our best, get lucky when it matters and ride the momentum.

What pleases me is that we've had a strong start despite this being a period of transition.

We have a completely new back 5, new wingers, and a new frontline. 

It's basically a bunch of randoms trying to adapt to a specific system and so far we've survived the wobbles and played some nice stuff.

If/when the team settles and learn the system and each other's games, who know what is possible.

I see what you're saying but comparing us to Cardiff is not comparing like for like and, imo, is a bad example.

Cardiff went up by deciding to employ a certain type of manager, a certain type of player, and play a certain type of football - experienced manager, a lot of experienced players, low risk football.

City have decided to employ a very different type of manager, a very different type of player, playing a very different type of football - inexperienced manager, a lot of inexperienced players, a higher risk style of football (and so harder to pull off successfully over 46 games in the Championship). 

Cardiff's choices have brought them short term, unsustainable (hopefully!) success.

City's approach looks more to the long term and aims to be sustainable.

So, imo, the comparison is a false one.

But if you'd said Huddersfield....

With all the fanfare and media attention on Leeds & Boro there is only a 3 point gap to us. Leeds drew at Swansea and we took 3 points in a dominant display. It goes to show we have as much chance as anyone of promotion and 11 points from 6 games is a decent start and better tgan last season by 2 points at the same stage 

The squad we have are more than capable of beating any team in this league and if we have a lot more luck with injuries and suspensions and a bit of luck then there is no reason why the P word can’t be used with some level of confidence this season

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

Think we’re 2-3 short of quality players to be a serious contender. Say Pack or Brownhill get a knock, that leaves us with Walsh and not much else. Goal keeper, still reserving my judgment but I think an upgrade is required if we’re serious.

At this moment in time, I’d stick us anywhere been 8th and 13th

I think the keeper is a “safe” signing, certainly won’t let us down from what he’s shown so far but will he have those two or three games per season that enable us to win 1-0 away from home when we are under the cosh and earn us the extra points that might make the difference? As for Frank will be interesting to see how he goes without Flint heading balls away in the six yard box every week.

Think anything is possible as we have at least two effective players for each position, other than (due to Smith's injury) central midfield. If we can maintain good form for the rest of 2018, and then strengthen in January (yes, I know) I don't see why we could not be Play Off contenders.

We are football fans so we need to have a dream or two ?

Archived