IGNORED

Downsy - Dabbing

BessexRED

I'm not sure if this has been covered in here yet, if so feel free to point it out.

I've just listened to Stan and Joe's podcast and they speak at the end about Downsy running between the kids with flags before the game on Sunday, waiting for the players live on the big screen saying "can we see some dabbing?" and encouraging kids to dab...

I can't comment as I wasn't in the ground at 2:50 but if this is right then **** me that's the most cringeworthy thing Downsy has done and there's an ever growing big list.

I have nothing against the bloke personally, I'm sure he's a lovely chap - but come on for crying out loud, stuff like this is so cheesy, tinpot or whatever word you want to throw at it. We're Bristol City not f****ng Reading, there have been several occasions where Downsy has made us look so tinpot.

I get that it's "harmless fun" which will no doubt be replied to this post and I was never David Lloyd's biggest fan but he knew the football club and his audience and he'd have never done anything like that nor would he scream down his mic "WELCOME BACK BRRRRRRRIIIISSSTOOOLLLL CITYYYYYYYYY" when the players are coming back out for the second half a couple of goals down, nor make an inappropriate joke to a 6 year old girl in front of 20,000 people about coming to a football match to eye up the football players legs.

I think he needs to realise he's not hosting a Sam FM show, he's the PA announcer at a proper football club and this sort of stuff needs nipping in the bud.

Had to look up what the hell dabbing is.

I just wish he wouldn't shout so much. Does my head in. In fact (old man comment coming up...), why can't we have some decent music playing before the game and at half time and ditch all the irritating chatter?

We don't need to be prepped or psyched up before a game by the faux-enthusiasm. This is not commercial radio where everyone's pretending to be happy and is contractually bound to love everything and everyone. 

Let things happen organically. 

Miserable git post ends.

Without wanting it to turn into a witch hunt, I sometimes think he's a bit unprofessional on Twitter too.

Haven't got any examples to hand, but there's been a few times I've read his replies to people and thought they were a bit unprofessional. Not how I'd want a public face of the club representing us online. He got into a few disagreements with people about the Bristol Bears rebrand and in my opinion took it a bit far.

Without passing comment on Downsy, as I don't attend AG as much these days, we were very lucky to have DL; a talented light entertainment man, real life City fan, and good bloke. I always felt he got some unfair stick on here, given that despite being very good at his job, he didn't wield any real power and couldn't be expected to substantively challenge the status quo as much as us common-or-garden fan might have liked. 

However, when it came to match days, a tough act to follow/beat!!!

31 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

Had to look up what the hell dabbing is.

I just wish he wouldn't shout so much. Does my head in. In fact (old man comment coming up...), why can't we have some decent music playing before the game and at half time and ditch all the irritating chatter?

We don't need to be prepped or psyched up before a game by the faux-enthusiasm. This is not commercial radio where everyone's pretending to be happy and is contractually bound to love everything and everyone. 

Let things happen organically. 

Miserable git post ends.

What is it?

Old bloke asking.

11 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

The bloke reminds me of that episode of Alan Partridge where he's the announcer of some village show and they all completely par off his boring and sometimes inappropriate chat. The main difference being Alan realized nobody wanted him there and he buggered off early.

I would kill for Alan to be BCFC stadium announcer.

7 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

What is it?

Old bloke asking.

'Dabbing' is a gesture that became extremely popular around 2016, and sadly persists to this day. You put one forearm parallel to your face, with the other one outstretched  to your side. It originally came to prominence with gang members in Atlanta who used it as an expression of happiness or goodwill. Eventually the internet took hold and now even Hillary Clinton did it in an effort to be down with the kids. Pogba and Lingard did it a lot when celebrating, so it's popular amongst the Fortnite generation. It can also be integrated into dancing to music, in particular hip hop and trap. It's already peaked but will still be around for a while

IMG_0667.JPG

8 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

'Dabbing' is a gesture that became extremely popular around 2016, and sadly persists to this day. You put one forearm parallel to your face, with the other one outstretched  to your side. It originally came to prominence with gang members in Atlanta who used it as an expression of happiness or goodwill. Eventually the internet took hold and now even Hillary Clinton did it in an effort to be down with the kids. Pogba and Lingard did it a lot when celebrating, so it's popular amongst the Fortnite generation. It can also be integrated into dancing to music, in particular hip hop and trap. It's already peaked but will still be around for a while

IMG_0667.JPG

Sounds and looks absolutely pathetic.

Who are the Fortnite Generation btw?

25 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

The bloke reminds me of that episode of Alan Partridge where he's the announcer of some village show and they all completely par off his boring and sometimes inappropriate chat. The main difference being Alan realized nobody wanted him there and he buggered off early.

Par off? :dunno:

Just now, AppyDAZE said:

The England squad World cup "heroes"

Ta. Any idea why?

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You're right, it is pathetic, but gestures like this end up being used 'ironically'- I've been guilty of it when hammered myself.

The 'Fortnite Generation' is basically the 8-14 year old demographic- mostly boys. I called it this as Fortnite is by far the most popular video game in the world right now, especially amongst this group. You see kids doing the dances it has, and shows like This Morning running concerned parent pieces on it. To which I would say to them- stop complaining and play the bloody game with your kids, it's damn fun

'Par off' is to ignore or blow off a person, typically in an overt fashion

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

Par off? :dunno:

Mug off.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Fortnite's a game played mainly by teenagers so that generation. 

The fact that a lot on here don't even get his references is telling in itself - keep things traditional, stop trying to make our football club cheap and cheesy.

Just now, AppyDAZE said:

It's an online game isn;t it?

The players played it during the WC and loads of teenagers play it

apparently

You're correct, with the only difference being little kids and adults of all ages play it too. Games that unite all or most demographics are considered generational games. Before this, it was Minecraft.

Just now, Newquay-Red said:

You're correct, with the only difference being little kids and adults of all ages play it too. Games that unite all or most demographics are considered generational games. Before this, it was Minecraft.

Please tell me the players are known as "Mineheads"

2 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

You're right, it is pathetic, but gestures like this end up being used 'ironically'- I've been guilty of it when hammered myself.

The 'Fortnite Generation' is basically the 8-14 year old demographic- mostly boys. I called it this as Fortnite is by far the most popular video game in the world right now, especially amongst this group. You see kids doing the dances it has, and shows like This Morning running concerned parent pieces on it. To which I would say to them- stop complaining and play the bloody game with your kids, it's damn fun

'Par off' is to ignore or blow off a person, typically in an overt fashion

Sounds crap tbh, and those parents should be taking their 8 year olds down the park and having a kickabout with them imo.

'Blow off a person'.......... mmm right, OK think we'll leave it there.:blink:

4 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Please tell me the players are known as "Mineheads"

Nope, "losers".

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Sounds crap tbh, and those parents should be taking their 8 year olds down the park and having a kickabout with them imo.

'Blow off a person'.......... mmm right, OK think we'll leave it there.:blink:

Christ someone come and collect their da....

Archived