IGNORED

Downsy - Dabbing

BessexRED

2 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

The bloke reminds me of that episode of Alan Partridge where he's the announcer of some village show and they all completely par off his boring and sometimes inappropriate chat. The main difference being Alan realized nobody wanted him there and he buggered off early.

“FIRE, FIRE THE FAIR’S ON FIRE!!”

Sure he’s a nice guy but just not right for the football club. He needs to remember he’s there to (in my opinion anyway) announce and inform, that is all. He’s not there to entertain like he is on his sam fm radio show. I also don’t think it helps that he so obviously had little interest in football or the football club before he started as he just doesn’t get his audience. I alway thought Tim shire did a good job when David Lloyd was away, keepers it simple and knew what was wanted as he was a fan aswell. 

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

I don't know the guy personally, but he seems like he'd be more suited to entertaining the kids in the top tier. 

He comes across as a cross between a hospital radio DJ and a failed Haven holiday rep. 

Agree about the point about his tweets, he needs to remember he's not a voice of the club and his tweets are his own 

#BRINGBACKLLOYDY

That’s pretty much my view. I have never felt he was the right person for stadium announcer or whatever the job title is. Yes he might be good with the kids, is he though really? But the demographic of supporters isn’t just made up of kids. I think he should be shunted off to the Family Area and someone more in keeping with our professional image should be used. We have made so many improvements off field since our redevelopment so why do we have someone like this as our public face? 

I’ve nothing against him, but if he or someone similar was on my tv or radio I would switch off. Once I’m in my seat at AG I don’t have that option. 

I'm sure Downsy's a lovely bloke.

BUT he's not a football fan and doesn't have the first clue about football. He can't even take the time to make sure he pronounces names properly. Some of his pronunciations are abysmal and we're talking about well known players who any football fan would know how to say their name.

I don't even have a problem with a non football fan doing that job, but I do have a problem with someone - when a big part of their role is reading the teams - not being bothered to make the effort to make sure they get it half right.

I can't fathom what was going through their heads when they thought he was suitable for the role, it just doesn't work.

12 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Keith Valle. A tosser of the highest order.

I once ordered a taxi ( Streamline) years ago but after the JB incident and it was none other than Keith Valle driving it.

Months later it turned out he was also using the taxi for drugs distribution and got sent down!

4 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I once ordered a taxi ( Streamline) years ago but after the JB incident and it was none other than Keith Valle driving it.

Months later it turned out he was also using the taxi for drugs distribution and got sent down!

I knew there was something else newsworthy about him but I couldn`t for the life of me remember what it was.

Unsurprisingly, he`s still seen as a hero over in gasland even after being convicted for drug dealing - insulting a City player cancels out a lot for them.

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

said it a few times but i can't believe the guy is still here.

repeatedly gets players names wrong, has named 12 players in the starting 11 a few times too. Also asking a 6 year old girl if she was ''just here to look at the players' legs'', asking someone ''what prem team you support'' and, after a 7 year old boy didn't know what area of Bristol he lived in, said ''come on, it's really not a difficult question''

as others have said he makes us look so tinpot at times &  given the amount of people that have been sacked for seemingly no reason, very surprised he's still around

You really could imagine Alan Partridge saying those things ?

2 hours ago, Dave L said:

I loved my time as Stadium Announcer at AG. If anybody wants to book me as an after dinner speaker, I've got a few good stories to tell ?  It was the SLO aspect of the job, and some of the abuse I copped, that finally wore me down and made me decide it was time to make way for someone else. For the record, I think Downsy does a good job. He's not everybody's cup of tea, but neither was I. You are never going to please everybody if you have any sort of front-line role in football, and you just have to accept that and carry on doing your best, and being true to your own style. Downsy is his own man, and he will carry on doing things in his own way. Good luck to him. I'm still around on matchdays, hosting in the Lansdown restaurant, catching up with some City legends, and very much enjoying my matchdays - out of the spotlight, but still very much involved with the club I love. I was in today as it happens, hosting some ground tours for Airbus managers who were there for a leadership conference, and enjoying some excellent tent-based banter with a few Rovers fans. COYR

But do you think his own style is acceptable cos I certainly don't. Asking children if they have come to stare at the players legs imo should have resulted in a instant dismissal. Who in their right mind asks a child that? 

He also once said please welcome back onto the pitch your boys in blue and white.

The problem is he never seems to learn from his mistakes.

He is a rugby man and I think he does a far better job at the rugby, his heart just isn't in it for the football.

I loved my time as Stadium Announcer at AG. If anybody wants to book me as an after dinner speaker, I've got a few good stories to tell ?  It was the SLO aspect of the job, and some of the abuse I copped, that finally wore me down and made me decide it was time to make way for someone else. For the record, I think Downsy does a good job. He's not everybody's cup of tea, but neither was I. You are never going to please everybody if you have any sort of front-line role in football, and you just have to accept that and carry on doing your best, and being true to your own style. Downsy is his own man, and he will carry on doing things in his own way. Good luck to him. I'm still around on matchdays, hosting in the Lansdown restaurant, catching up with some City legends, and very much enjoying my matchdays - out of the spotlight, but still very much involved with the club I love. I was in today as it happens, hosting some ground tours for Airbus managers who were there for a leadership conference, and enjoying some excellent tent-based banter with a few Rovers fans. COYR

But do you think his own style is acceptable cos I certainly don't. Asking children if they have come to stare at the players legs imo should have resulted in a instant dismissal. Who in their right mind asks a child that? 

He also once said please welcome back onto the pitch your boys in blue and white.

He is a rugby man and I think he does a far better job at the rugby, his heart just isn't in it for the football.

The guy at Liverpool is the most professional at the ‘announcer’ role I think - no frills, no cringey stuff, just a top professional.

However, I did laugh at the antics of the Charlton Athletic ‘announcer’ when they played Palace many moons ago....he announced “There’s a car in the away supporters’ car park with its lights left on, the registration plate is “P1KEY”.... he was relieved of his duties straight after....

4 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

How did you manage to post the same thing FOUR times?!

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

If it's good enough for the Norwegian Royal Family, it's good enough for us. 

Image result for norwegian prince dabs

Case proven, it's a CHILD doing it 

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Add to the fact no one can hear him through the bobbins PA...  It's almost as if people are looking for problems.

He was tweeting someone the other day saying city fans can obviously hear him as they moan about him

• Admin
1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

How did you manage to post the same thing FOUR times?!

My guess is it was posted on a mobile phone, it didn't look like it replied so pressed "submit reply" x 3, then when it went through, because all posted in a short space of time all the replies go into one post 

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I can't fathom what was going through their heads when they thought he was suitable for the role, it just doesn't work.

Lisa Knights doesn't like football either so why would she care?

On another note guys, try not getting so wound up by someone doing a questionable dance move yeah?

8 hours ago, BessexRED said:

I'm not sure if this has been covered in here yet, if so feel free to point it out.

I've just listened to Stan and Joe's podcast and they speak at the end about Downsy running between the kids with flags before the game on Sunday, waiting for the players live on the big screen saying "can we see some dabbing?" and encouraging kids to dab...

I can't comment as I wasn't in the ground at 2:50 but if this is right then **** me that's the most cringeworthy thing Downsy has done and there's an ever growing big list.

I have nothing against the bloke personally, I'm sure he's a lovely chap - but come on for crying out loud, stuff like this is so cheesy, tinpot or whatever word you want to throw at it. We're Bristol City not f****ng Reading, there have been several occasions where Downsy has made us look so tinpot.

I get that it's "harmless fun" which will no doubt be replied to this post and I was never David Lloyd's biggest fan but he knew the football club and his audience and he'd have never done anything like that nor would he scream down his mic "WELCOME BACK BRRRRRRRIIIISSSTOOOLLLL CITYYYYYYYYY" when the players are coming back out for the second half a couple of goals down, nor make an inappropriate joke to a 6 year old girl in front of 20,000 people about coming to a football match to eye up the football players legs.

I think he needs to realise he's not hosting a Sam FM show, he's the PA announcer at a proper football club and this sort of stuff needs nipping in the bud.

Wow.... just wow!

You can tell City won at the weekend as it seems some of us City fans are not happy unless we are moaning about something!

In this case the the original poster was not even at the game but still feels able to have a moan about it! 

I love Bristol City but sometimes I don’t love our fans... another example being those booing Marlon Pack in the first half in the South Stand. The guy has been a legend for a while, a great start to the season, leading as a captain should.... yet one 20 min dodgy spell and he’s the anti Christ. Embarrassing.

I would laugh but I truly believe the leaning towards being negative (more so than other fans of other teams) costs us points over the course of the season.

Re the dabbing, it’s for the kids who love it and it would have been a small part of a great day for the kids doing the guard of Honour. Even if you don’t like it, it’s not for you and barely lasted 5 seconds so no idea why it warrants a whole post on here.

It was 4-1 to city by the way!!

Come on you reds....

Archived