IGNORED

Downsy - Dabbing

BessexRED

1 hour ago, RightUpInCider said:

Wow.... just wow!

You can tell City won at the weekend as it seems some of us City fans are not happy unless we are moaning about something!

In this case the the original poster was not even at the game but still feels able to have a moan about it! 

I love Bristol City but sometimes I don’t love our fans... another example being those booing Marlon Pack in the first half in the South Stand. The guy has been a legend for a while, a great start to the season, leading as a captain should.... yet one 20 min dodgy spell and he’s the anti Christ. Embarrassing.

I would laugh but I truly believe the leaning towards being negative (more so than other fans of other teams) costs us points over the course of the season.

Re the dabbing, it’s for the kids who love it and it would have been a small part of a great day for the kids doing the guard of Honour. Even if you don’t like it, it’s not for you and barely lasted 5 seconds so no idea why it warrants a whole post on here.

It was 4-1 to city by the way!!

Come on you reds....

Complete and utter tosh

You obviously don’t have any sort of wide experience of other teams fans

or even bother to look at other Clubs forums

1 hour ago, RightUpInCider said:

Wow.... just wow!

You can tell City won at the weekend as it seems some of us City fans are not happy unless we are moaning about something!

In this case the the original poster was not even at the game but still feels able to have a moan about it! 

I love Bristol City but sometimes I don’t love our fans... another example being those booing Marlon Pack in the first half in the South Stand. The guy has been a legend for a while, a great start to the season, leading as a captain should.... yet one 20 min dodgy spell and he’s the anti Christ. Embarrassing.

I would laugh but I truly believe the leaning towards being negative (more so than other fans of other teams) costs us points over the course of the season.

Re the dabbing, it’s for the kids who love it and it would have been a small part of a great day for the kids doing the guard of Honour. Even if you don’t like it, it’s not for you and barely lasted 5 seconds so no idea why it warrants a whole post on here.

It was 4-1 to city by the way!!

Come on you reds....

Don't jump to conclusions - just because I wasn't in the ground 10 mins before kick off doesn't mean I didn't attend the game.

You're telling me young kids would've loved being asked to dab in front of 20,000 people on a big screen? Dabbing was a thing with kids about two years ago, as I've said in this thread Downsy's out of touch and as someone else said in the thread there's nowt more cringeworthy than a middle aged fella trying to pretend he's "down with the kids".

Bore off superfan.

17 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

'Dabbing' is a gesture that became extremely popular around 2016, and sadly persists to this day. You put one forearm parallel to your face, with the other one outstretched  to your side. It originally came to prominence with gang members in Atlanta who used it as an expression of happiness or goodwill. Eventually the internet took hold and now even Hillary Clinton did it in an effort to be down with the kids. Pogba and Lingard did it a lot when celebrating, so it's popular amongst the Fortnite generation. It can also be integrated into dancing to music, in particular hip hop and trap. It's already peaked but will still be around for a while

IMG_0667.JPG

TY Newquay, I've learnt something today that I didn't know. #GETTINGOLD. 

I remember meeting him when he was a presenter with Sam FM (not sure if he still is). He was out with the blonde presenter and a few other people that worked there, and they all seemed like a lovely bunch of people. I've got absolutely nothing against him.

With that being said, compared to how polished our social media presence and our website has become in the last few years, he feels a bit out-of-place. Leave the cringe at the door, and promote the club, rather than trying to build a rapport with the kids. If the kids are there to watch Bristol City, they don't want to ******* dab.

5 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I remember meeting him when he was a presenter with Sam FM (not sure if he still is). He was out with the blonde presenter and a few other people that worked there, and they all seemed like a lovely bunch of people. I've got absolutely nothing against him.

With that being said, compared to how polished our social media presence and our website has become in the last few years, he feels a bit out-of-place. Leave the cringe at the door, and promote the club, rather than trying to build a rapport with the kids. If the kids are there to watch Bristol City, they don't want to ******* dab.

Kids don't want to dab anyway, they've moved on to Flossing since then, and that is seen as cringe now too.

9 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

That's the thing. I don't doubt he's a decent enough guy.. just whether he's a good fit for the club. 

I don't think I've ever heard someone say anything to the effect of 'I really like the matchday announcer' - feedback seems unanimously negative or at best 'he's a bit better than he used to be'.

In 2 years, there are still the same complaints and that's not really good enough. I think he's probably ok for Rugby and other things, but Football is a bit different. It requires someone with genuine understanding of the club and fan culture and no matter how hard he tries I just can't see him 'getting' that.

As I said earlier, I'm sure he's a very nice guy. But is he the best person fit for the job? No, that's very obvious.

30 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Kids don't want to dab anyway, they've moved on to Flossing since then, and that is seen as cringe now too.

Have I moved into a parallel universe where I haven't got the foggiest what people are talking about? :dunno:

I assume neither mean what they meant a few years ago as a 'dab' was something teenage boys did to teenage girls then boasted about it and 'flossing' was cleaning the gaps between your teeth? 

Whoosh??? :(

9 hours ago, BessexRED said:

Don't jump to conclusions - just because I wasn't in the ground 10 mins before kick off doesn't mean I didn't attend the game.

You're telling me young kids would've loved being asked to dab in front of 20,000 people on a big screen? Dabbing was a thing with kids about two years ago, as I've said in this thread Downsy's out of touch and as someone else said in the thread there's nowt more cringeworthy than a middle aged fella trying to pretend he's "down with the kids".

Bore off superfan.

It was one of the kids who started the dabbing - and he asked the next one if he could dab too. Without being there you really are going to struggle with the context. Just to add, the kids weren't on the screen (it was the flag bearers).

The original complaint is really a non-issue.

19 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

There aren`t many sadder sights than seeing a middle aged man trying to `get down wiv da kidz` are there?

I wish we'd had this conversation sooner, RRH

I'm trying to keep up with two teenage daughters, it's bloody hard work. Wish I hadn't bothered now ?

11 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Complete and utter tosh

You obviously don’t have any sort of wide experience of other teams fans

or even bother to look at other Clubs forums

First point is your opinion. Fair enough though would be interest to understand why you think the level of negativity in the stands is a good thing. We are known for being a very fickle fan base... great when it’s great, poor when it’s poor.

Second point is wholly inaccurate.

Third point likewise.

11 hours ago, BessexRED said:

Bore off superfan.

Yes I am telling you that kids love it... I can speak with authority having taken my sons team to be guard of honour a few times over the years, including the Man U and Man City games last year and also managed to get us to Derby away ( having City fans doing he home guard of honour at pride park confused both teams!).

Anyway the FACT  is that lots of dabbing and smiling was involved.... especially when they were on the big screen. 

Not looking for an argument but I just prefer a half full vs half empty approach to life (including football) and also think it dangerous to speak for others (I.e let the kids speak for themselves as to whether they enjoyed it or not).

5 minutes ago, RightUpInCider said:

Yes I am telling you that kids love it... I can speak with authority having taken my sons team to be guard of honour a few times over the years, including the Man U and Man City games last year and also managed to get us to Derby away ( having City fans doing he home guard of honour at pride park confused both teams!).

Anyway the FACT  is that lots of dabbing and smiling was involved.... especially when they were on the big screen. 

Not looking for an argument but I just prefer a half full vs half empty approach to life (including football) and also think it dangerous to speak for others (I.e let the kids speak for themselves as to whether they enjoyed it or not).

Yeah exactly, those games were ******* 9 months ago - times change.

I'm not looking for an argument, I'm looking for an improvement on the matchday experience and I have every right to express my opinion given I pay through the nose to go home and away every single week. 

2 hours ago, Buckeyed said:

It was one of the kids who started the dabbing - and he asked the next one if he could dab too. Without being there you really are going to struggle with the context. Just to add, the kids weren't on the screen (it was the flag bearers).

The original complaint is really a non-issue.

Don't spoil the fun with actual facts please.

Wow it goes on. Guys, what you're really trying to say is "I don't like it", leave it at that and let someone else do the belittling and trend-explaining. And remember we spend a fair proportion of our lives talking to strangers about dabbing, food vouchers and seats in the concourse on an internet forum.

2 hours ago, BessexRED said:

Yet it was one of the flag bearers who started the dabbing and was all over after 10 seconds with all flag bearers smiling and enjoying themselves. Really such an over reaction to something you weren't there for.

2 hours ago, BessexRED said:

I'm not looking for an argument, I'm looking for an improvement on the matchday experience and I have every right to express my opinion given I pay through the nose to go home and away every single week. 

I have no problem with you expressing an opinion.... but if you express an opinion it is ok for it to be challenged (in a fair and no personal way).

I don’t think the dabbing was for your benefit, but clearly was for the kids who by the sounds of it enjoyed it on saturday as did my kids 9 months ago.

in terms of the match day experience, I think AG with the stadium concourse, seating, sense of being our home and the fans village outside is awesome.

What would you do to make it better match experience for you (without taking anything away from others, such as the kids who like a bit of dabbing).

That would be a good thing to post. ?

1 hour ago, Robin1988 said:

Wow it goes on. Guys, what you're really trying to say is "I don't like it", leave it at that and let someone else do the belittling and trend-explaining. And remember we spend a fair proportion of our lives talking to strangers about dabbing, food vouchers and seats in the concourse on an internet forum.

I like explaining trends on here. It isn't exactly a secret that the typical age of a user of this forum is in the grey zone, and it can be an irritating feeling being out of the loop and not knowing what people (such as the 'yoofs') are on about. I try to tell people in reasonable detail what on earth these things are as it can be helpful for some. Obviously some like to pick it apart but it's up to them; I don't expect them to suddenly love it just because I've explained it.

Plus I was on one boring ass train from Paddington to Truro yesterday so it was a nice way of killing the time.

7 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

I like explaining trends on here. It isn't exactly a secret that the typical age of a user of this forum is in the grey zone, and it can be an irritating feeling being out of the loop and not knowing what people (such as the 'yoofs') are on about. I try to tell people in reasonable detail what on earth these things are as it can be helpful for some. Obviously some like to pick it apart but it's up to them; I don't expect them to suddenly love it just because I've explained it.

Plus I was on one boring ass train from Paddington to Truro yesterday so it was a nice way of killing the time.

It wasn't aimed at you at all mate. Doesn't take much for a thread to go from I don't like xyz to "looks absolutely pathetic", taking the piss out of a guy because he wears a hat and @BessexRed becoming an expert in youth culture. How about we all chill out.

2 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

It wasn't aimed at you at all mate. Doesn't take much for a thread to go from I don't like xyz to "looks absolutely pathetic", taking the piss out of a guy because he wears a hat and @BessexRed becoming an expert in youth culture.

Don't worry mate, I didn't interpret it as anything vitriolic at all. Just wanted to clarify why I choose to do it at times even when there are many more interesting things to do in life (especially when you're 21). I am aware that it can cause deviations on threads although to be honest this one was destined for the gutter from the minute it was posted. 

Archived