IGNORED

Has Ashton Gate been turned down to host Rugby League in 2021?

Never to the dark side

I think I read somewhere, but cannot remember where, that the Rugby Premiership have a rule that their clubs are only allowed membership of the Premiership if they are one of two clubs that regularly use the nominated home stadium/pitch. 

If that is correct, the use of our stadium for a third sport would mean the Bristol Bears could be expelled. 

As I've said, I vaguely remember seeing this somewhere in the last year. But if I'm wrong, then apologies all round and I'll wait for the men in white coats to come and collect me.

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I think I read somewhere, but cannot remember where, that the Rugby Premiership have a rule that their clubs are only allowed membership of the Premiership if they are one of two clubs that regularly use the nominated home stadium/pitch. 

If that is correct, the use of our stadium for a third sport would mean the Bristol Bears could be expelled. 

As I've said, I vaguely remember seeing this somewhere in the last year. But if I'm wrong, then apologies all round and I'll wait for the men in white coats to come and collect me.

I think the key word there is `regularly`. If it was an issue for one off games like the RL World Cup then the same would apply were City to stage and England Ladies game for example or even, taking it to extremes, a Somerset exhibition cricket match (which we have had at AG in the past).

14 hours ago, kiwicolin said:

Hope it has been turned down , as advertising is sprayed on the pitch. It would look a mess afterwards.  Remembered when an  NFL game was played down the gate ,and it took ages to clear it off. We had a game on tv after that and it looked terrible 

That’s a bit of a ‘small time’ way of looking at it....our pitch can now cope with logo removal with no problems....any opportunity to highlight our club to the national and worldwide audiences should be taken....it can’t do any harm and, as a national supermarket chain pronounced “Every Little Helps”....

On 07/09/2018 at 16:04, WessexPest said:

Sadly not. Although I’d much rather see league at AG, which is easily the superior form of the game, than the kick and clap Yawnion rubbish that currently takes place there. I couldn’t care less about the Bristol Bears.

Totally agree - League by far a much more exciting game with less pointless rules and more free flowing action. 

I spent 10 years living in Sydney watching NRL and by comparison Union is slow and too heavily weighted towards kicking and not scoring tries for points. 

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 12:52, jambodinho said:

An NFL game was played at the gate? When? And who?

I remember going to one. It must have been nearly 30 years ago, eek!! It would've been when there was quite a big interest in the NFL over here - first time around. Bristol had a team called the Bombers if I recall correctly. 

Archived